cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet bashing

N/A

Plusnet bashing

I've only just joined Plusnet, actually I'm still waiting to be connected, but I've been reading the forums. From what I've read noone's very happy with Plusnet but I can't figure out why. From where I'm standing the changes seem to be for our benefit.

Peak times - seems fair to me. I rarely use P2P during peak times anyway as I'm usually surfing or gaming.

Download limits - 100GB a month off-peak, that's quite a lot in my book. 30GB peak, still good enough for me.

Idle-timeouts - most routers will just reconnect or your email client will produce enough traffic to keep you connected. In the days of dialup, everyone I knew had an app to keep them online. I'm sure they're still available. So who's this really going to effect.

I beleive that the vast majority of people will benefit from these measures, and I guess I'm still to find out if I'm one of those, but it all sounds good in theory. If it isn't I'll go somewhere else. I mean why not? MAC's are free, and I've read that one chap got his in 17 mins!!!! I've just come from Wanadoo, and they refused to give me mine. If your usage exceeds these standards I think that a budget ISP isn't for you... goodbye!
28 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Plusnet bashing

Been with plusnet for quite a while myself, and i've not had any problems with them yet myself. I think for a lot of people they are frustrated because goalposts have been moved a bit lately, and now the service they are offering is not what people initially signed up for. i.e. the download limits (unlimited), and now the idle timeouts (always on).

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Full quote of preceding post removed as it is not necessary.]
Community Veteran

Plusnet bashing

i agree with you brandnew, i have had no problems with the usage policy that plusnet have in place, i dont use usenet and i do use p2p but i am happy to wait, especially for a file thats difficult to find and when u do find it its often queued!

I to have also moved from wanadoo and the only problems I am having are these constant disconnections but it is apprently being sorted!
N/A

Plusnet bashing

I have no problems with the download limits etc....the only thing is the speed. I can agree with Peak time speeds, but off peak should be more than a few k.
N/A

From what I've read noone's very happy with Plusnet but I can't figure out why.

I will tell you why I am not happy with Plusnet......... they are sitfling my proper use of the internet.

I will explain they give me a rock steady connection 24 hours a day 7 days a week, and what do I use it for? frivovoulous things like interacting with other human beings in the form of fellow astronomers from across the world via video conferencing sometimes up to 6 at a time where we share ideas learn from each other look around the observatories peer through each others telescopes via webcams and generally have a good time and meet new people, and given the time differences across the world this could almost waste 24 hours a day..... oh I am also guilty of playing streaming radio in the background.All a thorough waste of time when everyone knows I should be doing nothing but downloading Linux ISO's for which I need to use p2p rather than go to the website the same with movie trailers.Oh and I forgot the Windows updates.At the of the day I end up with very little time or inclination for "surfing"

So I suppose I am looking for an ISP with a less than rock steady connection but is unlimited so I can download all those Linux ISO's, Windows updates and the hundred and one things that seem to make p2p so indespensable and vital in using the internet.

So Plusnet could you please drop the limits so instead of wasting my time I can start using the internet properly at full speed.

One question........ will Linux ISO's and Windows updates work on a Mac? But then I suppose it does not really matter so long as one is downloading something as everyone knows that is all the internet is for.

So the bottom line being although I am not using the internet for the purpose for which it was designed for (were they downloading ISO's with ARPANET I wonder?) I am basically happy with Plusnet. :-)
___oDiN__
Grafter

Plusnet bashing

brandnew you have only just joined plusnet so you will be aware of the limitations in place before you joined a lot of us have been here for a while and signed up whe it was advertised as unlimited/unrestricted.

the problem most people have it that they wernt informed about changes and have had new restriction penalties applied retorspectivly before they even knew about them.

plusnet have a policy it seems of not letting people know of major changes by email untill they are affected by it (SUP for starters)

so i feel that people have a right to be cross and mad at plusnet
N/A

Plusnet bashing

brandnew you answered your own question there. You dont use p2p or usenet, so yes of course you will be happy. Plus you are aware of the T&C's before you joined. Good job you read these forums isnt it, as the updated info on the website is still sketchy to say the least. i.e no mention of the nntp limits, poor p2p speeds on Premier, random disconnection issues etc etc.
N/A

From what I've read noone's very happy with Plusnet but I can't figure out why.

