Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet is bouncing Freeserve mail servers

silentmonkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It would appear that Plusnet are using a block list server that has blocked freeserve mail servers from sending to plusnet users.

No while I do not support the use of spam isn't this a sledgehammer to crack a small but annoying nut. Legitimate email sent from freeserve users can no longer be accepted by plusnet while using this block list server.

-------- Snip ---------------------------------------------------------

This is the SMTP Server program at host me.freeserve.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned
below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the message returned below.

The SMTP Server program
<mark@silentmonkey.com>: host mx.core.plus.net[212.159.11.36] said:
550-rejected because 193.252.22.158 is in a black list at
550-sblmirror.relaycheck.plus.net 550
http://www.spamhaus.org/SBL/sbl.lasso?query=SBL12077

---------------------------------- end snip -------------------------------------------

Check out the URL to find the reason why.

What does everyone out there think. Is this reasonable or will it end in all ISP's blocking all other ISP's with mail going nowhere?
9 REPLIES
hitachi
Grafter

Hi
Freeserve seem a popular target, Jolt caused gaming chaos last week by blocking freeserve from their servers for a few hours .Having just moved from freeserve to plusnet my firewall logs now only take a fraction of their previous disk space. :lol:
Ianwild
Grafter

This will always be a difficult line to draw. The reality though is that Freeserve would not treat us any differently if the tables were reversed. The use of RBL lists is becoming standard among ISPs and in general they are VERY effective at ensuring ISPs respond properly to cases of their customers abusing their service.

If this is still a problem in a few days I will be happy to ask the engineers here to manually whitelist freeserve, but really the best course of action is for the person using Freeserve to contact them and make sure they are dealing with this - As I said, this list is used by a lot of ISPs and email users in general (With programs like Spampal)...

Regards,

Ian
bootletip
Grafter

this would explain why I have been having a problem

I have just gone over to plusnet from freeserve, and I had e.mailed all my contacts to let them know of my change of house address, but inteneded to keep old freeserve address. but people kept getting messages to me bounced back.

I came to plus net because I am fed up with spam, I was getting about 50 a day on ntl, less on freeserve. but used my house move and subsequent broadband move to change to a new isp. and so far I am amazed with the terrific service from plus.net it has been excellent - I wish I had found them earlier.

happy christmas to all
mike001
Grafter

This will always be a difficult line to draw. The reality though is that Freeserve would not treat us any differently if the tables were reversed. The use of RBL lists is becoming standard among ISPs and in general they are VERY effective at ensuring ISPs respond properly to cases of their customers abusing their service.

If this is still a problem in a few days I will be happy to ask the engineers here to manually whitelist freeserve, but really the best course of action is for the person using Freeserve to contact them and make sure they are dealing with this - As I said, this list is used by a lot of ISPs and email users in general (With programs like Spampal)...

Regards,

Ian

Right on...it is about time freeserve did some thing about the spam thay let thro there servers :-)
painswck
Grafter

Hi, I have received some mail from Freeserve today.

I hope this means that they have done something about their spam.

Cheers

Roland
N/A

Are you subscribed to EasyStart package or the spam package?

If not, you will receive e-mail as normal.

If so, then it looks like the block may no longer in in force
painswck
Grafter

No not subscribed to these.

The way I read the various official posts was that the block was at a basic level, and not related to the anti-spam packages, to reduce the spam traffic on the mail servers.

Just checked Spamhaus and it would appear that Freeserve is still listed.

Cheers
N/A

My situation is slightkly different as I use Plus Net (equivalent) to down load Freserve, I get no spam from Freeserve, but loads via PlusNet. Most recent days Freeserve mail is not always getting through, but no message says that my ISP is blocking it . (Thou' I wish they would block Real Spam). To the contrary mailwasher says it is my password!
Cheers
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

I think that your problem is with the address that spammers know for you rather than with any configuration on our servers.

Just to let everyone know, however, we manually whitelisted freeserve on our mail servers just before Christmas rather than wait for them to contact spamhaus and get themselves unlisted (which would be the correct, but much slower fix for the problem) because so many people get mail from people using freeserve addresses.

Regards,