cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet and Virus scanning

N/A

Plusnet and Virus scanning

Are plusnet thinking of scanning emails for their customers for virus.
One of my littleuns just received a virus thru email.
Like companies could plusnet scan all email for virus before delivering and maybe stopping those and forwarding a message if a virus is found.
I know that people can download virus direct and so not thru email, but I would suspect that 80%+ of virus is received in email format.

--
10 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Plusnet and Virus scanning

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure how practicle it would be to do this without having an adverse effect on customer's ability to download other messages, however I'm sure something could be implemented on the web mail facilty.

Many home virus scanners can automatically check emails for any viruses, however you should always be careful when openning any attachments.

On our internal mail systems (for staff email etc) we do now have virus scanning on the server which blocks any inbound or outbound threats so far as I am aware.

Thanks
Chris
--
| Chris Rugen ............................... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Senior Technical Consultant ................... for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd .......................... http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----------
N/A

In relation to this, is there any way you could block e-mails from certain domains server-side? I receive spam from about 10 different chinese companies all wanting to sell me materials or motor oil or something..

I've been using Webwasher to bounce back my spam but some companies still don't take me off the list, it would be great if we could recommend addresses to be put on a blacklist (once the spam was confirmed by you maybe).
N/A

Two things we can recommend.

1) Most spam email have a message at the bottom on how to be removed form the list. Try to be removed first.

2)Report the spam. http://spamcop.net/ will add the spammers address to a global black list which will help to stop the spammer from mailing out his mail.

Kind Regards

Kevin

--
| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support .................. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

> Two things we can recommend.
>
> 1) Most spam email have a message at the bottom on how to be removed form the list. Try to be removed first.

I would not recommend using the removal link, except if the spam is from a reputable company. Using the link just confirms that it is a valid address and often results in even more spam.

Regards,

--
Brian
N/A

Hi Brian,

Have you ever experienced this? a few people have mentioned this but I've never actaully noticed this myself.

Thanks
Chris
--
steed
Grafter

> Have you ever experienced this? a few people have mentioned this but I've never actaully noticed this myself.

Hi,

I have experienced this myself. When I first started to use the Internet I always used the reply option to be removed from their mailing lists, and found that the spam mail increased the more I sent back the replies.

I now just delete the spam mail without even reading it.

Your second suggestion also dosen't really help much because the spammers often only use the email address for a one-time sending out of spam email. I have rarely expereienced spam mail sent from the same address more than once.

I found the best way to reduce spam email is to use a web-based email, such as Yahoo or Hotmail, if you have to leave an email address on a message board or website. And use the ISP's and Outlook Express email for private email between friends and relatives.

This way when 'spiders' are sent out to harvest email addresses from the Internet they should only get your web-based address and not your personal ISP's address.

Darren
N/A

Chris Rugen wrote:

> > Have you ever experienced this? a few people have mentioned this but I've never actaully noticed this myself.
>

I have never responded to any spam, just deleted it. Don't get much and have never seen the same spam twice so seems to work.

Have read messages like Darren's and it makes sense. Any response just confirms the address is valid so, if they wish, they can send more.

If it is a reputable company that is sending the spam it might be worth requesting they remove you from their list, but it may have the same result as any other spam, merely confirms that the address is valid.

In public newsgroups I use a factitious "From" address and a special genuine "Reply to" address. That also seems to work, get no more than one spam mail a month to the "reply to" address. You will note that in these forums, and the PlusNet newsgroups I use my moniker with my account so I can tell anything that comes as a result of posting here.

Regards,
--
Brian
N/A

Hi,

I personnally just delete spam. I don't get much too and it does seem more trouble for me to follow the link or reply back.

Thanks
Chris
--
N/A

Chris,
its exactly the same sort of scanning that you do for your internal mail that I suspect your customers would like for their server mail.
I don't think anyone would mind if you intercepted an email which had a virus and blocked it.

How likely would plusnet be do act on this suggestion - even if the next step was to see what other customers think.

> Hi,
>
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure how practicle it would be to do this without having an adverse effect on customer's ability to download other messages, however I'm sure something could be implemented on the web mail facilty.
>
> Many home virus scanners can automatically check emails for any viruses, however you should always be careful when openning any attachments.
>
> On our internal mail systems (for staff email etc) we do now have virus scanning on the server which blocks any inbound or outbound threats so far as I am aware.
>
> Thanks
> Chris
> --
> | Chris Rugen ............................... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Senior Technical Consultant ................... for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd .......................... http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----------

--
N/A

I know that virus checking of emails was an idea put forward a while back and will be something we will look at again in the future to providing.

The truth of the matter is that viruses, just do not come from email any more. They come from instant messaging, web pages, infected files and email. You the user need to have an effective virus checker on your machine to ensure that your machine is virus free.

In the past the ISP checking your mail was really all the protection you the user needed. This is no longer the case. As you all need a virus checker in place and that all virus checkers will handle email viruses, it is not needed for us to check your mail as this is not adequate protection for you the user.

Kind regards

Kevin

--
| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support .................. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----