cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Got BT to increase my target noise margin to 9db

N/A

Ticket - 19443425

I am one of those people that had a MaxDSL connection stuck on 6db noise margin. Just about ok in the day, but lots of line drops at night.

After many tickets and much persuasion, I managed to get Plusnet to ask BT to manually increase my target noise margin to 9db. According to the ticket, BT are able to do this remotely on your line now.

Since I have moved to 9db my line has been stable. They also added interleaving, which I am not too sure about, but we will see how things go. BRAS refused to do this automatically, but I am living proof that you can get Plusnet to request BT do this manually without any charge.

It's early days, but no line drops since this was actioned.

I suggest others raise a ticket to do the same if you are stuck on 6db and line drops - PN and BT can do this for you if you badger them hard enough
32 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Interesting report.
I have gone about it in reverse. I changed my router to a Speedtouch 546 and using the DMT monitor I am able to alter the SNR myself.
Am now running at a nominal 9db during the day which seems to be stable. If it isn't I'll just increase it a bit.
N/A

Can anyone tell me if my stats are good/bad? I have no idea how to interpret them.

I'm still on 2Mb atm. What Max speed should I expect?

Alecto
Grafter

I can't remember where it is, but there's a predictor somewhere for that. You put in your snr and attenuation and it tells you what speed you're likely to get.

But for what it's worth, I had worse figures than yours on 2Mb (attenuation 47 and Noise Margin (SNR) 17, and I'm set on a Stable speed of 5.5Mb, so you ought to get at least that. I think the predictor said I might get 3.5.
N/A

A shame Plus didn't suggest this to me last month rather than fobbing me off with boilerplate 'check your equipment / wiring' messages. They've lost me to NTL as a consequence. Too bad.
shellsong
Grafter

@shah57

If you're lucky you'll get the maximum available with about 6dB to spare Wink
N/A

So I've got good stats?

That's reassuring, considering that I'm about 800m from my exchange, and the wiring throughout the house is brand new.
tumnus
Grafter

Re: Plusnet Got BT to increase my target noise margin to 9db

Since I have moved to 9db my line has been stable. They also added interleaving, which I am not too sure about, but we will see how things go.

Well there's some progress. Might raise a ticket myself now. Just one thing, what's your ping to say www.bbc.net.uk like? Do you know what your before-interleaving ping was?
N/A

ping to the bbc site is now 24ms with interleaving on. I didn't ping it before so I can't tell you what it was previously
N/A

Can anyone tell me how my stats look. The various websites suggested that I should get over 5MB, and when I was first switched over to MAX I was gettin 5.6 and it seemed ok. Now I sync at 3.5ish, but only seem to actually get 2MB

Thanks.

BusyBox v1.00 (2005.12.07-10:11+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

# adslctl info --stats
adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Status: Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 448 Kbps, Downstream rate = 2112 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode: G.DMT
Channel: Interleave
Trellis: ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 19.1 22.0
Attn(dB): 45.0 25.0
Pwr(dBm): 18.0 12.1
Max(Kbps): 2432 1156
Rate (Kbps): 2112 448
G.dmt framing
K: 67(0) 15
R: 16 16
S: 2 8
D: 16 4
ADSL2 framing
MSGc: 1 1
B: 112 15
M: 2 8
T: 1 1
R: 16 16
S: 2.1415 9.0000
L: 904 128
D: 16 4
Counters
SF: 253065 253063
SFErr: 8 0
RS: 8604236 2151035
RSCorr: 844 0
RSUnCorr: 45 0

HEC: 6 0
OCD: 0 0
LCD: 0 0
Total Cells: 21431699 0
Data Cells: 886892 0
Drop Cells: 0
Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 2220 0
SES: 28 0
UAS: 94 0
tumnus
Grafter

ping to the bbc site is now 24ms with interleaving on. I didn't ping it before so I can't tell you what it was previously

Thanks. My ping to www.bbc.net.uk is currently 20ms so I guess interleaving doesn't do much to your latency after all then and far more than 4ms could easily be lost by any number of other factors.

Tickets ahoy...
tumnus
Grafter

Well, got the bog standard fault response of 15 questions, totally ignoring what I had said in my ticket (I was brief). The response time was fairly quick though at 6 hours and on a Sunday morning too.

As far as I know they haven't done anything but strangely enough my modem is now connected at 4mb with a noise margin of 9db and holding. Coincidence? Last night was a particularly bad night for disconnections as there seems to be more interference on Saturdays (everyone watching tele later?) and the last disconnection was before I posted the first ticket. Maybe my BRAS profile has finally been updated? The connection type is still Fast Path as opposed to Interleaved, however.
tumnus
Grafter

Argh, spoke too soon. Sudden drop in SNR, modem disconnects and reconnects at 5mb giving an SNR of only 2db so it will probably disconnect again tonight (why doesn't it try for 6db on reconnecting in the eveningHuh).
N/A

PN would save themselves alot of pain if they went through all the MaxDSL/disconnection tickets and got BT to move them all up to 9-12db noise margin with interleaving on.
James
Grafter

And seriously irritate a lot of gamers with the increased latency.