Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet v BT v Talktalk

bewick
Grafter

Plusnet v BT v Talktalk

I’m getting confused by all of this.
Last June I was, yet again, faced with pure blackmail by netservicesplc. That is “your ISP has gone belly-up. Sign up to this expensive one (and still @ only 512kbps) or you will be cut off”
Since this was the 3rd time I rebelled and refused. I WAS cut off for 2 weeks – that is how long they took to remove the “tag” and BTwholesale were powerless to help!
But I had managed to find Plusnet – recommended by fellow Consumer Association members – before actually being cut off.

I actually WANTED to take advantage of the excellent Talktalk offer but their lead time was at least 8 weeks at that time. I couldn’t wait that long.

NOW I have NO problem with Plusnet. They have been excellent. My ONLY problem actually turned out to be a BTWholesale problem. Line problem now fixed.

Two neighbours HAVE signed up to Talktalk with NO reported problems.
I helped another friend to become connected but he (and my sister come to that, another netservicesplc victim, and against my advice) signed up to BTbroadband.
More expensive than Plusnet or Talktalk and with stupidly small limits – like 2Gb a month. I DON’T do P2P or download music or video or game but THAT limit would probably be a problem to me..

I have been seriously tempted by the Plusnet phone offer and may well take it up. BUT BT offer FREE caller ID but Plusnet charge for that and I rarely use the phone!! Then again Plusnet offer free evening and weekend calls (Tiscali only weekend) and Anytime for £4 - that is £6 cheaper than BT.
As for Broadband phone. Well Voipbuster is FAR cheaper than either Plusnet or BT or Skype.

ONE thing I HAVE noticed with all this deregulation is that EVERY company manages to impose conditions which are different from every other company making it a MAJOR problem to compare.
I note that BTWholesale are reducing prices to ISPs in May and again next year.

So to my questions:
1. Can we expect that Plusnet limits will be maintained?
2. Can we expect some consolidation between BT and Plusnet – particularly a serious increase in BT download limits and price reduction.
3. Can we expect a deal which even APPROACHES the Talktalk deal?

As I said I like Plusnet but, being in the fortunate position of having an exchange already able to provide the Talktalk offer then in July I could well change.
Loyalty goes out the window when money flashes! £21 including ALL calls looks pretty good compared to £26 + call charges!!! (what I now pay)

And yes I DO realise that since the Taltalk broadband is "free" that may limit my right to complain. A £25 "all in" deal with BT security might be attractive though. I'll probably wait until July to decide. Things may have changed by then!!
11 REPLIES
The_10th
Grafter

Plusnet v BT v Talktalk

Who is going to say that this isn't the place to discuss other ISP's offers? Wink
N/A

Plusnet v BT v Talktalk

This isn't the place to discuss other isp's offers. Tongue
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

Plusnet v BT v Talktalk

Hi,

I migrated to Plusnet from TalkTalk. In my experience TalkTalk gave a very poor ADSL connection with high pings (150ms+) at peak times for on line gaming. Also my line supports (BT website) around 3Mb. TalkTalk put me on 512Kb and said that was my maximum. Now on Plusnet I have 2Mb which is fine.

The worst part about TalkTalk is their helpdesk. They will continually let you down, lie to you and fail to do anything productive. This was my experience up until November.

Plusnet for my usage are alot faster, low gaming pings (around 20ms during peak times) and have a helpfull customer service and support team.

In the end you get what you pay for.

Hope that helps you out a bit.
suec45
Grafter

Plusnet v BT v Talktalk

TalkTalk were terrible when I was witrh them, but then again Plusnet are pretty bad at the moment too.

Its up to you mate.
N/A

Plusnet v BT v Talktalk

but then again Plusnet are pretty bad at the moment too.

Well - there has been some difficolt times - but - since a month or so - plusnet look improved alot ! and to my eyes at the moment look like the problems we had - are now past !

ive just moved connections to a new address - support and reply to tickets - ive sent - was excellent - with tickets answered and taken care in less than 24 hours ! even on saturday !

keep it this way plusnet !

raimondo
The_10th
Grafter

Plusnet v BT v Talktalk

A work colleague has moved from Pipex where he got 2Mbps and now gets 1.4Mbps with TT but loves the international phone calls and 40GB is a nice chunk of bandwidth which PN should adopt IMHO as most don't use more than 10GB anyway so having 40GB wouldn't be an unnecessary concern but good PR at the very least.

