cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Antivirus scanning

N/A

Has anyone else noticed that if you turn on Antivirus scanning in Plusnet that it has a side effect of messing up any appointments received in things like OUTLOOK?
I have raised a ticked on this about 3 days ago but as yet no one has commented on it.
Usually I find that any contact us ticket is at least responded to in less than 24 hours.
Has this antivirus problem been reported before? and if so is there any solution?
Thanks
Tony
9 REPLIES
N/A

Hello Tony,

I've been using the Force9 anti virus & anti spam filtering service for months now and I also use outlook as my mail client and have done for a long time now but I've never had a seconds problem with any aspect of outlook as a result.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
The True power of knowledge is when its shared
Community Veteran

This is the first report of this I have heard on the message boards. Maybe you need to look at your local configuration. The only difference when the AV is enabled is a new footer is added to each incoming email indicating it was scanned. This should not interfer with anything outlook does with the email.
holdtight
Grafter

Ditto ! i use exactly the same features / functions and not had a moments problem with any of it

Peter may be right about your configuration probably worth going through it
N/A

It is this footer that is causing the problem ... The Calendar entry is sent as a VCARD and the footer stops outlook from recognising it.
The tests I did between Me (tony on plusnet) my wife (on plusnet and at work)
A friend on plusnet.
Basically outgoing appointments work
Inbound from plusnet and non plusnet customers get stuffed up because of the footer.
When I disabled anti virus, both inbound and outbound appointmetns worked.
We can test this if you want.
I have OUTLOOK with office XP and service pack 3.
N/A

Bill and Ivan,
I too have been a plusnet customer since the beginning and only got this problem since the footer was turned on.
If either of you want to help in a test and show me if I am being stupid then I am quite happy to do it again. Everyone can make mistakes, but my config on outlook has the option "when sending meetiing reque4st overt the internet ......" turned on.
Also remember this happens wtih my wife's laptop and a friend who also has done the same test on plusnet, with the same result.
Are you sure you have tested an incomming appointment which had the footer on it?
Thanks
N/A

The solution I have from Plusnet is to turn off virus scanning. Really this is unacceptable. I consider this a bug and it should be corrected.
Is this normal for a supplier to say - if our feature (which you are paying for) does not work then don't use it"
With the amount of virus's out there, I can't believe i got that recomendation.
Community Veteran

You could always install your own virus scanning software. There are plenty of free for home use versions around that do a very good job.

As with all software, there are always things that are incompatible with others and you just happen to have hit one of those situations.

I also can't beleive that others have not reported this problem before which leads me to think it is still a config issue on your setup.
N/A

Peter I am quite happy to show you this problem. Or even be shown wrong...
On all our PCs at home we do have norton Anti virus installed (and for some kids this includes parental control). But I wanted the added protection of the Plusnet service too..
If any of the others want to test this with me then just let me know.
Plusnet have just said they will take this up with their developers,,, but hat sounds like a polite..go away.. but I may be wrong.
TIA
N/A

ocluk

if u want me to try and replicate this for you from my account please pm me