cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet speeding towards faster broadband

N/A

We are pleased to announce that up to 24Mb broadband speeds will be available before Christmas 2005. This is via a trial with Easynet based on their Local Loop Unbundled network which means we can offer the highest available speeds to customers in selected areas in the UK from December

Earlier in the year, we also took part in BT's IPStream Max trials which offered speeds of up to 8Mb to residential and business customers. From 30th November we will be providing these high speeds to customers in more than 25 exchanges across Greater London, Strathclyde, South Glamorgan, Cornwall and Northern Ireland. Several thousand existing PlusNet customers will receive free speed upgrades as soon as their exchange is upgraded.

PlusNet broadband services at speeds of up to 8Mb are available from just £14.99 per month. Pricing and availability for speeds up to 24Mb will be available in the next few weeks.

This further shows our commitment to deliver high speed broadband to our customers
76 REPLIES
Community Veteran

If the price is right - count me in.

Im currently on a 1mb line, and according to discussions with people on UKOnline (who use easynet) using LLU technology could see me obtain up tp 3.5mb, but more likely 3mb.

Excellent news.
N/A

Wow, so then theoretically we could all reach the 30GB 'cap' in just over 7 days? Can't wait!
N/A

Wow, so then theoretically we could all reach the 30GB 'cap' in just over 7 days? Can't wait!

lol! They'll probably give speeds of up to 24mb but have a 10gb DL limit a month. :lol:
N/A

Is there any reliable way of finding out what speeds my line will qualify for once it is unbundled? Im currently stuck on 1mb because of my line length (I am getting line attenuation(sp?) of 50db).
Community Veteran

Can we avoid the little digs at PN - made in jest or otherwise.

Stewart has probably just made the biggest announcement from PN in a long time, this topic is going to be massive, so lets get it off on the right track.

In answer to your question phewes, there is no specific answer, and from the knowledge I have gained doing some digging arround in the UKOnline and Bulldog forums, the speed on LU is determined more by your SNR than your attenuation.

This actually makes sense. As more and more sensetive equipment is manufactured, the actual volume of your signal (affected by attenuation) becomes less imprtant than its quality (SNR).

Depending on kit, people are seeing steady connections with anything as low as 4/db , but 10 is usually treated as a minimum.

A rule of thumb is, for every doubling of your line speed you will see a drop of approx 6db on your SNR - once youe get to about 10db, then thats your approximate max speed. For speeds above 4mb/6mb then the reduction to your SNR will become greater exponentionaly (maybe 9 or 10db when moving from 8>10mb and so on...)

For example, my line when I had 52k was sitting at 53db attenuation and 27db SNR.

When I was moved to 1mb, this became 20/21db SNR.

If my line goes to 2mb, then I'll be looking at 14/15db SNR.

Go to 4mb and things start to look "iffy" at 8/9db SNR.

Hence my estimate will be 3/3.5mb max speed on my line with LLU.

The reason BT use attenuation is because of the vast number of variables they have to deal with. Somebody like myself with 53db attenuation may well be able to get 2mb becase I have a nice shiny new line - however there will be people out there on older lines that have the same attenuation but much worse SNR who couldnt possibly receive 2mb.
So BT play the safe option by stating that anyone with lessthan 43db attenuation is highly likely to have a line quality good enough for 2mb, and similarly with the otherfigures for 1mb and 512k.

The lower numbers on LLU allow the providers to tweak these limits more finely and even address individual connections as the numbers are not to great to deal with - how this will change in the future nobody knows.

I do have some further questions about this LLU option with Plusnet, but I'll hold off for a while and give others a chance to jump in on this topic Cheesy
N/A

I was considering changing over to BE, as their service will be at my exchange in December 05. They offer upto 24Mbps for £24 a month.

I'll just hang in here and see what happens with PN, with whom I'm happy with at the moment. I thought that originally PN was going to peak at 8Mbps and that was going to be expensive too.

This is good news for PN customers providing they don't price it greedily.

Mick
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Is there a list of exchanges that are unbungled by easynet and any that are expected in the near future? I know my exchange isn't and wont be for a long time if it ever is, but I can see a lot of people wanting to know.

Also will all people served by an easynet exchange be moved to LLU, or just those for the higher speeds?

Phil
N/A

See the Sam Knows website for details on most LLU providers.
N/A

Hello this is a list of new exchanges posted in the f9 forums. Nothing Confirmed. You can also goto adslguide.org for a list of MAXdsl New Trial Exchange's

This is the list and we expect this list to grow to 50 exchanges by Jan and upto 150 by Feb

Bangor (NI)
Belfast Balmoral
Belfast City
Chiswick
Connel
Dalmally
Earls Court
East Kilbride
Glasgow Cambuslang
Greengairs
Harlesden
Harrow
Helensburgh
Kensington Gardens
Kimarnock
Langside
Llandaff
Llanishen
Lochgoilhead
Ochiltree
Radyr Glam
Rhoose
South Kensington
St Ives (Cornwall)
West Kensington
Community Veteran

Thats the MaxDSL exchange list I beleive - Easynet have far more than that..

look at this list for LLU enabled exchanges - find your exchange name and se if it has Easynet enabled...

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/llu-league.php
N/A

I have been told that my exchange will be LLU enabled (with a different provider) come march 2006.
What I am interested to know is PN's price for up to 24mb.
I am interested as I have already been quoted a confirmed £20 a month MAXIMUM for life. Will PN be able to keep up with this or are we likely to see prices that are going to be much higher ?
N/A

m.u.s.t. h.a.v.e. m.o.r.e. s.p.e.e.d.
Community Veteran

I doubt we wil see anything like £20 for life on an up to 24mb product as this sounds way to cheap.

I would think it likely that Be will soon change that pricing model also. This sounds like a marketing ploy with figures such as 24mb and £20 strung together people take notice.

Be or more correctly, Bostream, built up to be the biggest ISP in Sweden using a similar format, massive speeds, silly prices - get enough on board and you then have the clout to clobber the wholesaler - but I am sceptical that they have bitten off more than they can chew when it comes to working with BT.

I would forsee massive shaping with their product at these rates.

It seems like a ploy by Be to get into the LLU market and gobble up as much of the market share as possible in order to force competitors to charge higher rates to cover their costs, therefore making Be still appear more attractive even if they increase their charges slightly.

Its a proven model, but by jumping into Be on their £20 for life offer, you play into their game - they then could shape your traffic horrendously, and you then have a choice, leave and pay another provider £29.99 or put up with it.

Being British, the majority would rant, rave, swear and shout - then put up with it.
N/A

I agree on that.

The british public to have a tendancy to do everything apart from take action. Enough said. I was merely wondering as I dont think a lot of us could or would be able to pay something like £50 a month for up to 24mb.
It is something that would gain my attention but it would wholey depend on the pricing module. I sincerely hope that it would be reasonable to give more users the opportunity to experience this new found speed and be able to enjoy their online experience even more.