I like PN for its features and reliability and at least they are honest Wink and not overpriced.

I just hope that BT helpdesks aren't involved in ANY way with PN especially indian based ones we hear so much bad news of. :?
N/A

Plusnet v BT v Talktalk

Who is going to say that this isn't the place to discuss other ISP's offers? Wink

LOL - This isn't the place to discuss other ISPs!

Seriously though, so long as we stick to answering the questions the OP asked, I see no real reason for this to be moved, but I will be keeping an eye out to check that it doesn't go off topic, or end up as a love-fest for other ISP's. Wink
bewick
Grafter

Plusnet v BT v Talktalk

I like PN for its features and reliability and at least they are honest Wink and not overpriced.

:?

Me too - all I was really asking was whether we can now expect BT and Plusnet jointly to provide a REAL challenge to Talktalk.':idea:' OR do they propose effectively to continue competing against each other?

And yes I HAVE read the complaints about Taltalk - and virtually EVERY other ISP including PN AND BT - on other forums. PN uses the Tiscali LLU for my connection - as do Taltalk for my neighbours' connections. We all get something between 2 and 3Mbps and none of us have had problems - yet! Apart from problems with my external junction box. Before THAT was fixed I actually had poorer speeds than my neighbours.

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Enabled BBCode in this post to allow the
tags to work.
James
Grafter

Plusnet v BT v Talktalk

I don't think we'll ever be in a position where we'll be offered a commercially unsound pricing offering such as the likes of TalkTalk and Sky. Yes, I do appreciate that they have offer business offering that will be subsidising their loses on the broadband product.

Will we be in a position where the service we offer is a large improvement on those which they offer, then yes, I think we do, and I am certain that we will continue to improve and everyone will be glad that they have stuck by us following a difficult period.
___oDiN__
Grafter

Plusnet v BT v Talktalk

as an it technician who deals with home users and usually thier broadband suppliers i have to say that talktalk seem to be one of the worst compaines i have had the displeasure of dealing with.
thier support is a joke with unexperienced people on the phones reading from preset scripts, and unable to deviate from them to offer any real support beyond the basics. i have found thier activation times rarely come to fruition on the said date, last one was over a month later than said)
my worst isp i have had to deal with is AOL, i had a record 6 hrs on the phone with them last week when they cut off and then ceased a client without any reason or knowledge....

i think these compaines offering "free" broadband dont offer much in the line of support and often its because its free so what do you expect....
N/A

Plusnet v BT v Talktalk

Talk Talk is not that bad, I have referred two people mainly on the cost of the whole deal. One was making a lot of international calls which they only charge £1 a month for. They lived in the sticks and had to pay £30 a month for Phone, Line rental, inclusive anytime calls and International. This is £10 more than usual but they are really happy with the service. The family is on benefits because the breadwinner has terminal cancer and so the pennies really count. Their install was within quoted times and they remain happy.

The second one took a bit longer but it was BT's fault as they have to assess the line. I ended up contacting the MD of CPW and got a very pro-active chap who hassled BT and got it sorted. Money was also an issue for them as someone died and their pension was reduced. Under Plusnet they had 1mb and TT is giving them 1.2 at the moment, this is because the cabling of the house needs to be assessed.

It seems that when BT hand over the lines to TT they have to say what they are capable of and they often under spec them.

TT had 640,000 new customers in 6 months, they have employed over 2000 people in call centres mostly in South Africa. I found them very capable they were able to give me complex settings and you could at least understand what they were saying.

If TT or Bethere (£24 for 24mb) were on my exchange I would have probably left Plusnet by now, but I am glad to see the customer services at least improving. Hopefully the capacity will too.

My nephew is on AOL (recently bought by TT) 1mb service, he does loads of P2P and they do not bother him, they have recently introduced a FUP but so far he has not been affected.

I think TT open up broadband to a whole new market who could not access it. You can be sure that they are responsible for BT buying Plusnet and you can expect more consolidation in this market.

Personally I do not think the UK internet is ready for all the new media services and the FUPs will be a nightmare as these increase.