cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet getting much better lately!

suec45
Grafter

Guys I just thought a congrats was in order, as this forum is always full of moans.

I am on PN Premier, For the first time in over a year, this morning at 6am, I saw P2P speeds hit over 200K Smiley.

I know this is still not great considering we are on a 8mb line, but its a definite improvement from the usual 20-80K we have been seeing over the past 6 months to a year.

ALso the connection is much less sluggish and browsing is smooth.

Please keep it up with the improvements! You are on the right track to get Pllusnet back to the top again.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Its a shame they still have to bang their heads against the large dinosaur brick wall that is BT.

PN can improve all they like, and they certainly have, but when any faults have to be passed back to a company that couldnt find its own backside with both hands, never mind customer service, its always going to be hard work.

It shows just how prepared BT are to offer a decent service when they are unable to allow end users to contact them.

If I have a problem with a gas pipe leaking outside my house, I dont have to go through NPower - I deal direct with Transco on their contact number.

If I have a problem with my Nissan or my Seat and the dealer/s cant help, I can contact the head office of the manufacturer.

It is only this shoddy industry where BT get to hide behind ISP's and provide a pathetic service to end users, leaving the ISP to take the flak.

A ruddy great round of applause is needed for the Customer Service Centre of this ISP and all others for having to put up with the fact that when its BT's fault, we can only rant at our ISP.
N/A

It shows just how prepared BT are to offer a decent service when they are unable to allow end users to contact them.

I don't know any Telco who will take a call from an end user, be they retail or huge corporate, where the service has been sold on through another organisation.
Community Veteran

Thats a different scenario though. Im talking about contacting the people who actually provision the system.

Broadband is the only industry I know of where the end users have no route into the providers of the service.

For example, I have a problem with my connection, and its starting to become glaringly obvious that its a BT error, but can I as the end user contact the company responsible for my line?

If I have a problem with my gas meter, I can contact my supplier, but I can also contact transco if I wanted.

The reason BT wholesale still provide such a crap service, is they know full well the customers cant do a thing about it. So there is no incentive to improve.

If BT wholesale could be contacted directly by people with line faults, I bet the turnaround would be slightly quicker after the first month of them having to be responsible for their actions effects on customers.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Chesterfield,

Whilst I can see where you're coming from I think we need to bear in mind that BT Wholesale are essentially a reseller. If they offered first line support to the degree that you're referring to then can you imagine the prices us ISPs would have to pay? I dread to think, but I'm sure it would be out of reach of the vast majority of residential households.

In no way am I justifying the system. I've worked in the industry for some time so chances are it frustrates me more than it does you guys, the end users. All I'm saying I guess, is that you need to consider the amount of lines that Wholesale provision. To provide end user support at this level would involve vast amounts of cash. It's millions and millions of customers!

Regarding BT's incentive to improve, I think you need to factor in the regulators. I'm sure BT would love to lay miles and miles of lovely high-speed fibre to customers' premises if they could reap the rewards, but what's the point if the regulators are just going to make them sell it to resellers at similar overheads to what they themselves have to pay?

I guess I'm just replying to have a bit of a rant at the UK's telephony/data infrastructure but heh why not early on a Saturday morning Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran

Back to the subject of original post ...

I absolutely agree. I don't use P2P but browsing/streaming and download speeds have been spot on recently. I get my maximum download speed almost all the time now - even in the evenings.

Brilliant - keep up the good work.

Bob
suec45
Grafter

OVER 300K on Bitorrent this morning at 5am!!!!

This was unheard of a month ago!

Keep it up guys!

I seriously have not had over 100K on a torrent for about 8 months at any time until last night..

SALUTE!
bigtim
Grafter

Lets hope we all can get these speed increases as mine is 50 in the day 20 at evening and 100 nearly after 12am on maxdsl
suec45
Grafter

Well, I am only talking about early morning speeds, not peak time/just after peak time.

Best thing to do is leave torrents downloading overnight.