cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet redefines ADSL Broadband

N/A

Firstly, am synced at 4mbps, with a profile of 3000kbps.

Official Definitions:
ADSL = Asymmetric (with downloads > uploads)
Broadband = 512kbps+

PlusNet Definitions:
ADSL = Asymmetric (with uploads > downloads)
Broadband = 56kbps

This has got to be some kind of record?

32 REPLIES
Azagoth
Grafter

N/A

And another:

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1170707534&v=647338

Date of Speed Test: 2007-02-05 20:32:14
Download Speed: 94 kbps (11.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 113 kbps (14.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Speedtest.net did a little better:

Zdnet UK gave me a stonking 72kbps, 46kbps, and 53kbps.

Meanwhile, BT test shows:

The IP address discovered on the network associated with your telephone number did not match the one we have logged from this browser/connection. Please check your telephone number and try again. If problem persists please contact your CP.

Or this:

'The system is currently busy. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider'
N/A

Community Veteran

You win!

No he doesnt.... Wink

N/A

Wow!

That is VERY impressive.

I think PN should give you that car in order that you can drive to the datacentre hosting the website and access the data you need to - it would surely be quicker than 38kbps?
Community Veteran

Nah - Ive had as low as 7 before, but that was a BT issue at the time.

Its a concern that this time rather than a small minority of users or top percentage etc, it seems to be a whole subset of customers, the entire BB+ userbase.

It is puzzling why an issue like this, which must be affecting the largest slice of the pie interms of revenue is still persisting. If its by design, then the future will certainly be entertaining to say the least.
N/A

How do I get the screen dumps of the speed test? I tohught I was the only one getting these sort of results. What is going on?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Re: PlusNet redefines ADSL Broadband

Firstly, am synced at 4mbps, with a profile of 3000kbps.

And your peak time usage would be?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

It is puzzling why an issue like this, which must be affecting the largest slice of the pie interms of revenue is still persisting. If its by design, then the future will certainly be entertaining to say the least.

Hi,

Are you seeing the same result on the BT speedtest? No problems showing at your exchange but I know you've had problems with it before so could easily be the same again.
Community Veteran

To get a screen dump of the test above you need to do a print screen and upload it somwhere like photobucket.

You can just link to it though, but sadly no pic.

It appears that all BB+ users are being affected in this manner.
N/A

Re: PlusNet redefines ADSL Broadband

And your peak time usage would be?

A nice solid 18GB I believe - though I am unable to access the View My Usage tool at the moment... it just stops loading without loading the graphs. (I thought I'd see if it's even possible to use the 20GB allowance in a month, and at the speeds I am seeing I don't think it is)

However, what puzzles me is that even when "Level 2 Managemenht" has been reached the PlusNet site states:

"Though most Internet activities like browsing and email remain available at fast speeds."

Well, if you're suggesting that my peak time usage is the cause of my slow speeds - then this goes wholly against what it states on your site!!!

Furthermore, the site states:
Peak Usage P2P etc. Web/Email
17 - 20GB Up to 128Kbps Up to 1Mbps

Well, I'm not seeing anywhere near 1mbps as can be seen from my various speed tests.

The best bit, of course, is that I am still technically within my 20GB peak allowance. It's a good thing I never normally use more than 9GB peak.

It's time PlusNet admitted that they are screwing ALL their customers over. Of course, you won't do this, because you're too busy telling all the customers that their slow speeds, etc. etc. are their own fault... as you just did with me.

In reality, for £21.99 a month I am getting:

10GB peak NOT 20GB peak

And, even then, I am still not free to use the first 10GB entirely as I see fit - as the speeds on IRC and P2P are still incredibly slow even when the bandwidth use figures have been reset.

PlusNet is an enormous con. You are mis-selling your services, you're fobbing customers off with nonsense and on top of all of that you claim to be "transparent, open" etc.

Well, anyone looking at these forums, or indeed the posts on ADSLGuide/ThinkBroadband, will see that PlusNet are a nightmare.

Gone are the days of PlusNet helping customers and going the extra mile. Perhaps the change was inevitable as PN went from a relatively small ISP to a mass market one; perhaps not; but at the end of the day, PlusNet at the beginning of 2007 are weaker than ever, and when you do finally waive your fees I would also wave (haha) goodbye to a lot of your customers.

So, tell me again, what's my peak usage got to do with my ridiculous speeds?

EDIT: Link to source of quotes:
http://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml#peaktime
Community Veteran

Hi,

Are you seeing the same result on the BT speedtest? No problems showing at your exchange but I know you've had problems with it before so could easily be the same again.

I cant get a BT speedtest to run (its too busy, or broken). The funny thing is speeds return to normal outside peak times. When I had my previous issue, the speeds were consistantly very low (remember the 7mb connection lol).

This tme its fluctuating with the peak/off peak times, just like lots of other BB+ users.

Has something been changed recently that may account for this, it certainly looks that way.
N/A

This tme its fluctuating with the peak/off peak times, just like lots of other BB+ users.

Has something been changed recently that may account for this, it certainly looks that way.

PN made some "Improvements"(to the Ellacoyas i presume) last Wednesday. This just happened to coincide with the ultralow peak time(and often as early as 2.30pm so i suppose 'busy time' is more appropriate) speed issues.
No coincidence i imagine.
N/A

I just managed to conduct a BT Speedtest and got the following messages:

Assuming I do not have a fault with my line, it would seem that the ellacoyas even shape/throttle/manage the BT speed test? Could this be part of the reason why some PN users are wholly unable to get through the test? (Packet drops etc.)

Anyway, intrigued, I continued and got this message:

Sadly, I tried doing as instructed, but my router refused to accept a blank password, so i just typed in 'password' and gave it a whirl. Well, the router reconnected fine, and got an IP address and DNS etc. but when I continued with the test it simply timed out.

So... what on earth is going on with the BT Speed test? Does the second part ever work?