cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet and Tiscali?

loftrat
Grafter

Plusnet and Tiscali?

I've just signed up with PlusNet and started reading through some of these Forums.

I think I just read in another post that PlusNet and Tiscali are linked somehow.....please would someone confirm for me that this isn't the case.

If it is then I will be cancelling my order with PlusNet.

The speed and downloading problems many people are having are identical to the problems being experienced by a HUGE number of Tiscali users, and they're exactly the reason that I didn't choose Tiscali as my Internet provider.

Thanks.
35 REPLIES
Merlin
Grafter

Plusnet and Tiscali?

PN is now owned by BT but they use Tiscali's wholesale broadband connectivity on certain exchanges which have been LLUed and in which Tiscali has installed its own DSLAMs

Don't know if this will continue no PN is owned by BT
loftrat
Grafter

Plusnet and Tiscali?

Oh blimey Sad

Is there any way that I can find out if I'm likely to come within the part of the network that's using Tiscali's connectivity? I don't want to be subjected to the chaos that is Tiscali's policy on traffic shaping (ie. if it isn't web or 'mail traffic then it aint getting through!).
N/A

Plusnet and Tiscali?

yes they are, i am one which has been experiencing the same problems as the others, about 200k download speeds, basically i've been told first that the LLU provider put a cap of 400k on my line for reasons plusnet dont know, then after PN changed it back to 8Mb it is still the same, now i am told tiscali are investigating the problem.

this is exactly why i went for a month-month contract so i can get out quick when things start messing up, same happened to me with talk-talk and i left.
loftrat
Grafter

Plusnet and Tiscali?

Tiscali (although they're denying it stringently) have hammered their customers by basically blocking anything that isn't mail/web traffic.

In the space of 2 weeks they will have migrated 30,000 of their customers away from IPStream because of the problems they've been having.

I just hope to God that I haven't lumbered myself well and truely here Sad
loftrat
Grafter

Plusnet and Tiscali?

Forgot to say, I'm currently using my parent-in-laws' Internet connection which is Tiscali. I can't access anything other than straightforward email and web, I can't even access the News server.....
johnmglen
Grafter

Plusnet and Tiscali?

Tiscali are utter crud. I couldn't get away from them quick enough. When PN became involved with these jokers I thought it would end in tears. And now, the once whizzy Plus Net world is slowing down and down and down................

Wonder if it's got anything to do with those Tiscali link:censored ?

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Removed term deemed unsuitable for the audience of these forums. Please remember they are open to all ages.
loftrat
Grafter

Plusnet and Tiscali?

Wonder if it's got anything to do with those Tiscali link:censored?

I'm prepared to bet that it has - oh dear, what have I gotten into?

Is there any way at all that I can tell if I'm going to be affected before it's too late to cancel the order, or am I stuck having to just wait and hope for the best?
N/A

Plusnet and Tiscali?

they'll charge u for cancelling i guess, if i was you i would cancel, demon are good i heard
loftrat
Grafter

Plusnet and Tiscali?

Fortunately I'm protected by the Distance Selling Regulations which give me 7 days to cancel:

The regulations give consumers an unconditional right to cancel an order. This is to allow the consumer the opportunity to examine the goods or consider the nature of a service.

If a consumer cancels an order, written notice must be given to you by:

* goods – seven working days from the day after that on which the goods are received by the consumer;
* services – seven working days from the day after that on which the consumer agrees to go ahead with the contract.

Community Veteran

Plusnet and Tiscali?

During the signup process you had the chance "opt out" of using an "alternative wholesale provider" unless you did then there is a chance that you will be provision on Tiscali wholesale network.

Did you migrate from another suppler or was your line a new activation, as far as I am aware PlusNet are not moving any users at present, so if you migrated from a BT wholesale connection, you should be fine.

Chilly
loftrat
Grafter

Plusnet and Tiscali?

Hi Chilly,

I certainly don't recall ticking any such box to opt out.

The line is a BT one, and I'm not migrating from a different ISP - there was a BB connection on the line prior to me moving into the house but I don't know who the ISP was.

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Removed full quote of preceding post - it is not needed : Please read the link:rules for info on when quotes should be used.
N/A

Plusnet and Tiscali?

Well they stuck me on Tiscali but PN didn't seem to know this - keep drivelling on about BT speedtests, ignore me telling them that don't work ('cos I'm on Tiscali) and when I request a MAC key to move away they finally work it out and send me an email telling me it will take a week to get the MAC key.
In fairness, after ignoring me and generally acting like a poor imitation of an automatic system (would they pass a Turing test?) they seem to have done something because after a week I'm getting 3/4 speed.
Hey ho - off to Zen I go
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Plusnet and Tiscali?

There's been a recent post from Plusnet saying that they haven't been moving anybody across to Tiscali since about September.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
loftrat
Grafter

Plusnet and Tiscali?

So I might be safe then?