cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet treat their customers like dirt.

N/A

Anyone thinking about joining Plusnets 2mb "unlimited" service may like to know about the most appaling treatment I have ever experienced from a company which I have just had from Plusnet.
I joined Plusnet last may on their Premier (not standard) 2mbps service which they offered as an unlimited download service, this service had a fair useage policy but at no time have they indicated what fair useage meant. I knew I would be a heavy user which is why I opted for the Premier as opposed to the standard cheaper service.
In late August I received a mail from them saying that they have now ammended their terms & conditions so I followed the link and had a scan of the pages & pages of small print and blurb but didn't see anything alarming.
On Thursday I recived an E-mail from them telling me that over the past two monthsI had used my connection too heavily by downloading over 150gig in a month which 30 gig was in peak time (4pm to 12am) and as punishment they are going to drop my connection from 2mbps to 67kbps with immediate effect for 30 days.
Now I know that 150gig is a lot but at no time had anyone given me any indication of what the download limit may be so I rang customer services. After being of hold for 25 minutes I got through to a link:CSA Removed who quite rudely told me that it was my own fault for not reading the new terms and conditions which clearly stated that the limit was 100gig. She refused to help me get my speed re-instated and said that I would need to raise a customer support ticket.
After I hung up the phone I carefully read the new terms and conditions to find that what she told me was utter rubbish as there was no mention whatsoever of a download limit of 100 gig and further to this they didn't even come into effect until Friday the 16th of September.
I then raised a customer issue ticket as she instructed staing that if they give me a guideline to follow I would and would they please put my service back to the 2mbps which I pay for as 67kbps is barely above dial up speed.
I checked the ticket through their site at 9.00am yesterday morning which was 13 hours after it was raised just to see there was no action so I rang the customer services again and spoke to a link:CSA Removed. He gave me the same story as link:CSA Removed claiming that the limit was stated in the new terms and conditions but when I got him to read them online he had to admit that there was absolutley no mention of 100gig per month or 30gig per month during peak times. After a conversation on the matter he even likened the situation to driving down a road with no stated speed limit and then getting a fine for exceeding it.
He went on to assure me that my speed would be restored sometime during the day but I got the distinct impression that he just said this to get me off the phone as he was becoming uncomfortable in defending his companies undefendable actions.
I was right in my assumption as at 10.30 Saturday morning I still have a 67kbps connection despite paying for a 2mbps, making two phone calls to their ineffective custmer services and logging the issue on the website. All I've got is a response to say that a link:CSA Removed viewed it a 16.12 and then internally assigned it to an link:CSA Removed but NOTHING has been done.
This is why I am now an extremely unhappy Plusnet customer and where I had previously reccommended their service to three friends I will now warn anybody I can to stay away from them as this must be the worst case of customer service I have ever experienced.
Anyone who reads this post and is thinking of joining Plusnet should really think again as I wouldn't wish this shabby treatment on anybody. Some of you may be thinking that my past useage may have been a bit heavy which I admit it has been but Plusnet have never given me any clear guidelines to follow and the FIRST time that they have indicated that my useage is higher than they are comfortable with they have INSTANTLY dropped my connection speed to one of just above dial up speed and say they will keep it there for 30 days and then a further threat is if I do it again then I will be dropped to 67kbps PERMANTLY. My big worry here is I can check my useage on their site to see what I have downloaded in total over one month but they off NO way of checking what I have downloaded during their peak times so once again I could overstep their mark without knowing it.
Through following links in this forum and the one on ADSL Guide I have finally found the information on Plusnets sustainable useage policy but firstly this was posted only a few days ago and I and many others are being penalised for the amount we downloaded way before it came into effect and secondly Plusnet should have E-mailed this new policy to all their customers to let them know where they stand in the FUTURE.
To use the speed limit example again it's just like the goverment dropping the national speed limit from 70mph to 60mph from today and then fining everyone who went over 60mph over the past three months.
I know this is a long post but I want everyone to know the full facts before joining Plusnet, I for one want my MAC key as I will not stay with a company who treats their customers in such an underhand and shabby way.
Thanks for reading.

[Moderator's note by Liam Martin (martinfamily): Removed CS Agents Names. This isn't allowed on the forums.]
79 REPLIES
Sandro
Grafter

Re: Plusnet treat their customers like dirt.

Now I know that 150gig is a lot but at no time had anyone given me any indication of what the download limit may be so I rang customer services..

That is exactly the point. I am trying hard to understand HOW PlusNet dare to punish folks for the overuse, the limits of which were OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED only on September 16th? And without introduction of a tool controlling peak times and off-peak times? How on earth one is supposed to distinguish?
It violates both Trading Standards and logic.

I've been trying to learn about those limits for months (when I realized that the "unlimited" service, in fact, was limited) -- instead I was getting very evasive answers. Had to apply for help for my boys to let them download as much as possible.. Though lately, reading this forum a limit of 150 GB was mentioned - and that was very vague as well.

Sanchez1, you are not the only one in this kind of soup - you should have posted your story to the general tread about the implementation of new limits.
N/A

I am sure all you say is true. Plusnet keep on speaking the majority of its customer who use the network to 10Gb or less per month.

