Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet please admit that the problem with peak time speeds

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Where is the status message regarding a general slowing down of browsing?

The Broadband Plus status update is here:

http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1170358743.htm

Tiscali sent us a list of exchanges that they are investigating for speed problems a couple of days ago (there's quite a few on the list), so hopefully they'll be able to sort that one shortly.
swatty
Grafter

The Broadband Plus status update is here:

http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1170358743.htm

Tiscali sent us a list of exchanges that they are investigating for speed problems a couple of days ago (there's quite a few on the list), so hopefully they'll be able to sort that one shortly.

Dave,

The link above is to the original statement, made on Thursday, which says there would be an update on Friday. I believe it is that update that quartzconsulting was looking for. Also hope PN realise that the sluggish browsing is not only affecting LLU customer but also BT customers like me

Simon
N/A

bah !!!
current downspeed 20k
current upload 0k

this is good speed plusnet keep it up Smiley
bobbygeorge
Grafter

bah !!!
current downspeed 20k
current upload 0k

what,

do you actually expect over 20KB/s 'off peak' ..

try again from 4am - 6am ..

thats the only time you'll get it ..

what more do you want for your monthly fee !!

you'll be wanting broadband next :shock:

no pleasing some people .. :roll:
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I don't want to start a virility contest, but have you evidence that it is only (or fundamentally) bandwidth hogs. Clearly they have a disproportionate impact and need to be managed, but I think the underlying problem is insufficient bandwidth. From my perspective (relatively light downloader, do not use binary news groups etc) things have been getting progressively worse. Something is wrong - and its not reasonable users with reasonable expectations of the advertised package they pay for.

The problem isn't down to insufficient bandwidth, the amount of bandwidth we have currently is correct for the amount of customers we have and the accounts they have. Each account type contributes a certain amount for bandwidth costs and where customers are regularly using the products outside of the product design that skews the usage figures for that product.

The best advice I can give is to check your usage and see if it's appropiate for the account you are on and if not upgrade. For many this may not mean that the usage is "too high" but that they would be better off switching to PAYG from Plus for example (if you use less than 2GB per month between 8am and midnight then the cost is exactly the same).
N/A

If only it were only peak time that the problems were occurring. It's not even 2.30 on a Saturday afternoon and ,bang, speeds have just crashed. downstream and up. Fucking useless

Yes, I'm annoyed.
johnmglen
Grafter

I can confirm this. My speeds are now in freefall. Down to less than 1Mbps now. Was about 5Mbps this morning.

This is all about peak traffic, it is nothing to do with individual setup as that's been checked and rechecked. This is about a large scale problem on the network.

Strangely, my exchange always shows green so the problem must be further back?Huh
bobbygeorge
Grafter

The problem isn't down to insufficient bandwidth, the amount of bandwidth we have currently is correct for the amount of customers we have and the accounts they have.

Dave,

you surely cannot be serious with that statement,

It has been suggested by many of you guys that bandwidth is certainly a major issue with regards to the platform and resulting poor speeds seen on silver/bronze traffic, we have also been told that we will 'certainly' see at least some improvements in these areas of concern.

with extra capacity going online within the next few months are you now saying that we cannot expect to see any improvement in performance after all as you now suggest we were all on the correct management anyway, if this is so isn't this simply down to plusnet's poor management of the customers accounts which would result in the pathetic 'off peak' speeds being achieved.

if that IS is the case can we also assume that due to plusnet's account mis-management this is as good as it is gonna get regardless of any further capacity investment.

All our hopes dashed with that single statement !! :shock:

quite unbelievable !!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 60

I am getting a little sick of comments about the product design and peoples excessive use even though they are within all the various limits (SUP, FUP and anything else you care to mention) - whose fault is that.
Compare and contrast -
The problem isn't down to insufficient bandwidth, the amount of bandwidth we have currently is correct for the amount of customers we have and the accounts they have. Each account type contributes a certain amount for bandwidth costs and where customers are regularly using the products outside of the product design that skews the usage figures for that product.

Announcement from James Bailey PlusNet Communications Coordinator.
Hello everyone!
We’re going to be increasing our usage allowances against our Plus, Premier and Broadband Basic packages on August 1st. This will apply to all customers from that date, unlike previous updates where the change only applied when your billing is renewed.

The fact that the product design was not properly reflected in the product as sold with increased usage allowances and without increases in capacity is not the fault of the customers so perhaps the new product announcement, when it comes, will ensure that the products being offered to the customers reflect the product design and not some other marketing aim.
N/A

Just to say that I have started up this thread for feedback....

http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,4283.0.html
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

This is all about peak traffic, it is nothing to do with individual setup as that's been checked and rechecked. This is about a large scale problem on the network.

We've already posted on service status that we are aware of a problem with Broadband Plus speeds and that is currently being worked on, however that doesn't mean that every case of slow speed is caused by this so they do need looking at individually to be sure.

The best answer I can give though is that if you want the best performance on our network is to switch over the PAYG.
fistsbs
Grafter

My connection today:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 3381 kbps (422.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 5 kbps (0.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

you surely cannot be serious with that statement,

Of course I'm being serious, why else would I have said it.

