cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet's New Network Mangement. Broken?

N/A

Problem ID: 4468106

OK, I understand peoples pings are up the wall, and that this system is resticting P2P.

Is this also causing problems with games AND packet loss?

I pay to play games, and now I can't, yep im *censored*.

To be specific I play Ultima Online, or rather now I TRY to play. My connection is now running like a 14.4 modem.

Is it possible you could reconfigure your software for specific servers?

Are you going to be changing the Network Management when the new pipe comes? If not I dont see how its going to make a difference.
11 REPLIES
N/A

RE: PlusNet's New Network Mangement. Broken?

Hi,

All these issues are under consideration and we realise that there have been a few broblems.

We are confident however, that when we have made the scheduled changes, you will see a vast improvement.

Please bear with us at this time, your patience is appreciated.

Regards,
Mark.

--
| Mark Hague...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----+
N/A

Ek! Ultima On-line and its dreaded "bank lag" one of the reasones I had to stop playing it unfortuneatly (never set up again once I got the isdn line installed) maybe if plus.net get things sorted I might come back...

Cheers
Will
N/A

I also play UO and had exactly the same problem it was like a 9600 modem if i was lucky, in fact i had to switch to a 56k modem to get the game to patch up at all and i know it wasnt my router as i have all my ports forwarded through, but i cant tell what its like now as my adsl has now gone totally up sh*t creek without a paddle and still waithing for BT to fix it (5th day now)

Ali
N/A

> I also play UO and had exactly the same problem it was like a 9600 modem if i was lucky, in fact i had to switch to a 56k modem to get the game to patch up at all and i know it wasnt my router as i have all my ports forwarded through, but i cant tell what its like now as my adsl has now gone totally up sh*t creek without a paddle and still waithing for BT to fix it (5th day now)
>
> Ali

5 DaysHuh
That really inspires me with confidence with BT fixing mine then Sad

Darran.
N/A

> > I also play UO and had exactly the same problem it was like a 9600 modem if i was lucky, in fact i had to switch to a 56k modem to get the game to patch up at all and i know it wasnt my router as i have all my ports forwarded through, but i cant tell what its like now as my adsl has now gone totally up sh*t creek without a paddle and still waithing for BT to fix it (5th day now)
> >
> > Ali
>
>
> 5 DaysHuh
> That really inspires me with confidence with BT fixing mine then Sad
>
> Darran.
>

I would say that 5 days is an exception rather than the rule, BT can fix most faults within about 24 hours but unfortunately a small number do drag on past 48 hours. Ali, we will be chasing BT again this afternoon over the outstanding fault, we will keep you informed of any further updates.

Regards,
Robert

| Robert Kelly........................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support...........................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd...............http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----------
N/A

Yeh Darran

Ive been keeping an eye on your probs as well to see how yours turns out.
Mines was working fine except for the UO problem then one morning woke up about to check my mail and i noticed i wasnt getting a connection and line synch light was flashing, that was last Saturday and no joy since then.

Its not Plusnets fault, but what can i do ive checked everything at my end even opened up my wall sockets last night to check for bad wiring but every thing is fine, phones and 56k modem work fine so unless my router is dodgy and i find that hard to believe as its only one month old (Alcatel Speedtouch Pro Ethernet) then the problem is definately BT but they have now had coming up to 3 working days to fix it and i think anything beyond that is unsatisfactory whether you a home or business user and i believe this reflects badly on Plusnet through no fault of their own.

Alistair

rslsys
Grafter

> I would say that 5 days is an exception rather than the rule, BT can fix most faults within about 24 hours but unfortunately a small number do drag on past 48 hours. Ali, we will be chasing BT again this afternoon over the outstanding fault, we will keep you informed of any further updates.
>
> Regards,
> Robert
>
> | Robert Kelly........................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Customer Support...........................for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd...............http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----------

It has taken me 23 days to get a BT engineer on site . . .

N/A

As a rule of thumb:

If you can't get line sync the fault lies between your equipment and the exchange (usually a BT fault).

If you can log in to the BT test usernames but not your plusnet one the fault lies between us and BT (usually one of the home gateway routers).

If you can log in to your username but can't get anywhere the fault lies between us and BT (either network issue this end, e.g. misconfigured IP, or BT's RADIUS isn't working properly).

If it's a performance issue the fault can lie at either the customer, BT, or our end. They are the most difficult to pin down.

This is just a rough and messy guide, and is by no means black and white, I've seen end user equipment faults that have duplicated all of the above faults, so your mileage may vary.

Regards,
Mike

--
| Mike Grice.....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

what is the test login for BT?
csogilvie
Grafter

From the ADSL Troubleshooting Tutorial
Login Problems - Test Logins

A generic login exists that will work even if your account login refuses to work, or there are service problems. Also if you are experiencing intermittent problems with your connection, it's good to check with this test login, the login bypasses the Plus.Net systems totally.

Use the following details:

Username: bt_test@startup_domain
Password: (ignored)

Once authenticated, you can browse to a single site, http://www.bt.net/digitaldemo which currently consists of a single graphic image.

A second test login exists to show whether the connection between you and PlusNet is working. If you can connect to this, it proves that the BT ADSL network is working correctly and any connection problem lies within the PlusNet system itself, although we do see many cases where people have been originally trying the wrong username or their modem is sending the wrong password, so this should be double checked before logging a fault with support.

Username: bt_test_user@adsl_connection_realm
Password: (ignored)

Your ADSL connection realm will be plus.net or plusdsl.net dependent upon the date you signed up for PlusNet ADSL. To find out which username you should use click on the Connection Settings link to the left, and then navigate to 'Connection Details'.

There are no sites to visit using this login.
Ianwild
Grafter

Arghhhh! Resurrecting threads from Apr 2002.

Can we let this one die please? It confuses me too much.

Cheers,