cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet.....nothing but lies

N/A

When i signed up to plusnet i wanted to make sure i was getting a no limits package with the 2mb premier account. I asked several times before i signed up and the response i got was "we dont like to call it unlimited but as long as you dont download 24/7 you will be fine" I though that sounded fair. My usage over the past 3 months has been around an average of 250gb a month due to the fact i have 2 other house mates sharing the connection so 3 pcs in total. The usage works out at about 10 hours a day which i thought was more than ok considering i was only told not to download 24hrs a day. I had my account capped and found out there was a limit after all which i wasn't happy about due to not being told. I was told my account would be uncapped if i promised to lower my usage and not download any more than a quarter of my allowance over the next 7 days, During all this i was told on the phone that my limit was 150gb a month and in 7 days i downloaded 27.7gb which i thought was fine. Ive now just had my account suspended again and have been told that the limit is 100gb not 150gb and i downloaded 27.7gb which is more than the 25gb allowed. I am furious that i was told 150gb, the 150gb is even mentioned in an email but they are unwilling to unsuspend my account as the limit is 100 not 150......it doesn't matter what i was told on the phone apparently.
They will now keep me capped for 30 days but still expect my payment in a week ...lol....basically plusnet have done nothing but lie to me over the phone and then have the nerve to limit my account.
36 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

This topic has already been discussed at length on this forum and others.

Although we haven't always been clear with the limits on the accounts, they have never been described as unlimited in our terms and conditions. The service is contended and very heavy use of it affects other users of the service.

We are now very clear with the levels of usage we consider sustainable and the actions taken if they are exceeded, which is described at http://www.plus.net/support/features/sustainable_usage_guide.shtml.
Metalguru
Grafter

But that dosen't sort out beasty54's problem.

As you can see he joined before all your latest T&C's & SUP came into force.
At that time he was told what he was told. And I assume no one has told him anything differant.

Yes, I know you will bang on about not declining the new T&C's therefore by default accepting them. But I am very sceptical concerning the legalities of such a process.

Even now (looking through these and other forums) there is some suggestion that your sales staff are still doing the same sort of sales patterl in order to get peeps signed up.

Yet another example of dodgy business practices.

Still I guess you need the new sign up's, to mitagate for the loss of many of your long term customers.
ceridwen
Grafter

Ben,

There are many who in the past have asked on the forums what the sustainable level of use were - and from postings here and on AG many who have asked similar questions from CS (either by phone or ticket). Such people in the past have been told varying figures from 100-400GB a month.

As PN has chosen not to notify people about the SUP figures until they hit them, these people will continue to use the service within the levels of use which PN had advised them was acceptable (and which PN had not advised them had changed).

Such people are likely to be annoyed when their account is throttled because they have exceeded a limit they were never told about (and not exceeded a limit they were told about), and such annoyed people are likely to complain here or on AG.

So unfortunately, Ben, PN's policy of not informing the customers about SUP will just result in similar postings reoccuring in the near future - if PN isn't happy about that, PN will have to change its policy of what it does and does not choose to tell its customers.

Matthew
Ben_Brown
Grafter

We do tell our customers about SUP, the link I provided is linked from the front page of the member centre.

The vast majority of our customers however will never need to know about SUP, as their usage is far below the levels in the SUP. Over 90% of our users use less than 10GB a month in total. There is no reason to make these customers aware of the SUP.
N/A

I really cannot understand why people continue to complain.

Plusnet could not give a toss what you think, say or complain about.

They have retrospectively implemented this SUP policy, refused to give customers the means of checking their peak time usage (oh sorry I mean they are still developing it!). Their position is, as far as I can see, if you do not like it leave. If you are unfortunate enough to have signed up for a 12 month contract, you have to wait or pay up any outstanding months.
N/A

Does the 45 day guarantee not apply anymore then, i was a bit peeved to find my service was below par and am deciding to upgrade to premier, I recieved an email to day informing me if i chose to leave i would have to pay off my contract- ive been with plus net a week!
N/A

Does the 45 day guarantee not apply anymore then, i was a bit peeved to find my service was below par and am deciding to upgrade to premier, I recieved an email to day informing me if i chose to leave i would have to pay off my contract- ive been with plus net a week!

Don't know you need to check the T&C's when you signed up.
N/A

@mrwatts
This link will take you to the 45 day guarantee. There is also a link at the bottom of the page for the t&c.

http://www.plus.net/features/customer_guarantee.shtml?link=residential_guarantee
N/A

We do tell our customers about SUP, the link I provided is linked from the front page of the member centre.

The vast majority of our customers however will never need to know about SUP, as their usage is far below the levels in the SUP. Over 90% of our users use less than 10GB a month in total. There is no reason to make these customers aware of the SUP.

Those are astonishing words, Ben....truly astonishing.......

In any well-managed service-based organisation, it's considered good practice to be open and transparent with your customer base whenever significant events occur whch may, at some point in time, impact upon the level of service they receive.

The fact that Plusnet, in your own words, feel "there is no reason to make these customers aware" of the newly defined interpretation of what constitutes sustainable useage is neither here nor there.

If you don't mailshot all your customers, there are many who would never know they've exceeded Plusnet's arbitrary bandwidth "limit" until it happens.

And making reference to the fact that guidance exists in the Member Centre is more than a bit disingenuous, unless you directly inform your customers in plain English that the SUP guide is hosted there & they should go read it.

I repeat. Openness and transparency are essential.

After all, what would Plusnet have to fear if everything you've said about it not being likely to impact on them is true anyway?
N/A

You will have to pay activation fee & the modem, the "guarantee" says "nothing to loose", but you have to pay that.

I also requested a MAC a few days ago and that was what I was told, no mention of paying off the contract. That is one point, the 45 day guarantee seems to be clear about.
Metalguru
Grafter

.............. 45 day guarantee ..........

Nothing But Lies
N/A

Thank you for all the replies.....After my first service restriction i decided i had no choice to go along with the limits, so i did.
I watched my downloads very carefully and was amazed when i was restricted again. Here is what my email said the first time my service was capped

"You have used over 150GB of data a month, at least twice in the last three months."

AND

"You have used over 30GB of data a month during peak-time hours, at least twice in the last three months."

I thought this was very clear on what my limits were, as well as being told the same over the phone.
It turns out that the 30gb limit is correct but the 150gb limit is not, its actually 100gb
So what the hell is this email aboutHuh?

Customer services said the following "150gb was just used as a figure, its not actually the limit on your service" Shocked

This to me is just rediculous and i still cant believe that they expect me to pay and continue using the service when i'm finding it hard to even browse properly

I keep getting told over and over again to read the terms and conditions and they keep giving me that link, and its gettin on my tits now, If i asked customer support a question, why do i then need to double check the terms and conditions. I dont expect the so called customer support to give me false information and then say well you should have read the terms and conditions. if i get given that link once more (by customer support) i'm gonna print it off, drive down to the offices and ram it down someones throat.....i'm sick of seeing it!!!!
N/A

beasty54,

Sorry to be frank about it, but, as simmonds88 has already said:

Plusnet could not give a toss what you think, say or complain about.

And so your only real alternative here is to request your MAC, pay any outstanding monies due, and migrate to another ISP. Bantering with PN's customer service (if you can call it that these days) will only make you more annoyed. They aren't supplying (or are not willing to supply, or even can't supply) the service you originally signed up for so your best bet is to just move on.
N/A

yeah i realise that now and luckily i am moving to a cable area in 2 weeks so i can get a 10mb service with telewest (when its upgraded) NO way am i paying any more to plusnet though