Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Domain Transfers are a joke

Sproglet
Grafter

And not a very good one at that.

I have a client who has a successful website that has several thousand hits a day.
When moving to Plusnet they decided to move the domain here as well.
Well it's nice to see that the pointers they were given when I moved in domains years ago were ignored.

What the hell (apart from bad programming) is stopping them from setting up the DNS servers BEFORE moving the master servers for the domain?

IF Plusnet were to get their fingers out and allow the setup of DNS entrys the moment the transfer request was made then there wouldn't be DAYS of downtime during a transfer.

At the moment the following happens:

1. You request a Transfer of your domain and PlusNet demand you get the DNS records of the WHOIS pointed at them.
2. The moment you do this your domain is no-longer visible.
3. Plusnet THEN request the domain to be transfered and sit 4. and wait.
5. and wait.
6. The domain details are updated to show Plusnet as Admin/technical contacts.
7. you wait some more.
8. over 24hrs later the domain is marked as active in your control panel BUT it's STILL not in the DNS servers.
9. So you wait.
10. EVENTUALLY the DNS servers get updated and your site is back up.

why so complicated?

The easy... 0 downtime method is:

1. you request your transfer, plusnet setup the domain on their DNS servers and allow you to manage it. they ask you to change the WHOIS entry DNS to point to their DNS servers.
2. you make the change and WOW your domain stays up because the DNS records are ALREADY THERE.
3. Plusnet make the changes to the contacts but big deal you don't care as your domain is still working and you don't have to wait, as they quote, up to 18 days.

Lets face it 18 days is worst timescale but I've seen it take 3days+ and if you were going to buy something, a website being down for 3 days would destroy your confidence in the company.

C'mon Plusnet update your systems to work in a sensible way (and before you say it cannot be done the way I suggested remember I used to be CTO of a company hosting over 1 million domains so I know it can.)
7 REPLIES
Sproglet
Grafter

AND IT GETS WORSE.

Yes I know it's caps but hopefully it'll get attention.

After a domain is "Transfered to plusnet" they take EVERYTHING:
Registrant ID:RC6389-BR
Registrant NameTonguelusNet Accounts
Registrant OrganizationTonguelusNet plc
Registrant Street1:Technology Building, Terry Str
Registrant Street2:eet
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Sheffield
Registrant State/Province:South York
Registrant Postal Code:S9 2BU
Registrant Country:GB
Registrant Phone:+44.1142200000
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:hostmaster@plus.net

Hoy Plusnet you don't OWN the domain so you are NOT the registrant.

What are you playing at?

I didn't realise "Transfer to plusnet" meant give them the bleedin ownership of the domain.
N/A

PN transfer in also change the isptag and they will be the new administrators. Believe they will charge £50 odd when the domain is up for renewal. You need to ask PN to change the tag back which will require you contacting the previous tag holders to handle the transfer back. If you need to transfer hosting to PN again this can't be done by the transfer tool but by ticket requesting hosting only.
N/A

Domain transfers pain

I'm currently having similar if not more trouble than this.
Had my Plusnet account for over 2 years now and decided to upgrade to a business tariff and migrate my Business domain.

I can honestly say, I've regretted that decision.

I agree about the A/MX record preparation before moving the IPStag would be a big step forward.

However a whole week after migration, my email is still not being forwarded correctly and all the A records I have populated in the configuration toool don't even appear on ns(1/2).force9.net nevermind any other DNS servers.

Raised a call on Wednesday (waiting the 48 hours as I might expect) and didn't get a response until Friday. Have asked for feedback and as yet have not had any response.

I've been really happy with the service up until now, but for a Business tarrif I think the response time is shocking.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Hi there,

There's no physical reason why we can't create the zone files first for a transfer. I can't advise specifically without knowing what sort of tld was being transferred (eg. .com, .co.uk etc.)

@themartinclan, it would appear our networks guys are looking into your issue. Can't promise anything but I'll try and give it a prod in the right direction.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

@themartinclan,

I've just had a look at your account myself. The reason mail isn't being forwarded is because you have not setup the manual records you added correctly.

You ommitted:-
domain.com.    	 A   	 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

I have since added this so allow some time for propogation and try again.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Sproglet
Grafter

There's no physical reason why we can't create the zone files first for a transfer.

I agree, there is no reason but for some reason you guys don't do it =o). It would cause a lot less grief for end users if this was to be implimented (you might want to suggest it to the developers)

The domain in question I was refering to was a .org
N/A

The bigger joke is when you ask for, and get, the TAG/registration transfered to another domain name company and still get charged for renewal of a site PlusNet no longer control.
Oh, and 18 days early.

Furious is not the word.