cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet gateway xx2 moribund.

N/A

Hi

This afternoon, despite being able to download at a very satisfactory rate, web browsing was very slow from I think agn2 gateway.

I rebooted my router and got agn2 again. 10 - 20 sec DNS lookups YUK!

I rebooted again and got pte-ag1 --- RESULT... fast browsing again!

I am sorry I did not note the correct name of the first gateway I had the problem on. I am not going to keep rebooting to get put on a bad gateway, so I can note the correct name!

I am surprised no one else is moaning about this by now!

regards

Patrick
12 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I'll keep a look out to see if there are any other reports, not seen anything yet and there's nothing obvious wrong showing up our graphs, will keep an eye out though.
N/A

@Patrick

Are you referring to 'ptn-ag2'....if so it has indeed been getting very sluggish recently...hopping to another gateway improves thing immediatly for me as well.
passer
Grafter

Only to add that I also have been avoiding ptn-ag2 due to its slowness. pte-ag2 is fine.
Community Veteran

I'll keep a look out to see if there are any other reports ...

It has taken the past 20mins of gateway hopping to find one where the ping times for gaming were OK.

This is not at all acceptable.

SW
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

problem loading page

Similar problems - some sites will not load.

How do I know what gateway I am using and how do I change it?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

It has taken the past 20mins of gateway hopping to find one where the ping times for gaming were OK.

Can you post some example tracert's (and anyone else that's seeing a problem)? I can't see anything obvious on the monitoring but a trace should help.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Re: problem loading page

Similar problems - some sites will not load.

Any sites in particular?

How do I know what gateway I am using and how do I change it?

Easiest way to check is from the following page:

http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/
Community Veteran

Can you post some example tracert's ...

Not easily no. The game I play most is Battlefield2 Modern Combat on the PS2, there is an in-game tool that indiactes with a simple 1 to 4 star rating of QoS for all the game servers run by GameSpy.

If anyone know the IP address for the GameSpy servers I'll take a look. Otherwise I will need to run Ethereal to try to find out ... again the customer debugging the problems. Sad I do note last night the ratio of online users to those downloading was almost 100% and there was Gold/Silver traffic being dropped too.

Afraid PN need to buy another Central, or do something whilst traffic/users are not being moved over to Tiscali.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Also noticed a problem on Monday.
Connected to PTN-AG2. Tracert showed pings around 1500ms.
It was back down to around 14ms when I checked yesterday.
Also some websites seem slow to load, whether that's a gateway or DNS problem though I'm not sure but this problem still remains.
N/A

Can you change the Gateway? If so how is that done please?
Community Veteran

you can try and get onto a different gateway by connecting and disconnecting multiple times it's pot luck though you might be re-assigned to the same one...
N/A

you can try and get onto a different gateway by connecting and disconnecting multiple times

Just thought id say, if your on MaxDsl i wouldnt recommend connecting and disconnecting MULTIPLE times in a short space of time, as BT's equipement may see this as a problem and drop your speed.