Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet new user - initial observations

starfry
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Plusnet new user - initial observations

I wanted to write down my initial thoughts on PlusNet for all to see. Maybe Plusnet customer support would care to comment ?

I signed up last week and currently do not have ADSL as it is being processed. However I have started to use the portal and dial up services and I have started to plan how I wish to use the service.

First observations:

You don't get told that the Fax to E-mail service is a national rate number until after you sign up. Would one not expect a local call ?

The ability to host multiple domains is not fully explained. It should not be necessary to transfer domain management to PlusNet in order to host domains. Also, the fact that you can only host two domains in additon to www.name.plus.com is not explained. I should be able to host as many domains as I like, within the constraints of the available space.

There should be full instructions how to cause a domain managed elsewhere to redirect to the plusnet web server / e-mail server. (without transferring it to plusnet).

If a domain is transferred to plusnet, there seems no information of the renewal costs.

The webmail service only 1/2 works. Yes, you can get e-mails from your other e-mail accounts but these don't get downloaded when you connect to the pop server from outlook. Also, getting mail from third party sites requires you to use webmail. Just connecting to the pop server is not enough. I expect ALL of my mail to download when I conect to the pop server.

Forwarding of attachments does not seem to work.

When reading up before sigining it appeared that plusnet allowed multiple static IP addresses. It is again disappointing to find this not to be the case.

I will say that, although I feel the service isn't living up to my expectations, the support centre does seem to be responsive and does seem to give sensible answers.

I am still in my seven day period. I want to stay here but I am encountering too many issues which are affecting my ability to meet my objectives. It appears that the value-added features of plusnet fall short of the mark, removing the reasons for choosing plusnet.
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Plusnet new user - initial observations

Hi John,

Hopefully I will be able to answer all of your questions..

> You don't get told that the Fax to E-mail service is a national rate number until after you sign up. Would one not expect a local call?

The fax2email facility is a value added service on your account and has always been a national rate number. This is not a facility we are going to change but apologies if you expected an 0845 number.

> The ability to host multiple domains is not fully explained. It should not be necessary to transfer domain management to PlusNet in order to host domains.

We can host domains without passing control of the domain accross but we prefer to control domains as it makes problem diagnosis easier. If you want to manually transfer in a domain you will have to raise this through contact us. For your information this called "enter existing domain" internally.

> Also, the fact that you can only host two domains in additon to www.name.plus.com is not explained. I should be able to host as many domains as I like, within the constraints of the available space.

You can host as many domains on your account as you want. The first three are hosted for free and anything after that is £25 a year (this does not include the username.plus.com domain which will not use up one of the free hosting slots)

> If a domain is transferred to plusnet, there seems no information of the renewal costs.

If the billing contact on a domain is set to us then the renewal charges are:

£45+VAT for .uk domains
£79+VAT for .com, .org etc domains

> The webmail service only 1/2 works. Yes, you can get e-mails from your other e-mail accounts but these don't get downloaded when you connect to the pop server from outlook. Also, getting mail from third party sites requires you to use webmail. Just connecting to the pop server is not enough. I expect ALL of my mail to download when I conect to the pop server.

If you want to collect non-plusnet mail at home through outlook then you will have to set up multiple accounts, one for each pop3 mailbox. The only thing to note is that the SMTP server should always be set to relay.plus.net

> Forwarding of attachments does not seem to work.

These are stripped and if you want to forward them you will have to save them to your hard drive and reattach them.

> When reading up before sigining it appeared that plusnet allowed multiple static IP addresses. It is again disappointing to find this not to be the case.

We do allow multiple static IP addresses but only on our high end business ADSL accounts.

> I will say that, although I feel the service isn't living up to my expectations, the support centre does seem to be responsive and does seem to give sensible answers.

Thanks, we try our best.

> I am still in my seven day period. I want to stay here but I am encountering too many issues which are affecting my ability to meet my objectives. It appears that the value-added features of plusnet fall short of the mark, removing the reasons for choosing plusnet.

Sorry to hear that you feel like this, we are always open to suggestions so please feel free to ask and we will be able to pass these through to management.

Hope this helps

Regards

Josh
--
| Josh Berry.......................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support........................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd.............@http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
starfry
Rising Star

>
> The fax2email facility is a value added service on your account and has always been a national rate number. This is not a facility we are going to change but apologies if you expected an 0845 number.
>
Not good but I expect one can live with it.

> We can host domains without passing control of the domain accross but we prefer to control domains as it makes problem diagnosis easier. If you want to manually transfer in a domain you will have to raise this through contact us. For your information this called "enter existing domain" internally.
>
OK I will do this... I presume I can use my 250Mb to host three websites on different domains, none of which is www.name.plus.com ?

> You can host as many domains on your account as you want. The first three are hosted for free and anything after that is £25 a year (this does not include the username.plus.com domain which will not use up one of the free hosting slots)
>
SO to comfirm I understand you I can host three domain names for no additional charge, none of which is www.name.plus.com (I don't want to use www.name.plus.com at all!!) ?

