Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet username changing

The_10th
Grafter

Hi

In light of the spam problem in recent weeks is there or could there be a script on the portal to check if a PN username is 'free' if one wants to change their username to avoid spam?

Thanks.
7 REPLIES
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Sounds sensible- the code must be floating around PN towers somewhere as it does reject signups if the username has already been taken and prompts the user to try again. PlusNet's preferred approach seems to be with the free domain name and blackholing your @username.plus.com e-mail though, so not sure what development time this will get.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

In order to change your username you'll need to sign up for a free dialup account.

The sign up page on this will validate the username chosen, and tell you immediately if it's already allocated.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I assume changing username is still a manual process as I know there is a path when raising a ticket. (I say assume as I haven't tried to do it).

I'm sure it's possible to code something to check for username, I guess it's just a case of whether PlusNet feel it justifies the development time.

Not sure what you could do in the meatime, I guess you could try doing:
ping www.<desired username>.plus.com

(Can't get phpBB to not try to link it)

Won't work if the user hasn't enabled their webspace, or has left and had their account deleted - but it is something to try at least. If it comes back with a response then I guess you can assume that name is taken.

EDIT: Mand's just beaten me to it, and that seems a better course of action Smiley
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

I've just found this from Ian's previous post on the subject-

We have not been able to identify a straight-forward mechanism for making this change in our systems. As such, requests to change usernames will be carried out manually within our customer support centre. In order to achieve this, customers will be asked to create a new ‘free’ account and then raise a customer support question/ticket on your existing account containing details of the new username you have registered. The new Help Assistant path to request this will be available via the Help Assistant from the evening of Monday 11th June.

Once a ticket is raised, our support team will swap over the account details as soon as possible. Please note though that this process could take some time (potentially a number of weeks if a lot of requests are raised), and this may require us to call customers during the process in order to collect billing details (These cannot be moved between accounts and are not retrievable by our customer support team).

As such the tool as described by Nolans is already available as part of the process, although it is a pain if you just want to see if the username is free.

Another option is to wait for the option to blackhole your @username.plus.com addresses (coming soon) and simply use your domain (free or otherwise) for mail.
The_10th
Grafter

Hi there,

In order to change your username you'll need to sign up for a free dialup account.

The sign up page on this will validate the username chosen, and tell you immediately if it's already allocated.

I have seen this but like Peter said also it is a pain to go through all those steps for each attempt when surely it isn't too hard for the boffins at PN towers to put together a script like those used for checking if tld domains are free?

Maybe PUG would be interested?

I do feel that this tool to check even for new customers is much underestimated and PN should most definitely encourage sign-ups and let people see immediately if they have a name available.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Probably one for PUGIT I think, I'm sure it's a fairly simple query to create as the system does it during signup.
The_10th
Grafter

Anyone to take this on then?