cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet - People rely on email :(

thehatman
Grafter

1) When will my email work today please?

2) When will you answer my ticket of two days ago?

No wonder I get angry and swear, I'm just fed up and tired now.

As someone else said the taking of my money each month seems to be your most reliable service.

Sad Sad Sad

[Moderators note by Tom (tomspcs) : I have altered the thread title to suit the forum rules. Please do not use caps for the entirity of the title or post as it is often seen as rude, shouting and is against the link:rules thanks.]
8 REPLIES
N/A

This is one of the reasons why I never have relied on ISP based e-mails.

Not to mention in the early days when I frequently changed ISP - having to keep moving e-mail services was a pain in the backside.

I literally only use an ISP to connect to the internet now...
newinvention
Grafter

Gorebrush ... who do you use to send/receive?
N/A

normally a paid for service is better than a free service, but I have changed my mind, google and hotmail are far more reliable
N/A

Gorebrush ... who do you use to send/receive?

hotmail - used that since 1998
postmaster - since 1999

both are fabulous e-mail services. Rarely get problems. I can access my e-mail anywhere. I never have to tell people about new addresses when i change ISP's.

blah blah

oh yeah, they are both free too.
N/A

hotmail since 1995, only had a days outage in all that time
N/A

Not used /heard of postmaster (though it's an obvious name to consider!) - thanks for that one!

I've been using www.fastmail.net (also, and originally Fastmail.fm ) which has free and paid-for accounts. On the free accounts one has to use webmail and they add an advertising 'tagline' on the end of outgoing mail. They provide IMAP access as well on the free accounts and don't allow SMTP/POP - it's intended more as a free trial (but not limited to 30 days).

However, for a small once-only fee (about a tenner) one can have "member" status which allows IMAP/POP/SMTP use, as well as webmail, of course, and with no advert appended on outgoing mail. For a small fee one can upgrade to get more storage (it has a limited mailbox by default). One of the benefits of Fastmail is that they allow access on many ports (so if you happen to be in some hotel which only allows port 80 (for web browsing) and blocks port 25 (SMTP) you can still use your e-mail client to send on port 80 to Fastmail's servers. Might not be important to all, but is handy for some!

Fastmail, MailSnare and Runbox are perhaps three of the bigger mail services which charge fees, so don't depend on advertising and do have reasonable support for users... as well as monitoring of their servers (since mail is their priority). I've used Fastmail and Runbox for about 3 years each and had very few instances of downtime - check www.emaildiscussions.com for user + staff views and Q+A about Fastmail, Runbox, Gmail and others.

There's also a thread over on the PUG forum
newinvention
Grafter

Mmmmm thanks for those ideas ... interesting.... must look into this.
N/A

Certainly! You aren't restricted to using PlusNet's e-mail service just because you pay for it...

I certainly think the free ones are better - and being independent of ISP is very useful.

I have GMail invites, if anyone would like one - you get over 2Gb of storage (last time I checked)
Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules