cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet PLC Forums - Make one forum accross the company

N/A

Hello, i am currently a F9 customer and have been for the last 4+ years.

We are currently running a poll on our the f9 forum, and i would like to know what your views are on this.

My views are this is a great idea! - Cant really see the point of having three brands when their offer all the same stuff and i really don’t care about what part of the service I am connected to, be it, f9 plus net or free online, what I do care about is the service quality being received by its customer across the company/network.
27 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I've voted yes, but I don't think it will happen. I's been rejected too often in the past as the usernames etc. would cause conflicts. Having said this I don't see why plusnet can't do what tiscali do in that you username is your e-mail obviously because of the unlimited this would be more difficult however it is merely a way of telling which is you came from therefore you would not need the full e-mail just the username and original portal i.e.

Username:_________ @ [portalname]

so I would be:

no7olivier @ plus.net

a f9 customer would be:

f9customer @ f9.net.uk

etc.

Also have you people over at force 9 heard of plusnetters? www.plusnetters.co.uk
N/A

Hi, no i have never herld of this, away to check it out.

Never thought of the username problem? - However your solution seems to get over it.

Cheers Jeremy.
N/A

Hi taurussoftware,

Welcome to the Plus Net boards.

I cant see the development of a merge of visps happening anytime soon.

There's just too much else happening.

The costs in development would outway any possible benefits. This has been rejected everytime it has been raised.

What would the F9 customers feel would be gained from such a move?
N/A

Don't forget www.plus.net.uk and portal.plus.net.uk Tongue

Is anyone still on those sites ? Seems a bit out of date ?
N/A

Plus.net.uk is mostly for business customers I think.
N/A

And, iirc, work is in hand to integrate those customers.
LiamM
Grafter

Yes I believe so.
lowry
Grafter

I don't understand why they couldn't intergrate all of the portal usernames such as username.plus.com, username.f9.co.uk and username.free-online.co.uk to work with the Plus.Net portal and let new users choose the format of their e-mail address to be one of them.

Also, if I recall, one of the excuses for not doing this before from PlusNet was because F9, PlusNet & Free-Online sign-ups get placed on different BT Wholesale ADSL Realms (the bit after the @ sign in your ADSL username), but surely they could just evenly distirbute new sign-ups across these realms and just take new sign-ups under one fully integrated Plus.Net portal.

matt Wink
LiamM
Grafter

I agree...
Metalguru
Grafter

I've done a few amalgamations in the past, and it's never as easy as it first looks. The devil really is in the detail.

The Username is only one area where it could come unstuck.

What if there is another Homeaga1n out there ?
(No need to answer that)

Could the MODS cope with a Super forum ?

Would an amalmagated set of rules and regs be required ?
If so, who is gonna create those.

Would all the MODS would have to arrange a get together, to agree on some common processes and procedures, and reach a common understanding on interpretations of the rules and regs ?

Whats the "culture" like on the other forums ?
Would they all "Gell" OK ?

I believe those sorts of things would just be the tip of an iceberg, inside a can of worms.

My tip.

Think :- People, Processes and Technology .............
then think about People again and again.

Then reconsider the People.
N/A

The visp forums are nowhere near as busy as these and as far as I am aware the same rules apply.

I think that some of our mods look after some of the visp forums aswell. I think Colin has or had some input. Though i stand to be corrected on the moderating bit.

Your other points homeaga1n are very valid. the amalgamation would be a headache.
Community Veteran

Colin helps out and IIRC Phil used to. The rest of us don't. Purely through choice. The f9 and fol forums also had until recently 2 dedicated mods between them but thats now gone to one as the other guy left.
The remaining guy Ivan, posts on these forums sometime and we regually discuss forum issues with him in an effort to have the same level of moderation etc.

Chris
Community Veteran

And, iirc, work is in hand to integrate those customers.

If that is sucessful, then surely it wouldn't be too hard to intergrate the other vISP's? as far as I can see it all it would need to overcome the username problem is a modifacation to the portal login system saying something like;

if ($visp == plus.net) { 

include ('pndbconfig');
}
elseif ($visp == f9.net.uk) {
include ('f9dbconfig');
}
elseif ($visp == $free-online.net) {
inlcude ('foldbdconfig');
}
else {
inlcude (pnukdbconfig)

Therefore the seperate databases can be kept the portal decides which to use for login dependent on the user's visp.

I'm not 100% sure but I think a similar technique could be used for the usernames on the forum to add which visp.[/code]
Community Veteran

I also support the idea of bring all the forums together. As the larger community would be a great benefit to the Force9 and Free on line users.

However there are difficulties such as the issue with duplicated usernames. Daniel has made a great suggestion of how this can be dealt with. These can be overcome if Plus.Net has the inclination.

But there is no commercial benefit to Plus.Net for doing it. So I doubt it will ever get done.

Chilly