cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Why did i join

N/A

Plusnet Why did i join

Hi all

well i signed my son up on the 12aug 2005 and then migrated from another isp for my own line on 19aug,

i just wish now that i had spent a bit more time on some forums then i would have realised that i was makeing a big mistake , signing up to plusnet.

i just hope that any potential new customer dont make the same mistake as i have made,
and the old saying of you get what you pay for is very true in plusnet case..

And you know what else they say if you pay peanuts for a service then its most probarley run by monkey..

But hopefully i can be from here at the end of the mth..even if i have to pay to leave..money dosent come into from my point of view but the treatment to the customers of plusnet with new T & C etc..

I was told by plusnet that it was a uncapped service but 150gig pm was accecepable.. :?

As i was only averaging 50 - 60 gig pm with my old isp and thats with 3 pcs in the house my own and my 2 sons pcs, i thought well the 150gig pm would suite me,
And because it was cheaper than my old isp i got my oldest son his own line in, as he spent a lot of time ringing his m8 etc mobiles and and got him a plusnet account, so he could play his online game with less ping etc than when he was sharing with me and my other son..and all it was costing me was £4 more pm too have 2 x 2meg line instaed of the 1 x 2meg i had with my other provider, the new line was going to put in anyway as the older son is paying for it.,

And to be honest the service is pretty good in respect to connection and speed etc but from what ive seen on this forum and other forums Adg etc plusnet customers are treated like mushroom,,

They keep you in the dark and feed you cow manure.

just my rant ...
32 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Plusnet Why did i join

So in summary, you're happy with the service, think it's great value for money, but are going to leave because a few crusaders with a grievance make a nuisance of themselves on the forums?

Bye. :roll:
N/A

Plusnet Why did i join

Oh come on not a few crusaders.

If you are happy with your service GREAT. There are a lot of people who are not. Not to mention those who do not use forums. The arguments are everywhere, I think people have a right to be angry.

In a few months there will be more changes and more , so called happy customers, wil become 'crusaders' in your words

I have asked for my MAC key, I got a phone call to say I did not have to pay any deferal and have received my MAC key. Now I read if I use it they will charge me a deferal. I wish they would not make these decisions on the phone, the official ticket system protects me and +N on agreements made.

Dean
N/A

Plusnet Why did i join

i take offence to the crusader part

i simply dont like to see ppl being put out of pocket

i have little concern about service always been good (downloading can be bad at times)

but i disagree with the traffic shapping but not the fact of it being done (as potentially it can help keep good service)

however i disagree with the fact no limit of the traffic shapping is set....you can turn around and say they said it will only be 10 to 15 percent but if the last few months have shown us anything then they could change there mind and end up saying 20 to 25 percent the new t&C should have it in writing the maximum limit of shaping exactly what would be shapped and what times are peak as these statements currently are open ended and allow plusnet to change them as they wish......
N/A

Replying Ivan

Hello Dean,

That sounds like emotional blackmail to me, Oh! heres your MAC key (and of course no ISP wants too loose any customers) Oh! and bye the way if you use it we will hit you hard in the pocket as a result. IMO I think thats a pretty low trick to pull on any customer and I would be pretty furious if that one was pulled on me too (I'm speechless that PlusNet would really do that too any user leaving or not).

**If there is a fee for leaving irrespective of the account or service type then it should be clearly stated in the companies T&C's no emotional blackmail should be used if the customer has chosen to migrate/move to a different ISP.

**Look almost ALL large companies such as power companies & Utility companies (power providors, gas electricity, phone,etc,etc) have whats technically termed "churn" which means customers leaving & new ones signing up. Its a highly competitive market for services of any kind now & all of these service companies are constantly trying to attract or pinch in some cases other rivals customers thats the nature of the market and so ISP's & internet services are No! different. But its another thing to shoot yourself in the foot by changing services to make them even less attractive.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
The True power of knowledge is when its shared.
N/A

Plusnet Why did i join

In a few months there will be more changes and more , so called happy customers, wil become 'crusaders' in your words

...and for me that's the point. Several months ago the high usage users were complaining and TBH I shrugged my shoulders wondering what all the fuss was about.

Now I find that they are using traffic shaping for P2P and perhaps idle time-outs. Neither affect me, so again I could shrug my shoulders and carry on with Plusnet.

But then I thought, hang on, if they are doing these things what's next? Will I be affected by the next big thing? Do I really want to give my cash to an ISP that is treating its customers like this and getting away with it? Would I be banned for complaining like the others were?

Loyal for four years and off to Zen on the 5th.
N/A

Plusnet Why did i join

I am wondering why i joined plus net.

Apart from changing the terms and conditions (i can just about live with that) they constantly refuse to give accurate information on how they limit the service they are providing.

I'm on the plus package, and the download speeds i get using P2P is around the 10k mark. This is so low, that even when websites request me to use BitTorrent to save their bandwidth - i dont bother since it takes around 20(!!) times longer.

I'v been thinking that before i request my MAC code and leave i should try the premier package - but how much traffic shaping is applied there? How much improvement would i see?

This lack of information is very frustrating and never happened when i was with Nildram, and is probably illegal! To not clarfiy the service you are going to provide means you can provide your customers with any level of service you please, and they can hardly complain... since the terms and conditions were never exactly specified or agreed!

I know there are variables such as contention issues, natural variances in speed due to other congestion, but if they would just tell us exactly what they would do, they would find less people moving, more people upgrading to premier( probably) and forums slightly less full of people quite miserable Sad

Oh, and i'm not a crusader, but i won't stop posting until i know how they shape on plus accounts and how they shape on premier accounts ( i dont object to it at all, it's very sensible - i just want to know how it is done!)

Rich
N/A

Plusnet Why did i join

It is very simple.

If you intend to use P2P, leave Plusnet and go to a proper broadband provider.

Hope that clears things up Smiley
N/A

Plusnet Why did i join

I feel as though i at least ought to give them a chance - they were very good with my dial-up account (apart from increasing the cost!).

I have no hesitation in recommending all my friends currently upgrading to Nildram though - i used them whilst I was at university, and i was absolutely stunned by the level of service - damn quick too!
Alecto
Grafter

Plusnet Why did i join

eddiewood is not entirely accurate in his assessment.
P2P is fine on Premier and I regularly get speeds of 220kB plus using Azureus on a good source.

You will, however, never get a decent P2P speed on the Plus package, so if you want P2P, change to Premier.
N/A

Plusnet Why did i join

What? Is Premier traffic shaped or not? Yes or No?
N/A

Plusnet Why did i join

Yes it is.... for definite..

but it is a big SECRET as to how much, but probably not all that much...

confident in the service you are being provided?! - you shouldn't be!
N/A

Plusnet Why did i join

I don’t think there is much traffic shaping, I can get up to 230+K with a good source.
N/A

Plusnet Why did i join

But you are agreeing to new T&C's without knowing how much shaping is being done on a day-to-day basis. You don't even know WHAT is being traffic shaped, never mind how much!

Unless you benefit from traffic shaping I really don't see the point of being with an ISP that uses it when there are many others that don't.

I stand by my statement. Plusnet are not the place to be if you want to P2P.
N/A

Plusnet Why did i join

Any Premier users have any experience with Limewire?

I too was thinking of upgrading to Premier to get past the P2P restrictions, but I've read several posts from Premier users who are still getting terrible P2P speeds. I don't want to risk 'upgrading' to the more costly package only to find it's no better and then, knowing plusnets customer service, being stuck with it anyway. If we had more information perhaps I'd have actually done it, as it is, I don't feel confident enough in the service to go for it.