> If the billing contact on a domain is set to us then the renewal charges are:
>
> £45+VAT for .uk domains
> £79+VAT for .com, .org etc domains
>
As I suspected, more expensive than leaving them hosted where they are. Maybe you should offer an incentive to move them. If you were cheaper then I probably would move them.

>
> If you want to collect non-plusnet mail at home through outlook then you will have to set up multiple accounts, one for each pop3 mailbox. The only thing to note is that the SMTP server should always be set to relay.plus.net
>
OK I see. I thought that once the mails were in plusnet, they were in plusnet and that's where you got them from. I have noticed that when you download them from the original site's pop server they disappear from the webmail too. That's cool - how do you do that ?

> [attachments] are stripped and if you want to forward them you will have to save them to your hard drive and reattach them.
>
That is plain stupid (apologies for being blunt). Maybe you can give me a positive reason why this is deemed a good idea ?

> We do allow multiple static IP addresses but only on our high end business ADSL accounts.
>
Come on, your competition does this (Zen for one). Let's have 4 static IP addresses on the home package please...

>
> [cut] we are always open to suggestions so please feel free to ask and we will be able to pass these through to management.
>
Will you raise the requests thru management for multiple static IP addresses please ?

N/A

> I presume I can use my 250Mb to host three websites on different domains, none of which is www.name.plus.com ?
>

Good Morning

Absolutely, note that you can use the My Domain Names tool to point each domain at a sub-folder so you can have each domain completely separate.

eg:
www.mydomain1.co.uk could be in the folder /htdocs/domain1/ and
www.mydomain2.co.uk could be in the folder
/htdocs/domain2/

> SO to comfirm I understand you I can host three domain names for no additional charge, none of which is www.name.plus.com

That is completely correct.

> OK I see. I thought that once the mails were in plusnet, they were in plusnet and that's where you got them from. I have noticed that when you download them from the original site's pop server they disappear from the webmail too. That's cool - how do you do that ?

Our webmail system connects as your mail client would, directly to the POP server, however instead of deleting the mails when it has downloaded them it leaves them there for you to access with your mail client. If you delete them with your mail client then access the webmail again it will then read the list of messages again and update itself accordingly.

> > [attachments] are stripped
> That is plain stupid (apologies for being blunt). Maybe you can give me a positive reason why this is deemed a good idea ?

This is the way that the application was written.

> Come on, your competition does this (Zen for one). Let's have 4 static IP addresses on the home package please...
> Will you raise the requests thru management for multiple static IP addresses please ?

I can answer both questions at once here.

4 IP blocks can be assigned to home accounts if they are authorised by management.
You would need to raise a contact us ticket justifying the need for an IP block to be assigned, this can then be sent to the relevant manager for authorisation.

Kind Regards

Duncan
--
| Duncan Scotland          Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support    for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ------- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ---------
starfry
Rising Star

Duncan could you please take my request and look into it for me. I have raised a ticket for this and got a negative response. I have replied to this saying that the cop-out answer of using virtual servers and port forwarding would not work.

Firstly, how can anyone say that when they don't know the applications I am using ?

Secondly, if port forwarding and virtual servers was the way forward then why isn't the whole 'net using it ?

Thirdly, I really feel that, as PlusNet can provide this service I ask that they do... Due to the negative response yesterday I am seriously considering canceling my order tomorrow.

A bit of extra information... I need to access similar ports on more than one machine. Playing around with port numbers will mean rebuilding applications. I can't do this and this will cause me considerable difficulty.
I need to point domains at individual REAL IP addresses on my servers, as my apps require this.

If Plus can't do this I feel I will have to go elsewhere. Shame really, as it's just starting to come together.

> 4 IP blocks can be assigned to home accounts if they are authorised by management.
> You would need to raise a contact us ticket justifying the need for an IP block to be assigned, this can then be sent to the relevant manager for authorisation.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Duncan
> --
> | Duncan Scotland          Unmetered & ADSL solutions
N/A

> Duncan could you please take my request and look into it for me. I have raised a ticket for this and got a negative response. I have replied to this saying that the cop-out answer of using virtual servers and port forwarding would not work.
>
> Firstly, how can anyone say that when they don't know the applications I am using ?
>
> Secondly, if port forwarding and virtual servers was the way forward then why isn't the whole 'net using it ?
>
> Thirdly, I really feel that, as PlusNet can provide this service I ask that they do... Due to the negative response yesterday I am seriously considering canceling my order tomorrow.
>
> A bit of extra information... I need to access similar ports on more than one machine. Playing around with port numbers will mean rebuilding applications. I can't do this and this will cause me considerable difficulty.
> I need to point domains at individual REAL IP addresses on my servers, as my apps require this.
>
> If Plus can't do this I feel I will have to go elsewhere. Shame really, as it's just starting to come together.
>
>

Hi John,

I have passed your ticket back to be reviewed. You can update this ticket further yourself once we have commented on it. Also you will be able to track the tickets progress on-line.

Regards

Dave

--
| David Scarpa...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----