cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet - time to stop and think

N/A

I know that we've had the BB+ usage cap finally revealed (or invented at the coffee machine) today but, unless someone at plusnet sits down and thinks very carefully over this whole sorry confusion, plusnet will be barely alive as an ISP this time next year.

Just hav a look at what we've had imposed recently:

2 usage allowances
2 different peak times
A blind P2P/FTP allowance

.....and now BB+ with a 5GB cap- at peak time - something that was certainly never mentioned when most if not all BB+ users signed up. I realise that ISPs have a business to run but PN have made this so complicated that even their own staff dont know whats going on.

This was caused by PN being greedy and going for broke on customer acquisition with over zealous advertising - they then realised we didnt all fit in the pot so theyve had to split the pots up.

You cant keep changing the T&Cs, you cant keep changing allowances and time zones. There will be a lot of people watching very carefully in the coming months - if it goes wrong, you will lose customers in droves. Customer satisaction must be at the lowest ever.

As I write this I am running bitcomet which, with 20 seeds, is downloading at 1kb. Im on premier and Ive used nothing this month worth talking about.

We do notice when you are throttling even outside of the umpteen usage limits.

You have been warned!
15 REPLIES
N/A

Agreed.

Im leaving because my net usage is increasing. However reading about the situation with other customers makes me believe I made the right choice in leaving.

Plusnet used to brilliant. I once had them on dial up a few years back and it was the best 56k network I was ever on.

Then my 1st BB is Plusnet Premier. It is not the ultimate broadband experience due to these changes. It should not be advertised as such IMO.

I know PN has to make themselves sustainable financially etc but the changes are too much and Im not even a big downloader.
N/A

I'll be glad in 5 months when my contract runs out on premier (thats should be spelt poo) so i can find a decent isp
N/A

I think the most annoying thing is that they imposed these restrictions without prior warning! Evil

Imagine getting a parking ticket for parking in what you thought was a free car park and on complaining being told, "Yes sir, you need a permit to park here now, we just haven't gotten around to putting the signs up yet!"

PlusNet have baisically done the same thing here and it's unforgivable.
JonathanW
Grafter

Re: Plusnet - time to stop and think

Just hav a look at what we've had imposed recently:
2 usage allowances

I assume here that you're talking about the SUP and Clean To usage allowances? The latter was introduced as a direct result of customer feedback, as there were lots of customers saying that usenet and p2p were running slowly, so we took that on board and came up with this, which started off as the Clean Usenet allowance in November.

2 different peak times

We've said that this is going to be reduced back to one peak time, running from 4pm to midnight, as soon as the process is fully automated. But whilst there's still a lot of manual work involved we need the extended peak time just for the Clean To usage.

A blind P2P/FTP allowance

All of the usage figures are available on the website, so there's nothing blind about Premier at all.

.....and now BB+ with a 5GB cap- at peak time - something that was certainly never mentioned when most if not all BB+ users signed up. I realise that ISPs have a business to run but PN have made this so complicated that even their own staff dont know whats going on.

As stated by Stew in the original post, this isn't a cap, its a guideline only as Plus was never designed to have set usage levels but instead it's supposed to be a little more fluid.

You cant keep changing the T&Cs, you cant keep changing allowances and time zones. There will be a lot of people watching very carefully in the coming months - if it goes wrong, you will lose customers in droves. Customer satisaction must be at the lowest ever.

None of this is a change of terms and conditions, as its all covered under the Ts&Cs that were brought into effect at the start of September, changes that all of our current customers have accepted.

As I write this I am running bitcomet which, with 20 seeds, is downloading at 1kb. Im on premier and Ive used nothing this month worth talking about.

In cases like this, where you've not done enough to cross the 20Gb Clean To threshold, I would suggest things such as running a BT speed checker, if everything is slow, or raising a ticket if only p2p/usenet are being affected by this.
N/A

that all of our current customers have accepted.

Ah but they didn't. I joined in August and never received the infamous email that everybody was supposed to get. By the time I found out about it I was past the cutoff date

raising a ticket if only p2p/usenet are being affected by this.

