cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet speedtest. Complete twoddle!

N/A

Just did a speed test on ADSLGUIDE and I was getting 1.3Mb (nice!) so compared it to +Nets test and got 88.14Mb :shock: Err... :?
9 REPLIES
N/A

So if you restrict your internet usage to running the PN speed tester you'll have a REALLY fast connection! Cool

Eric
N/A

I did a spped test with Manesco and got 2.3 MB, did one with ADSLGuide and got 2 MB. did one with Plus and got 258 MB :roll:
If Plus was the correct one I could set myself up as an ISP!
JonathanW
Grafter

I've just run a couple myself, and things seem to be okay with the speed tester.

Though I know it cana give some crazy results if you're using some security software, so it might be worth turning off any firewall software for a couple of minutes and then running the test again.
N/A

Cheers Jon. Just turned off Symantec and speed test dropped to 1.8Mb Cry At least I know the truth now Wink
N/A

I don't like turning off my firewall. PlusNet should not use a speed tester that opens computers to all the internet nasties.. if I set it to report all hacking attempts I can get several every second!

But I always turn my firewall off before running Plus speed tests. If I don't I can't run them.. I get a result of a big zero!

The 20 to 2000 mb/s speeds I've sometimes got from it are always with my firewall off and cache cleared.
Most of the time it does give reasonabe results, but at others it has a nervous breakdown and becomes manic.

IMHO no speed test other that BT can be relied on, but Plus is the most unreliable. The only 'plus' side is that you know that crazy speeds are just .. crazy... so you take no notice of them.
But on the rare occassions when somebody gets crazy speeds, that does detract from the PlusNet image for reliability.
N/A

Had trouble a week ago re slow speeds (less than 1Mb) so have run BT Speedtest alongside Plus Net - both are similar. Strangely (but happily) the speeds have increased in the last 2 days to over 3Mb which is probably the optimum I'm likely to get here in the sticks.
Community Veteran

I run avg firewall and antivirus and it makes no difference to plusnet forewall. it's nearly always way out when compaired to others that I use.

A
sinewave
Grafter

This is the speed test to use IMO:
http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

Its always given me consistent results (so far).

I obsessively watch my speed at the moment - a side effect of
"DSLMax(imumHassle)"

I usually have a solid 4 to 4.5Mb/s but I get the occasional off day. Yesterday I could not get over 2Mb at any time. (also confirmed by the now-acknowledged-to-be-wrong BT speedtester)

Just for fun my quick test today showed that I'm getting
4175kb/s (=521kb/s), 4127kb/s, and 4150kb/s (=518kB/s) on the NDO/Namesco tester (above link)

Three tests on PN speedtest give: 2988kb/s, 2941kb/s and 2164kb/s (!)

When I download a 30MB file from my plusnet webspace I get around 490kB/s - very much inline with the NDO speed test.

My conclusion is PN's speedtester is borked. (this is not a recent conclusion!)
Community Veteran

aso using same speed test as it does give consistent results esp when compaired to some.

A