cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet gets slated in a 4 page article by the reg

Community Veteran

It's too long to post it all here so heres the link to it!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/27/mac_ofcom_plusnet/

What cancellation fee is being talked about here? If it's deffered activation then yeah I side with PN on this one they shouldn't have to give out macs unless an account is fully settled!
5 REPLIES
James
Grafter

It'll be deferred charges. One of the longer rants I've read in a while.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I read it as the deferred activation and hardware fees.
Community Veteran

Thats what I thought!

I got bored of it half way down page 2 lol

Frustrating for a consumer, yes, but great material for a consumer journalist.

Or just for a *insert word here* with too much time on his hands...
N/A

In case anybody is interested, here is the original article mentioned, including Liam's reponse (quoted below for ease)
On February 13th, 2007, lmartin says:
Hi there Andrew,
My name is Liam Martin and I work in the Comms Team here at PlusNet. Firstly I would like to apologise if you felt the service you received from our Support Centre was not as good as it should be. We take feedback on the experience of our support very seriously. In the event customers do need to contact us, whether it is to join us, or leave us, or 'in-life' - we want their experience to be as smooth as possible. I apologise if this wasn't the case for you.
Our position with regards to MAC keys has always, in the past, been that customers are obliged to pay all their contractual fees and notice period subscription before we would issue a MAC. This is nothing more than an administration decision - and I think that is fair enough to be honest. We're not really a 'large' ISP.
Of course we will comply with Ofcom's new procedure and legislation - but this doesn't detract from the fact that some customers will still have contractual obligations - be it in the form of deferred setup fees or the notice period. All that will now happen is that ISPs will make more use of debt collection agencies to claim monies owed.
However, we do understand that our service will never cater everyone. Customers' needs will change, and our products (and the way we supply them) will too. In no way do we use "brute force" tactics to keep custom, though, we don't have a dedicated retentions team for this very reason.
Yes, this legislation is generally good news for consumers - and as a Customer-focussed ISP I can't say we disagree with the new rules. However, consumers are going to have to be equally on the ball that they're not getting themselves into trouble when shifting ISP. It's certainly not a "get out of jail free" card.
Anyway, all I wanted to do really was to wish you well with your new ISP and hope that the rest of the migration process was smooth for you. If you do continue to experience issues - please do not hesitate to get in touch with me. lmartin (at) plus [dot] net
Many Thanks,
Liam Martin
PlusNet Comms Team
graingerjjb
Grafter

I have to say I read some of this and tend to agree with Liam's comments that customers should pay their deferred fees etc before migrating.

Most customers would probably agree, however, the issue is transparancy - I think its very easy for customers to see the new ISP offering but the small print is often overlooked or not easy to find or his hidden in a long list of terms and conditions...