cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet adding old contacts to webmail

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

One of the reasons for the enormous scale of the spam problems we are facing is that within webmail there were contacts going back years.

Tonight they have put out a service status announcement that tomorrow they are importing all old address book entries from the compromised @Mail in to the new SquirrelMail system. I bet a high proportion of mailboxes that have used the Address book contain many old addresses that are no longer required. Importing unconditionally all old contact details seems somewhat strange when this is a good opportunity for a clean start.

I do however recognise that there will be some people who make extensive use of the address book and for whom recreating all the lost entries would be an absolute pain. But I wonder if PN have thought of the issue of duplicate entries for those people who have started re-adding their contacts since the new system came on-line - I bet not!

To me the most sensible course would be to provide a page to request retrieval of our old contact details, but that it should not be automatic for all users.

What do you think? Note the second option (with opt out) would imply a delay of a week or so to give all users the opportunity to express their preference.

PS. I've raised a ticket:
Re: http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1179855092.htm

I wish to explicitly state that I do not want any address book entries that previously existed in webmail added to any of my mailboxes in SquirrelMail
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I hope they do import them all. The first thing I will do is go on and delete every one.

I'm sticking to good old fashioned pen and paper in future to record all my email contacts.
Community Veteran

Ah, but how do you know if that will erase all reference to those entries, or whether it will leave the entries there but mark them as deleted waiting to reaped by some future whoopsy? I'd say there is a distinct possibility that the latter is true.
The_10th
Grafter

I agree with elvin. There is noooo way on this earth I shall be using PN webmail ever again and want the details that I ever used webmail removed completely. If I want webmail I shall use gmail or hotmail.
Community Veteran

Ah, but how do you know if that will erase all reference to those entries, or whether it will leave the entries there but mark them as deleted waiting to reaped by some future whoopsy? I'd say there is a distinct possibility that the latter is true.

That's always a possibility I suppose but better that than take a chance on leaving my Address book sitting there waiting for another email harvest time.
Community Veteran

That's why I don't want them to import them in the first place!
Community Veteran

I have just noticed on the latest Service Status report that the migration of the Webmail address book has been postponed.

Let's hope that the incident report into the harvesting of email address doesn't suffer another postponement too.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Yes, this has been postponed.

It seems clear from this thread that some of you have concern about this.

I would like to point out that a lot of customers have been contacting the CSC about their missing address books so I think we need to do something here.

What would you guys suggest? An opt-out of some sort? How do you think we'd be best to manage this?

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

lingbob
Grafter

Opt-in rather than Opt-out ?
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Opt in seems the sensible solution.
Community Veteran

The only reason I, personally, need access to my old address book is to delete all the contacts.

If it is not reinstated then those addressses are still on a server somewhere at PlusNet towers and I want them deleted.
lingbob
Grafter

Perhaps you could raise a ticket and ask for them to be deleted.
Community Veteran

I would like to point out that a lot of customers have been contacting the CSC about their missing address books so I think we need to do something here.

What would you guys suggest? An opt-out of some sort? How do you think we'd be best to manage this?

If you do an opt out you are going to have to delay at least a week to allow people to make their preference known.

Ideal solution would be an option in Help & Support to request that the old address book is imported - if it didn't do it immediately it could be a daily run to process all the requests made that day. This could be left in place for a month or two.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Ok, it seems like opt-in is in favour here so that's what we'll go with.

Do you think an email is necessary? I personally think a Service Status and Help Assistant path should be sufficient.

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Seems like a good suggestion Elvin and thanks to PlusNet for listening.

I don't use PlusNet webmail, or their mail server - but that's because I moved my domains some time ago elsewhere. That was mainly because I got recommended a good hosting company from a friend, rather than PlusNet's recent and not-so recent problems in regard to mail Smiley

I can understand why people would prefer it this way though.

As a developer, I think it would be good to clarify whether the compromised details came direct from the old @mail underlying database, and if so whether deleted details from Squirrel (i.e. e-mail contacts) are actually removed from the database - not just having an 'IsDeleted' flag set to 1 and never shown, thus still present and making them susceptible to any further attacks.