It has been suggested by many of you guys that bandwidth is certainly a major issue with regards to the platform and resulting poor speeds seen on silver/bronze traffic, we have also been told that we will 'certainly' see at least some improvements in these areas of concern.

The concern isn't about the bandwidth but how that bandwidth is managed and how it is spread out amongst customers.

Every customer contributes a certain amount towards the total bandwidth costs. When you work it out on a per GB basis, PAYG customers pay the most, then Premier, then Plus. When you add all the figures up you get to the current bandwidth levels that we have. Part of the job of the traffic management is therefore to ensure that the available bandwidth is spread out in a fair way based on how much each product type contributes to the cost.

Where customers are using above the product design for the product they are on they are skewing the usage figures, so customers that should be on Premier on PAYG perhaps are skewing the Broadband Plus figures.

with extra capacity going online within the next few months are you now saying that we cannot expect to see any improvement in performance after all as you now suggest we were all on the correct management anyway, if this is so isn't this simply down to plusnet's poor management of the customers accounts which would result in the pathetic 'off peak' speeds being achieved.

That isn't what I'm saying. Right now we have a number of aims including, but not necessarily limited to, fixing the gold drops, get the network in balance, get the products properly balanced and improve performance of silver traffic.

We could do this without extra bandwidth. We don't need the extra bandwidth to achieve this. The extra capacity is there for the sessions not because we need the extra bandwidth. We will of course use the extra bandwidth but if the problems haven't been resolved it will just mask the resolutions to them.

So whilst I have no dought that the extra bandwidth will stop the gold drops and give better performance for silver traffic, I think that's fairly obvious, we would still be able to achieve our aims without it.

What it really all highlights is the need to get off IPStream sooner rather than later and on to Wholesale Broadband Connect. That's the big stumbling block. We're starting to enter a broadband world that's not just about browsing and email, which is what IPStream was designed for.

if that IS is the case can we also assume that due to plusnet's account mis-management this is as good as it is gonna get regardless of any further capacity investment.

That asks two questions.

1. Will there be extra IPStream capacity?
2. When are you are starting to move customers to Wholesale Broadband Connect (WBC)?

The answer to 1. I personally don't know, the BT price changes come in in May and that's also when we are looking at a product refresh and there's also 2. to consider.

The answer to 2. is as soon as we can, we have some test lines there already and will be looking to add some trialists at some point, more details to come on that. Part of the idea behind WBC is that it's designed around web 2.0 and video on demand and VoIP and all that sort of stuff, so there isn't the worry about sessions and load balancing and 622Mbps pipes that are made up of twelve 52Mbps tunnels and all that jazz.
Community Veteran

The best answer I can give though is that if you want the best performance on our network is to switch over the PAYG.

That's something you've said on a couple of occasions now and it rather worries me.

Does it imply that you don't envisage BB+ offering a usable experience for simple browsing?

Or that no effort is going to be put into developing BB+ so that those of us who are using it are going to be stranded on a "legacy" product at some stage?

paul
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I am getting a little sick of comments about the product design and peoples excessive use even though they are within all the various limits (SUP, FUP and anything else you care to mention) - whose fault is that.

Maybe it's phrased incorrectly and maybe we need to better list what account a customers should be on.

Here's a few examples of what I mean. Which accout type would you think the following usage patterns should be on?

1. Regularly uses 4GB or just over at peak, off peak usage is mainly scheduled P2P/Usenet

2. Normally uses around 1-2GB at peak, occassionally (once every 3 months) uses 2-4GB at peak, doesn't use P2P/Usenet

3. Never uses more than 2GB between 8am and midnight, sometimes downloads P2P/Usenet overnight

4. Never uses more than 4GB between 8am and midnight, sometimes downloads P2P/Usenet overnight

5. Never uses more than 6GB between 8am and midnight, sometimes downloads P2P/Usenet overnight

Now I'd say that best options for each of these would be

1. Premier or PAYG with 6GB
2. Plus or PAYG with 2GB and pay an extra £1.80 on the higher months
3. PAYG with 2GB
4. PAYG with 4GB
5. Premier or PAYG with 6GB

If they were all on Plus, which they all could be, then 1. will see restrictions every month and 4. and 5. may do too depending on how much if the usage is at peak. 2. may see restrictions some months.

Imagine there were 1,000 customers doing each of these so we can calculate the peak time usage (for 3, 4 and 5 all usage is assumed to be at peak):

1. 1,000 x 4GB = 4,000GB
2. 667 x 2GB + 333 x 4GB = 2666GB
3. 1,000 x 2GB = 2,000GB
4. 1,000 x 4GB = 4,000GB
5. 1,000 x 6GB = 6,000GB

For a total of 18,666GB or an average of 3.7332GB.

If the customers under 1. and 5. upgraded then the average (mean) drops down to 2.89GB.

Now as we provision bandwidth based on how many customers there are rather than how much they use by lowering the mean usage figure the bandwidth can be more fairly shared by the Broadband Plus customers.