cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet to compete with Homechoice by providing TV channels

N/A

That aint true but it should be.

Homechoice will be a force to reckoned with since they offer broadband and digital on-demand TV in one package at an attractive price. All through a BT line.

Telewest, have similarly attractive all-in-one packages but through cable.

The future is about bringing the internet into the living room, and that means tighter integration with TV.

Plusnet, watch out. Match what they do or become one of the ISP minnows. You can take it as a given that the other ISP giants are already getting the TV ball rolling.
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Let them get being an ISP on track, Please.

We have already seen how diversifying from their core business over the last 12 months have been a joke.

Lets KISS and become a master of one trade again.

Chilly
N/A

it seems to be LLU and LLU isnt widely avail yet :/
N/A

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/22/iptv_research/

BT, Wanadoo, Bulldog, Tiscali, even Sky and Telewest are going the TV broadband route.

BT will be the first to roll out in 2006.

The choice is simple in the long term.

Punters will vote with their pockets.

Understand that entertainment and the internet are inextricably linked.

Diversify or die.
N/A

Hi there,

Plus Net are well aware of and prepared for the arrival of IPTV and other advanced services. Until BT complete the roll out of faster speeds, which are currently in trial, no ipstream isp in the UK can offer these products properly.

Plus Net have also announced an LLU option which will further permit customers, who can take up this offer, to avail of the faster speeds.

As for BT's IPTV service from what I have read previously, BT's products arent due to be launched until Autumn 2006.

So rather than diversify or die, they are, as usual, well ahead of the game.
N/A

Not everyone wants to use the internet as a television etc. Most peole are satisfied with TV, Radio, Skyboxes, recorders etc. I beleive that will be the case for many years to come.
N/A

Not everyone wants to use the internet as a television etc. Most peole are satisfied with TV, Radio, Skyboxes, recorders etc. I beleive that will be the case for many years to come.

yes but why not have the best of both worlds?
N/A

[]

Why? Cheesy
Alecto
Grafter

I think there's money to be made in quill pens and am going to get in a large stock of them with a view to getting rich.
After all, everybody who is anybody writes long letters in copperplate handwriting on sheets of papyrus and I can't see them ever changing.
:lol:
N/A

And the benifits of watching tv on a 19" monitor as opposed to a 32" LCD television set are.............?
N/A

I think we should return to the past glories, dial-up, 250mhx processors, 15inch crt screens, no sound, worperfect 5.1. Such an uncomplicated and quiet lifestyle. And Dot matrix printers were the crem-de-la-crem. :lol:
N/A

And the benifits of watching tv on a 19" monitor as opposed to a 32" LCD television set are.............?

why cant you watch it on the 32" LCD? HomeChoice doesnt require you to watch on a PC monitor. BT's IPTV wont require that either.

Oh and...the 19" monitor is high definition, whilst the 32" LCD TV may not necessarily be HD.

my point is, whilst we have Sky Plus so we can record whatever we want and watch it when we want, IPTV lets us choose what to watch whenever we want. they can work at the same time, so why not have both? Sky's acquisition of Easynet will mean just this - although BSkyB have Sky Plus, they'll still release an on-demand service via Easynet.
N/A

I'd rather watch tv on a 50inch Plasma screen with cinema sound myself, and use DOS on a 386, I must be strange Tongue
N/A

[Oh and...the 19" monitor is high definition, whilst the 32" LCD TV may not necessarily be HD..

It is......... but that is beside the point.I will confess to having given it some thought but not sure I like what is written here http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=plusnet&Number=2199993&page=1&view=expanded&sb=5... and wonder how it is going to fit in to Plusnets plans.Also it appears the necessary software is not available for Macs yet...... unless anyone knows different.So for me it will the big grey box in the corner for the forseeable future :-)
N/A

meh, i use sky by broadband. bandwidth hasnt been an issue for me because i done download with it at peak times.