cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet telephone service

N/A

Having been forced to pay to download and receive spam about the Plusnet telecom service, I thought I would check it out. Hopefully this feedback will see the product maturing into something that is useful and competitive.

Well the landline rental is no cheaper so no benefit in moving that.

The minimum contract is one month but they charge you £20 to leave. BT don't do that and there is no way I would even consider a service with such a sting in the tail.

The email suggests that it is a benefit to have one bill, except that you don't actually get a bill, just an online one. You can get an online bill with BT anyway and a cost of calls todate by calling BT.

BT include Caller ID, Plusnet charge for it.

BT include voice mail BT Answer Plusnet charge for it.

The anytime service does not seem to be that competitive, "Home Phone Anytime+ will be £15 per month in addition to your existing broadband subscription". So with Plusnet's cheapest service being £14.99 you are looking at £30 a month.

Talk Talk offer a similar package with free calls to europe and australia for £20.99.

So it all comes down to the rates for international calls, I can't seem to find them.

I see little point in releasing details about a product if you don't list the whole deal. Exactly what are the rates and exactly what countries are included in the Anytime+ package.

I think this is a lost opportunity, overall it adds up to less services for more money.

I look forward to finding out the full details of the deal.

http://www.plus.net/features/promotions/landline_phone_faq.shtml#19
14 REPLIES
N/A

I think one, perhaps salient, point missed from your summary is

Remember, the Home Phone Anytime plan includes 240 minutes of local and national calls and the Home Phone Anytime+ package includes all local and national calls, plus calls to popular international destinations.

clearly a benefit in the PN package.

Ultimately this is the direction in which the market is heading and that same market will determine what benefits the end user will receive.

Before any of us consider moving to this offering, i think there are one or two other areas which Plus Net need to sort out first, to instill sufficient confidence in the userbase before we sign up enmasse.

Hopefully, before the product is launced, we will all be in a better position to make an informed choice.
holdtight
Grafter

Good post ibc01 and something i have also been looking into since recieving the email

I have been looking into the same/similar questions and for anyone to change i believe the product would have to be competitive i just cant see where it would be of any benefit at all to change so my vote is a definate NO for now anyway

This is in no way a competitive product and there is no incetive to swap from BT to plusnet that i can see anyway

Im still getting charged by BT four pound something for caller display since when have they changed it so that its included Evil

Bill.
N/A

BT include Caller ID, Plusnet charge for it.

yeah, likewise. i am also being charged for this. Sad

/me heads off to shout at BT
craign
Grafter

Subscribe to "BT Privacy at Home", and "Caller Id" can be included for free.*

Look at www.bt.co.uk, At home, Calling Features, Free Features

And the ts&cs only seem to require that you make some calls.

"BT residential customers making some calls on the BT network can opt in to receive Caller Display for free, subject to availability. Analogue lines only. Caller display equipment required. Numbers will not be registered if the call is from payphones; some switchboards; non-BT networks; or where a caller’s number is withheld. Allow 28 days for activation of telephone preference service. Terms and conditions apply"
N/A

In answer to the poll/OP no idea.

Until the product is launched then theres no point in even thinking about it.

By the time it goes live there will be competing offers, changes to exsisting offers and probably even changes to the pn offer in response.
the VoIP service was changed three times before it was released (increasing allowances mainly).

Things change too fast to say until the product is actually available to sign up.

If it saves me money then yes I probably will, it's not a total unbundling of my line and should only cost 20quid to get out anyway.
N/A

I agree with you Richard, what is the point of asking a customer to consider a proposition and not giving them the full facts.

I did fail to mention the 240 minutes, with Plusnet costing around £10 more than Talk Talk (and we still don't know if they include all the countries that TT do) those minutes are costing you 4p a minute.

Every customer has different needs, I like a predictable cost so I am on anytime. I recently considered Talk Talk and two things held me back, one was the limited email addresses and the other was the cost for the international calls we make. We pay 42p a minute for these with one tel (owned by TT) but TT charge £1.10 per minute.

