Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Broadband Firewall and Antivirus services

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Plusnet offers a broadband firewall and anti-virus protection as standard, which I have only just discovered, and turned on. I therefore turned off my personal firewall (Zonealarm) and anti-virus (AVG) and turned on the Plusnet srevices instead. I then ran the "Guards Up!" security test and got a 100% perfect result - as Plusnet probably knew I would as they recommend the "Guards Up!" test. Nevertheless, it seems pretty impressive.

Two questions. Does Plusnet lead the filed here for ISP's for offering this service, or is this sort of service common with other ISPs ? If the former is the case, it is an excellent reason for recommending Plusnet to others.

Secondly, is it safe / wise to turn off my Zone Alarm and AVG software and rely on the Plusnet services instead ?
15 REPLIES
itchyfeet
Grafter

Secondly, is it safe / wise to turn off my Zone Alarm and AVG software and rely on the Plusnet services instead ?

I wouldn't. The Plus.net firewall won't stop malicious programs which are inadvertently stored on your computer communicating with the outside world via other ports.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I too would take the belt and braces approach, with the PlusNet firewall, my routers firewall and a software firewall. The only downside to this is a tiny bit more work for you if you need to diagnose a problem with something not working, where it could be any one of the firewalls blocking something you want to pass through.

Phil
N/A

Agree with both of the above (although I don't bother with firewalls inside my LAN)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi,

I'd certainly say do not switch off the anti-virus. he anti-virus we have on email will only check your email, you could still download a virus from a file download or dodgy website so would say it's always best to keep seperate anti-virus protection.

Firewall, less so, our firewall will block in boundstuff but not outbound, something like Zone Alarm can monitor the outbound traffic as well.
shermans
Rising Star

Thanks all for your comments. I guess the answer is to keep both going.
Bookman
Grafter

I haven't looked at the details of the PlusNet antivirus but if it does not scan *outgoing* email then you still need separate antivirus software on your PC to stop you being accused of contaminating other people.

And if you are using the AVG free software - it's free so why not use it Wink
shermans
Rising Star

Mybarnes

You are obviously a student of Jeremy Paxman ! No, I did not tell the whole story.

I have a home LAN. Unfortunately, I left my power supply for my laptop in France recently, and while waiting to get it back, which will be three weeks, I have dusted off an old Windows 95 166 Mhz laptop, which runs well - in fact, I swear it is quicker than my XP laptop with all its bells and whistles !

The problem is that AVG no longer runs on Windows 95, nor does Zone Alarm. Therefore I was hoping that it would be safe enough to rely on the Plusnet firewall and antivirus for the time being.

So now my shameful secret is out. It will teach me to be more careful when I pack up my laptop in future !!
Bookman
Grafter

Shermans,
You might be able to run the DSL Linux operating system (DSL here = Damn Small Linux) from a CD on your Win95 PC. I don't know much about computers or software but I use Ubuntu Linux - this would be too big, but DSL is designed for "small" PCs. Have a look at the web site:

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

If it looks useful you would need a friend to download it and burn it to a PC - then I guess you could use this as a "live" CD and run DSL without affecting your hard drive. At least you could then surf the web and send/receive email! (Although with Linux you still always have to take care you don't pass on a Windows virus to a Windows user).
shermans
Rising Star

Thanks. I will certainly try that. I can still use my XP desktop, so I can download and burn through that, and then try the CD on the old 95 laptop. Thanks for the tip.
shermans
Rising Star

Mybarnes

Sorry, fell at the first post. I followed the link and discovered that I have to download *.iso, which is presumably the basic OS. But I could not find any files with ISO extensions iin the morror sites. I am just being plain stupid, but can you tell me where you downloaded from, and which files ?

This is a bad start !! :?
N/A

Try this mirror:

ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/damnsmall/dsl-n/current/

It has .iso's available for download.
Bookman
Grafter

Sorry I can't help with details - I haven't used DSL Linux myself but I see it recommended often in the Ubuntu Linux forums when people need an OS for an old, less powerful computer or want to boot from a small CD etc.

Ubuntu has spawned its own lite versions like Xubuntu and Fluxbuntu but I think these probably still have more demand on RAM and processor speed.

Of course, if you have burned DSL onto a CD you need to go into your old PC's BIOS and set it to boot from CD rather than hard disk. Not difficult - you just have to know or find out the keystroke to hit as your PC boots so that it defaults to BIOS.
Ianwild
Grafter

Xubuntu needs 64MB of RAM - I use it on a couple of pretty aged boxes.

Ian
shermans
Rising Star

My old girl has only 48 MB of RAM - a 166 processor. Would Ubuntu work on that ?

I hate to consign it to the garbage because I am rather sentimental about it. I only use it for light use - and it's a fraction of the weight of my all singing, all dancing XP laptop which is more like a weopon of mass destruction than a laptop !