Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet geographic telephone number

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I know that Plusnet has set up a geographic telephone number for Customer Support, for which they are to be applauded.

However, can anyone tell me - perhaps a representative from Plusnet - whether there is a geographic telephone number for dial-up internet access ?

My reason for asking is that, as a direct consequence of the webmail attack, Plusnet now no longer allow access to the Plusnet Portal using an ISP based abroad. That is a major problem for me, as I spend a third of my life in France, and therefore, while I am away, I am getting no value from my Plusnet BBYW subscription, nor from my Plusnet telephone subscription at all, because they are not being used.

So, therefore, it is rubbing salt into the wound when I cannot access the Plusnet Portal either from my French Tiscali.fr ISP connection because of the new bar imposed (understandably) by Plusnet. It does seem like an unfair penalty because from some French landline service providers, UK 08 numbers are barred altogether, and from all the others it costs 27 pence PER MINUTE to dial an 0845 number !!

Whereas, with my French subscription, calls to ordinary UK geographic numbers are FREE. So maybe Plusnet could give consideration under the circumstances to providing a geographic number for dial-up access for people like me who pay a full UK subscription to Plusnet from which we cannot get full value, and whom it is unfair to penalise further by making us pay 27 pence per minute to access the Plusnet Portal.

This bar on foreign ISP access to the portal was due to Plusnet security problem, so hopefully some equitable solution to my problem can be found.
2 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

The portal access restriction is just a temporary precautionary measure, I don't know the restriction will be lifted but I will ask.

There isn't a geographic dial-up number, just 0845 and 0870 (and 080Cool, not sure how feasible it would be to add but again will ask.

As another way around, do you leave the PC on at home? You could always use Remote Desktop or VNC if so to access the portal.
shermans
Rising Star

Dave

Thanks for the reply. I don't like to leave the pc on when I am away, but I might try it. Would that mean dialing into my UK home telephone number first though ? Or would I do that through my French ISP connection ?

However, irrespective of the webmail precautionary measure, it would be extremely helpful to have a geographic number for dial-up access, if only for emergencies and only for use from abroad. Comminications in France are not nearly as stable as in the UK, and I have have to resort to dialing into the Plusnet network directly.

And forget getting any sort of customer service in France ! All you get is the Gallic shrug if you ever try to get assistance or report a fault. I know that in the UK we make a lot of noise about customer service in every walk of life, but in France the word "service" is just not in the dictionary !! So we do not know really just how lucky we are in the UK.

So, please do make some enquiries about getting an international dial-in gepgraphic number; it would be wonderful. I don't mind paying international call rates, but when they charge 27p per minute for dialing a UK 0845 number, plus a further 10 pence connection charge, it gets rather expensive.