A short period (4/5 mins) this morning using Google Earth has put 40/50 Mb onto my useage!!!

I can only assume that Plusnet will soon impose a 10Gb cap ( sorry sustainable usage guideline) to its account, all extra Gigabytes will then have to paid for as extra charge.

These paragons of virtue who use 10Gb or less per month would be able to save some money if they considered a move to an ISP who will clearly state what their caps are, which is just what my neighbour has done only 5 weeks after joining Plusnet.
N/A

Yes, why buy the 21.99 account if you're not going to use more than 10Gigs/mo anyway? The reason why I signed up for Premier was that I was planning to use LOTS of bandwidth. (And an inability to do so, both due to the SUP and the unreliable connection speeds is why I'm leaving this dump.)
Ben_Brown
Grafter

In April we announced that we were withdrawing our proposed Fair Usage Policy (FUP).

At that time we said that although there was no FUP, we would be contacting customers who used the service more in the manner of a commercial application to discuss their usage and to take further action if necessary to reduce the impact they have on other users of the service.

All we have done now (and also last month) is to put this into action. The service is a contended service and always has been, it is not unlimited.

Although there are no specific numbers in our terms and conditions, the ability to take action to protect our network and other users is, and has always been in our terms and conditions. In this respect, nothing has changed.

What has changed however, thanks to feedback from our customers, is that we have made details of the criteria used to select users which are impacting on the network public, so people can plan their usage better. As soon as we can we will be changing the View My Usage tool to show peak and off-peak usage separately which will further assist customers in planning thier usage.

What really needs to be kept in mind is that over 90% of our customers use less than 10GB a month, the percentage of customers that this policy will effect is very small, and the benefit to other customers will be considerable.

Also, please do not post agent names on this forum, it is againts the rules of this forum.
N/A

What really needs to be kept in mind is that over 90% of our customers use less than 10GB a month, the percentage of customers that this policy will effect is very small, and the benefit to other customers will be considerable.

we know that, we've heard it enough

Why not send everyone who used more than 10gb there MAC and be done with it.
madswitcher
Grafter

So Mr Brown

to use the original poster's analogy, you are fining a motorist for speeding when you will display the speed limit later and when you know he is driving with no speedometer.

Does this strike you as a tad unfair, if not imoral?

Mike
N/A

I cant believe they did that to you!
How disgusting! and here you have the agent trying to defend the decision with a lame and PATHETIC response!
PN know they're in the wrong! you just dont admit it as usual!
Just another unhappy customer..............
sickens me i tell you!

This company is run by a bunch of amateurs!

:twisted:
N/A

The service is a contended service and always has been

Well there is a difference between natural contention and forced contention.

As has been implied ad nauseam, forcing customers onto 67kpbs without advance warning is both draconian and direspectful.

Whose next PlusNet? the 80gb, 50 ? 20 ? 10 ? 5 ? just be sure that you advertise this to customers before they sign up.
N/A

Good point.
False advertising isnt the way to go
Community Veteran

I've only skimmed this thread and would agree the OP has been treated in a appauling manner.

However, I'm sure you will all understand that plusnet need to protect the network as a whole, which is why they have introduced such measures.

As Ben said the terms and conditions have always given them the right to do this, it is they haven't chosen to employ it fully until now.

I think the fairest thing for plusnet to do would be to lift the restrictions on the service of the heavy downloaders and if they exceed the usage guidelines again for the next period throttle them down.

I have to say it would appear that some of the heavy users have been in breach of contract as since they were throttled there have been a few posts saying about the increased performance on the connections, hence logic dictates the heavy users were in t & c speak "using the service to the detriment of others".

I think someone (Bob?) needs to have a word with the agent concered in the OP as what was said is clearly untrue.

Can I ask would those who are using their connections above the 100GB mark, be willing to pay the true costs for a truly unlimited connection, if so I'm sure plusnet would consider launching one, as it would be a extremely lucrative market.

Can I also ask what the actual monthly figure is for 1/30 of a 2MB connection, plusnet should set this as their SUP figure if it is more.
N/A

Good point.

Wouldn't you like to join my ISP? Fictional-Internet?

It's a 1gbps service, with unlimited download? :lol: :lol: happy faces, designer graphics, fancy typeface

Only a one-off cost of £100... payable to Me PLC

Just be sure to read the terms and conditions:
I am in total control of the service, and the service is not guaranteed.

Cheesy
N/A

i can do the same for only £21.99 and i will give you 1gb webspace :-)
N/A

LOL.....i think you both have excellent offers!!!
PN you hear that? you have some serious competition! i think they can crush any competion...never mind PN!!!
N/A

Good point.

Wouldn't you like to join my ISP? Fictional-Internet?

It's a 1gbps service, with unlimited download? :lol: :lol: happy faces, designer graphics, fancy typeface

Cheesy

lol prob still be faster thanplusnet...

when are exactly quite times on lusnet network lol as i aint seen sppeds above 30 on my downloads.....

thats it im away to register crap.net as i am 99% sue tht what they will change the name to as there no plus in a contention of a 2mb service down to a 25kb connection utter crap no matter the time of day...pish pish pish

damn thy obviously either alread own crap.net or have to bu it from someone.