cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet, Please read.

N/A

Plusnet, Please read.

Can someone please update me on what's going on before I cut my losses and move my account?

This is how I see it:
Without prior warning (apart from a general email in April) you have booted me off BTs networks and onto the wholesale network of the worst ISP in history, Tiscali. Instead of the advertised 2 hour cease and re-provide Tiscalis provisioning system has seen fit to cut me off completely. It's now 3 days since I lost my connection and due to the failures of your own systems (namely telephone support and ticket system) you haven't even began to sort out my issue, let alone contact me about it.

I have been a loyal customer for over 4 years, through 3 changes of address and have been very happy with the support and above all the unfailing connection I've received. I feel let down by a company I've come to trust with my own and my clients internet requirements. I'd hate to be forced to move ISP but as I use my internet connection for occassional home working I may have to.

Please Plusnet, a little information would go a long way.

Matt
6 REPLIES
N/A

Plusnet, Please read.

Where exactly is the problem? Are you able to synchronise with the exchange? If so.. is your username and password being accepted?

Most of the problems I've seen post-LLU migration is incorrect settings used in customer equipment. If your are synchronising with the exchange, then I suggest you check your multiplexing settings on your modem/router, which should be set to VC based, and your encapsulation which should be PPP over ATM (often referred to as PPPoA or PPPoATM)
shellsong
Grafter

Plusnet, Please read.

@gotdsl

I think the number of posts i have seen about customers moved to LLU and experiencing long term complete ADSL cutoff is well into double figures now!
N/A

Plusnet, Please read.

Are you saying that LLU settings are different to BT settings? As nothing has changed on my equipment for the last 4 years.

The router synchs with the exchange but won't connect and provide an IP. For the last 3 days it hasn't even synched!
N/A

Plusnet, Please read.

well if it hasnt even syncd, then there is a more fundamental problem that BT may have to look into.

The trouble with LLU is that it is setup to adhere precisely to DSL standards in the UK. Whereas currently, BTW ADSL will quite happily work with both LLC and VC multiplexing (which is shouldn't), customers on an LLU service need to make sure they are using VC multiplexing. I believe that a lot of router/modems have a setup wizard, and because LLC worked on BT wholesale, it defaulted to this setting. And now obviously, it will no longer work. So check this setting.
shellsong
Grafter

Plusnet, Please read.

If gotdsl is right you may have to look in your router Advanced Settings if you have that-- for my router it's under WAN Configuration --> Encapsulation where, in my instance, it defaults to PPPoA VC-MUX (so presumably I'd be OK if I was on LLU!)

Wouldn't it be nice if, prior to customers being put on MaxDSL or LLU, Plusnet sent them an advance email telling them about details like this along with clear infomation on what to do under different circumstances that can arise in the course of the "upgrade"-- it could even stop Customer Support from getting swamped with frantic calls, tickets and posts!
prichardson
Grafter

Plusnet, Please read.

Hi all,

PPPoA, VC MUX has been the settings specified for ADSL from the very start, with the majority of equipment suppliers pre-using these settings within their equipment, making it easy for the broadband consumer.

Until a couple of years ago, the BT network did not extensivly support PPPoE, and to this day, it is only AOL that makes propper use of this.

Until very recently, I was never aware that BTs network would allow you to use LLC for the multiplexing type. Through personal testing many moons ago, this certainly didn't work in the Merseyside area.

Don't want to take my work for it?
Well, your in luck. Take a look at many of the obsolete products that used to play their part in the broadband market and visit the makers sites. Take a look in the manuals, which often show the default settings needed for the UK.

Whilst I appreciate this not help those that are cought out by this, effectivly, if the correct settings are in place at the start, your not going to experiance any problems.

Kind Regards,