The danger of consolidating is that people will not see the "value added" services of Plusnet.

I already have VOIP, I use Draytel, I have two lines coming out of the router to which I have attached DECT phones. I got these off eBay and made sure that they were the same model (BT Synergy 3105) as my land line.

Now if I want to use VOIP I just change base station, I have all the voicemail free and I got an 0845 number for a one off payment of £9. The call rates are free to other VOIP users (I am linked to all my work colleagues on speeddial) and the international rates are not bad if you buy £20 at a time. So I see no benefit of the plusnet VOIP service.

Analysts were right to mark down the Plusnet shares after the Talk Talk announcement. It opens up new markets for pensioners and low income families.

For the moment I am sticking with Plusnet, I already downgraded my service to PAYG when they ceased to offer an unlimited service. That cost them £120 a year and they have no product in the unlimited market. The danger now is what Sky will offer and what happens when Talk Talk improves it service and call rates.

I hope that they develop this offering to be truly competitive.
N/A

lol they cant answer there phones within an hour why should i change 2 there phone service?Huh
N/A

If you have your phone with them, then do you still have to pay to call up customer service?

That'd be an interesting one for them..
N/A

Currently I'm on BT together option 3 (£30 pcm line rental). Call me crazy but I'm certainly going to try the Plusnet anytime service (£15 pcm). So I will be saving £15 per month in my case.

The product is a BT openreach WLR rental product (or so plusnet tell us). I have read through the Openreach documentation thouroughly. Given the regulated nature, plusnet have certain minimum obligations to meet (very much like BT retail). Having said that, I dont think they will be able get away with having similar questionnable support on the landline service as they do on their broadband products. It is effectively the same service you pay BT retail for, so for me, it is just like taking my business from BT retail and giving it to PlusNet. The line is still managed/fixed/repaired by BT. If you look at the product handbook, the SP has many ways of interfacing with openreach. So for instance, I could raise a fault online with plusnet, and you would still get all the automated test suite and fault reporting that BT get.
shellsong
Grafter

When you dial 150 will you get rerouted to the Plusnet CS line? :lol:
N/A

Monthly line rental has to be much cheaper, i.e. fiver or less per month. But I'm really waiting for the time that users are not forced to have a fix line to receive broadband.

I have already another Voip local geographic number through sipgate. So a combination of voip, mobile and telephone box across the road I should be pretty much covered. The only caveat to this is a better telephone response from PN when broadband is lost. Support calls only lasting a few minutes and not hours.
N/A

I dont think I can trust any company enough to base everything with them lol.

Only a joke, but could you imagine this as a thought. Your internet goes down which could be caused by Plusnet. You then try and phone them and find its down also cause their servers are down Wink . This off course is nothing short of sure speculation and is in no way fact.

Its simply how I look at things at times lol.

Ill stick with my seperate providers thanks. It may cost that little extra more, but 4 years and 0 problems speaks for itself in my book.
N/A

Transferring from BT to PlusTalk Anytime would effectively raise my household's rental costs, as we use voicemail and caller line identification (via "BT Privacy at Home"), which are available for free with BT Together Option 1, but Plusnet plan to charge for.

Additionally, if you choose a Plusnet landline package, you cannot then change your Broadband provider without changing your telephone provider:

33. Can I move my broadband to another provider and keep my calls package?
No, you need to be a PlusNet broadband customer to benefit from our landline

Then ,it seems, you'd need to add the £20 landline leaving fee, to any other costs arising from leaving broadband!

Crucially at present, I wouldn't consider transferring my landline to Plusnet, until I was satisfied that they could maintain a high level of customer support.
GersFans
Grafter

lol they cant answer there phones within an hour why should i change 2 there phone service?Huh

Agreed. I wouldn't trust PN with a domain name never mind control of my landline.