cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Should give a Free Copy of Tiny Personal Firewall ou

N/A

Plusnet Should give a Free Copy of Tiny Personal Firewall ou

If they did then people would not be hacked so much they could also not be hacked for once
and still be a happy user.
11 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Plusnet Should give a Free Copy of Tiny Personal Firewal

> If they did then people would not be hacked so much they could also not be hacked for once
> and still be a happy user.

HI There,

If only the solution to the problem was that simple :-)

Security needs to be the responsibility of everyone. Our research suggests that we actually have much less compromised users at any point than most other ISPs but I can certainly put this forward as a suggestion for an addition to the information that new customers receive.

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

Why should they?
it's up to the user to protect their pc not the Internet provider.
Same goes for viruses,it's up to the user to protect their pc from those.
You pay for a service,to be able to connect.

N/A

>
> Why should they?

May I suggest - for the same reason that e.g. the Halifax give a copy of PCCillin to their online users, or any other business gives 'added value' over and above their core service - to be just that bit better than the opposition. That said I agree that it's the users responsibility to protect their own machine.

I see a PlusNet customers' experience of being hacked appears in the latest issue of PCPro.
GA

Saturn
Grafter

Try the free version of ZoneAlarm from www.zonelabs.com
N/A

Well I have tested Zone alarm and Zone Alarm Pro Both Proper Versions and tried bypassing them it's like put water through a pipe very easy to do no I haven't made the best tool out there it's just one that I picked up.........
Saturn
Grafter

> Well I have tested Zone alarm and Zone Alarm Pro Both Proper Versions and tried bypassing them it's like put water through a pipe very easy to do no I haven't made the best tool out there it's just one that I picked up.........

There's no pleasing you!
plusnetsux
Grafter

last time i checked tiny personal firewall was free. they renamed it to kerio...

http://www.kerio.com/us/kpf_download.html

elton
Grafter

> Well I have tested Zone alarm and Zone Alarm Pro Both Proper Versions and tried bypassing them it's like put water through a pipe very easy to do no I haven't made the best tool out there it's just one that I picked up.........

I had an old laptop running Win98 and MS PWS behind ZoneAlarm. It was running as a web server for 6 months, 24/7, and it was never compromised. The web server logs showed countless attempts to run scripts in the non-existent system32 directory, which of course had no effect.
I think you must have been testing a different version of ZoneAlarm to the one I use. Otherwise you had your system very badly configured.

--
Skonko!
N/A

Hi,

In my personal experience, free firewalls do just as good a job as the ones you have to pay for. Home users should not have to look any further than this type of free software to protect their machines. I use a free firewall at home!

Regards,

Dave

--
| David Scarpa...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

> Hi,
>
> In my personal experience, free firewalls do just as good a job as the ones you have to pay for. Home users should not have to look any further than this type of free software to protect their machines. I use a free firewall at home!
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave
I agree fully with this since I also use Kerio on my home PC. I started with a similar firewall to Zone Alarm, but moved onto something more advanced when I wanted to be more specific with what could access the internet. (I.E. my email program could access but only ports 25 and 110) But most people wouldn't be able to cope with a 'rule based' firewall IMHO. I have a friend who is fantastic with HTML and webpage building but "isn't interested in that sort (firewalls) of stuff".

Maybe an option would be to have info on the portal given out at time of sign-up then 2 options in the file vault of firewalls, one simple and one advanced?

I can just imagine the problems created for the poor people in tech support though!

Regards,
Steve
N/A

Another option is to get an old piece of junk pc, at least a P133 with 32MB RAM although something with USB ports would probably be better so those of you with USB modems can still use them.. maybe!

Next install SmoothWall on it, (free 30MB Download - including hardened version of Linux and the Firewall Software) thereby turning it into a full blown firewall.

One of my friends runs a college network through SmoothWall and he swears by it. If you're using a router with NAT then you do another NAT through the firewall it's got to be an improvement over any of the single machine solutions.

Next if you only allow internally originated traffic to pass through these systems you've mostly only got trojans to worry about then Shocked)

Oh - SmoothWall supports DMZs too.

Worth looking at?

Tim