Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Should Care About Opera Users

LiamM
Grafter

<tongue cheek with a serious hint>

The portal is currently broken in Opera. It's squished down into a thin column. Was working fine until yesterday afternoon.

Apparently it's a Search Engine Optimisation project that broke it, and it can't be rolled back.

Ian W says that Opera users don't warrant a rollback as we're in the minority, and apparently there have been only 3 complaints.

JonW told me to make this post :p in the ideas forum to suggest that PN start caring about Opera users. So I am!
25 REPLIES
N/A

[tongue in cheek}
Ian Wild as usual is talking sense.

Who uses Opera? Literary geniuses and rock fans and maybe one or two others.

No I vote to remove the peice of rubbish which is affectionately known by the simple as Opera.

IE and to a much lesser extent FF is all that counts and dev time and resources should not be spent on pretenders.

Ultimately Opera is for those who are too firghtened to learn how to protect their systems from the couple of issues alleged to affect IE.

So yes PN sack all support for Opera. Complete waste of time.

[/tongue in cheek]
JonathanW
Grafter

<tongue in cheek bit>
Well, I don't think three complaints is enough to raise it as a serious problem. We'll put it in the work stack just after the 'recarpet IH' task. The development team only really cares about Firefox, so switch to that and you'll be fine. Smiley

<serious bit>
Though in seriousness, there is a problem open with development at the moment, and they're working on fixing this.
N/A

I think users of all browsers should be taken into consideration, but more importantly, that standards are adhered to. In other words, does this change cause problems due to an implementation issue within Opera (which should be fixed by them) or an implementation issue by PlusNet (which should be fixed by them)?
I can't see any problems with the portal on the OS X version of Opera 8.5.2, although the forums are slightly squished. Mozilla and Safari render everything fine.
N/A

tee hee,

I wont start as ill get my back side booted lol.

But seriously though, would it not be wise and indeed possible for a beta testing portal to be setup and a duff furom so that any new changes can be tested there first for x time before being rolled out.
Simply take x amount of IE user, x FF user, x Opera users etc and off you go.

That way you should have a near perfect and problem free design come roll out live.

How about this as a thought ?
N/A

All upgrades should have a coverage and compatibility test performed on each of the the major web-browsers (and shorter tests on the lesser ones) on a non-live server. It wouldn't be difficult to setup a quick checklist to ensure that most major sections of the website are checked. This would take one person a short time to check and not solve all problems, but certainly find the glaring (and global) issues we've experienced recently.
Having a full on Beta forum sounds a bit OTT to me, but I guess it could be of use.
It does sound as if the testing of things is somewhat based on a 'it works here while we've been fiddling with it' from some rather than organised systematic testing. Sad
JonathanW
Grafter

Everything does undergo full testing before it is rolled out to the live platform. However, some of the recent issues with the forums haven't been caught in testing due to the nature of the problems.

That being said, this is something that does need looking into fully so that we can ensure there are no future problems.
N/A

Perhaps it may sound or appear a little OTT.
But its use would be farther stretched than just this one simple change. If certain things are altered or will be at least, then there is an enviroment for selected beta testing users to experience it and give feedback to Plusnet before it is rolled out. This in turn avoids the rolling out of the, as you said, 'it works here while we've been fiddling with it' and a certain amount of disgruntled users filing a complaint at a problem that could have been easily avoided by a little testing.

I know that this is a fast moving industry but this shouldnt mean that steps are taken to avoid or queue jump certain things which then ultimately lead to problems which could have been avoided so easily.

There will be further changes for the portal planned of which I am sure.
Community Veteran

May I just point you to http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39019

Opera users make up about 8% of the forum community and should not be ignored.

In theory everything should be done to be w3c compliant; but of course this will cause issues amongst certain browsers (cough IE) no doubt.
N/A

I agree Tom, I just wonder how much extra useful testing would be achieved from having a separate beta-portal. There may be a wider number of configurations and some use which would not be expected, but all key areas and key platform configurations should be covered in focussed testing. I can just see a Beta portal being rather empty and unused and detracting for the need to improve the internal focussed testing. But that isn't to say it isn't a good idea Smiley Just throwing in my opinion.
Jon, I'm sure everything does undergo testing, but as easily as it can be said that the issues haven't been caught due to the nature of the problems, it can also be said they weren't caught due to the nature of the testing. Wink
If it were a single obscure issue that would be one thing, but logouts, incompatibility with a commonly used browser and missing/incomplete portions of the portal is another thing. Glad to hear it's going to be looked into to try to prevent problems in the future.

IE isn't even compliant with itself! *shudders*
avalon
Grafter

Re: Plusnet Should Care About Opera Users

Ian W says that Opera users don't warrant a rollback as we're in the minority, and apparently there have been only 3 complaints.

Hmm I didn't realise the seriousness of problems was based on the number of tickets raised. I thought it was based on the impact of the problem.

If only one user reported the entire PN network had failed would it get fixed some time next century?

I'm going to make it four and raise a ticket before going to bed.
Community Veteran

Opera users make up about 8% of the forum community and should not be ignored.

Quite right m8! Wink

[tongue in cheek]
Seeing as Opera users are far superior to other browser users on a ratio of
1 Opera user = 1048 IE users, and 1 Opera user = 264 Firefox users.
Therefore the 4 complaints so far should after adjustment - equal to 3136 complaints!! Tongue :lol:
[/tongue in cheek]

Seriously though, I would be very dissapointed if it wasn't fixed soon! Wink

*EDIT*
I just sent a ticket as well! Smiley

And a note to the peeps who voted "no" .......................you suXorZ!!! :twisted: lol
N/A

I'm quite surprised at the number of people voting no. I'm not quite sure of their reasons... maybe they'd prefer only their problems to be dealt with *shrugs*.
The Opera issue needs to be addressed though, else we'll never be able to browse the portal/forums on our Nintendo DS's!!! :-O
craigbrass
Grafter

I agree with this being placed low priority. Opera is the WORST browser I have ever come accross. I even rate it lower than Internet Explorer and thats saying somthing! Plus the fact less than 2% of the internet use it.
shellsong
Grafter

I've not used Opera since the start of version 7 but I've heard it's quite good nowadays and not really worthy of slagging off-- I don't think it's ever been worse than IE!