cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet pricing

N/A

Plusnet pricing

Broadband accounts should be charged based on usage not speed.
Usage limits and managment are here to stay (although it will be nice when they settle on a solution, finally!).

When (or if) my line becomes capable of speeds, say 8MBs then I want that speed (what happened during the Aprill upgrades for free), but I don't necessarily want to increase my level of usage.

This policy would make sence. If you consider all the 'managment' policies currently being implemented - they are all focused on usage.

Being provided with the maximum speed possible should be expected.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Plusnet pricing

I think bb should be priced on usage or speed not both.

In this case PN pay BT for capacity not speed and as such I see no reason why we could not have the higher speeds for free but with the same usage allowances.

There will be some that say "well what's the point in the higher speeds if the limits don't change" i currently use less than 10gig per month so even if my usage increased with speed which it won't i'd have to be on 20mb before I exceed the current SUP.

There are many of us who want the speed but not to download lots.

Pricing soley by usage means that people cannot make claims about unlimited connections etc...
Community Veteran

Plusnet pricing

If you want a broadband account where you pay for your usage then just change to the broadband PAYG product.
vic_newey
Grafter

Plusnet pricing

Definately priced on usage, those of us who are stuck on 512 or 1meg because of line conditions are not going to be happy paying the same as others who are on higher bandwidths & therefore costing +net more from BT
I can't see myself getting more than 1 meg for years to come but we do have Blueyonder installed if push comes to shove
N/A

Plusnet pricing

petervaughan,

that may have been the obvious choice but, at the price I currently pay I would only get 8GB of data (1gb being included in the £14.99).

The idea I'm trying to get across is that the current price I pay (£21.99) should be for the data usage it currently includes (100gb any-time / 30gb peak-time*). And my speed should match the maximum the line can supply.

The current 4MB @ £29.99 (150gb any-time / 45gb peak-time*)
The current 8MB @ £39.99 (200gb any-time / 60gb peak-time*)

Eg. If I download alot, and I don't want to breach SUP levels the only option I have is to move up to the next option. Even though linked to speed, I can't receive 4MB or higher (and not likely to for a very long time)!! But, If I wanted faster downloads (and was able to receive such) but not more uasage, again my only option is to move up to £29.99/£39.99.
I just think the fastest speed is something we should get as standard, regardless of our usage.

Some name suggestions:
Broadband Premier 130 @ £21.99
Broadband Premier 195 @ £29.99
Broadband Premier 260 @ £39.99
All three available at the maximum possible speed.

* Data Usage based on current SUP levels (email warning band)
N/A

Plusnet pricing

If you want a broadband account where you pay for your usage then just change to the broadband PAYG product.

Peter, I have to agree with Daniel on this one. a PAYG account is fine. But how about those of use who use 10 - 20GB a month. thats £24.99 - £34.99 a month on PAYG. This is where the £21.99 premier account is useful as it allows you to save and have the allowance you need.

I to agree that max speeds should be readily available but with different allowances. This is the way the market is going after all. Being charged by usage and not speed.

regards,
tex
Grafter

Plusnet pricing

I say: unlimited bandwidth and paid-for speeds

Although this is only useful for people like myself who use the internet a lot for gaming, emailing etc. I'm sure not-so-frequent users would like to pay for how much bandwidth they consume and have the fastest speeds available. This is where the sales directors come in and do assments :lol:
N/A

Plusnet pricing

I say: unlimited bandwidth and paid-for speeds

At quite a few hundred pounds a month, there wont be too many takers for that one.
N/A

Plusnet pricing

the problem here is it'll only take what

622/8 = 77 Users to fill a full pipe doing a download at the same time.

Sicne we only have 4 pipes and 1 segment of a 5th, there simply isnt enough bandwidth to supply anyone with a conneciton that actually runs to up to 8mbit.

out of 150K customers, its likely that several hundred are downloading at line speed be it a linux iso or whateva.

Since bt centrals wont really be seeign any major price reduction, although i believe port costs are due to be reduced, then i cant see how plusnet or any other isp thats using btwholesale being able to provide anywhere near 8mbit. even off peak. If say 100 users of the current off peak downloaders got 8mbit. wham, theres 600mbit. and well that would probabily nearly max out the network.

Its going to be an interesting few months.