It's often been pointed out that forums such as these can give a very distorted view of customer contentment. A small number of people who feel aggrieved (for whatever reason) can sound very loud. The vast majority of PlusNet users don't visit these forums at all; and of those who do, the happier ones have no particular motivation to make their views known - why would they?
N/A

Plusnet bashing

Yeh but when the vast majority of posts are negative in here, even from a small selection of subscribers, that would suggest that their is something fundamentally wrong with the service, would it not?

As you say alot of ppl just accept what they have, regardless of how good or bad it maybe, and never bother, or don't know, that they have a place to post with feedback.
N/A

I will tell you why I am not happy with Plusnet

I am basically happy with Plusnet.

you kinda lost me with that one!
N/A

Plusnet’s new slogan “Increasing Profits By Cutting Service”

Plusnet’s new slogan should be “Increasing Profits By Cutting Service”

Obviously the Plusnet network is overstretched meaning they are unable to squeeze more new customers on without paying for a costly upgrade. Ah problem solved, let’s impose a Sustainable Usage Policy to free up some resources. Hmmm we still need to increase our already excellent profits for the shareholder, I know lets restrict Usenet access yet make it sound like a much better improved service, that should fool our existing customers and bring in more new ones at the same time.

I have been a loyal Plusnet customer for over 3 years, recommending their service to friends & family. This will no longer be the case with the implementation of the Sustainable Usage Policy and now the reduction in Usenet services.

The month I moved home and paid the £60 transfer fee Plusnet decided to implement the SUP which has now been followed with the Usenet service restrictions. If I had known that changes in terms and conditions were going to be imposed I would have signed with a new Service provider for free and received the usual software/hardware package. Instead I paid to get Plusnet’s reductions in service.

Before the “I love Plusnet, you shouldn’t be using the service so much” users start, yes I do have a high usage but then I run a 5 PC network with my family making the most of the internet 24/7 which I am sure a lot of Plusnet customers do.

I hope a lot of other users who are also feeling the pinch of Plusnet’s profit drive take the same actions as I am by posting details of the service restrictions on as many forums, chat rooms and web pages as they can
N/A

Plusnet bashing

I believe that plusnet has not managed its service correctly. I believe that routine monitoring of network traffic would have suggested to those concerned that they could not sustain providing the network services people signed up for and agreed in the Ts & Cs. To bail themselves out cheaply, they have changed those Ts & Cs and reduced the service originally offered.

If we all switch to P2P, at which point with that service suffer the same fate as NNTP?
N/A

(were they downloading ISO's with ARPANET I wonder?) I am basically happy with Plusnet. :-)
Well ISO 9660 was ratified in the early 1990s and ARPANET ceased functioning under that name in the early 1980s...
N/A

If it isn't I'll go somewhere else. I mean why not? MAC's are free, and I've read that one chap got his in 17 mins!!!!

macs arent free, if u migrated in for nothing on a 12 month contract, then u get to pay £15 for cancelling early, and £15 for the defered payment of the migration fee as ur leaving early. so all in all, if u signed up in may, and liked the serivce, then try to leave now because the service is very different than u agreed to, they try to charge u £30 total at least, just like they are trying with me... go figure.
shellsong
Grafter

I've only just joined Plusnet, actually I'm still waiting to be connected, but I've been reading the forums. From what I've read noone's very happy with Plusnet but I can't figure out why. From where I'm standing the changes seem to be for our benefit.

Peak times - seems fair to me. I rarely use P2P during peak times anyway as I'm usually surfing or gaming.

I'm not so sure you will be happy with PlusNet either if gaming is your bag. It doesn't turn me on but if you've been reading the forums you can't help but notice that many gamers suffer ping rates during games that destroy their gaming experience-- not to mention disconnects! Cool