And your ticket can join mine in stagnating in their queue - 6 days. If I'm lucky I get a response to my latest update about 18 hours after my update. My latest update was at 21:00 last night and to date nobody from CS has deigned to reply.
alben
Grafter

Yesterday I received an email informing that I have been put on level one management. This was without the warning email, that gives you a chance to reduce your usage! This is not the way to keep customers.
JonathanW
Grafter

As has been said elsewhere, the emails have only just been introduced, which means that some customers will unfortunately already have passed the trigger point for the warning email. In some cases its also possible for a customer to have passed the usage threshold for one of the other Levels, meaning that the first email they receive will be for the next usage threshold they cross.

Whilst this isn't an ideal situation, it was the only way to introduce the emails, so that they are in place moving forwards.
N/A

cant be bothered to quote all of mr whitings post but there are a efw things wrong that need addressing.

1. you are correcting the two peak times - yes we know you are but it was madness to bring this ridiculous anomaly in the first place.

2. everyone has accepted the T&Cs - these were brought in by stealth and you know it - to say you accept it unless you dont is ridiculous

3, the p2p clean allowance - no-one can measure this at the moment - it's like driving without a speedometer

4. the BT speed check - that old chestnut!!!!!!
N/A

As has been said elsewhere, the emails have only just been introduced, which means that some customers will unfortunately already have passed the trigger point for the warning email. In some cases its also possible for a customer to have passed the usage threshold for one of the other Levels, meaning that the first email they receive will be for the next usage threshold they cross.

And does this also explain why people are being crippled when their ticket clearly says they haven't been limited?
JonathanW
Grafter

1. you are correcting the two peak times - yes we know you are but it was madness to bring this ridiculous anomaly in the first place.

This is the only way that the Clean To usage could be introduced when it was. Its much easier to introduce a manual process to improve things for the customer than to make them wait whilst the full automation is built. Its not an ideal solution, but it has improved things for the majority of customers.

2. everyone has accepted the T&Cs - these were brought in by stealth and you know it - to say you accept it unless you dont is ridiculous

This is the way that our T&Cs changes have always been carried out, and this is laid out in the Terms that you did accept on signup. The changes were communicated to everyone via email to the address which we require you to monitor.

3, the p2p clean allowance - no-one can measure this at the moment - it's like driving without a speedometer

We have recently made changes to VMBU in order to break down the usage further, and act as a guideline in order for people to keep an eye on this usage. Whilst this doesn't give exact figures for just p2p/ftp/nntp it works in conjunction with the peak time VMBU that was already in place and forms a good guideline that you can link to the kinds of usage that you know you've been doing at those times.

4. the BT speed check - that old chestnut!!!!!!

The BT Speed Checker is an important tool, as if you are having generic speed problems, with all of your traffic, we can't raise this to BT unless their own Speed Checker confirms your speed issue.
N/A

Success! I'm getting my MAC with the rest of my annual fee waived. It took 2 threats of legal action though. I still have to pay the activation fee but am happy with that.

I used to rate +Net as the best, that's why I joined in August. However after this debacle with SUPs FUPs and any other TLA you can think of, I now don't rate them at all.

It would be nice to say that I've enjoyed my time with them but I can't bring myself to utter such a blatant lie.

Yes this is probably off topic and will be deleted but I don't care anymore
N/A

Another ME too

I have been bumped onto a level 3 management thingy.. :? .... Which means that DLs will now take 4 times as long as they did a week ago. :shock:

[WARNING: Ramble mode ON] Wink
But hang on my billing date is today..... so yippie I should be back to full speed and i'll try and avoid using the internet during daylight hours, i'll stay awake till midnight and turn on my news feed then i'll get up at 7:50 - to turn it off.

But hang on....... my speed is still 128...... that means my usage has not been reset... is it a one time limit in any month, as in..... Go past a limit bud and your stuck with your new lower DL limit for life..... no can't be....can it? Surely PN would not be that unkind - they must have tested these new fangled limiters and they work with perfect robotic precision. Must be a fault........
[Ramble mode OFF] Shockedops:

Anyways.... I think I might take a look at a new ISP.... I hear Huh and the art of the motorcycle .... are good. But without that motorcycle. Wink
N/A

WellI'd never thougth I'd be thinking about changing ISP, I'm a stubborn old git, and wanted to see if plusnet were going to make things easier to understand and tell us about any changed via e-mails. But they have not done any of that,. Evil
N/A

I went straight to Level 3, Thats nice of Plusnet. End of the month I'm off. Had enough of Plusnet changing the goalposts everytime I log on. :twisted: