cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet please admit that the problem with peak time speeds

N/A

Agreed: PN seem to have got their business model wrong (at least from the customer's perspective) or mis-advertised their products and are now blaming the customer, who has become the 'enemy' for using the service within advertised parameters. This is not about a minority of bandwidth hogs, anymore.

I read with hope the latest post about 'things will get better', but so far talk is cheap. I thought they might be about to regain the same focus that made them the best in years past (not cheapest/shoody service) - we will see.
Community Veteran

This is not about a minority of bandwidth hogs, anymore.

To a degree it *is* about the bandwidth hogs and the affect they have on the service for us all.

It is also clear the Ellanoya, although clearly a great tool, is not all it is cracked up to be in it current configuration.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I don't dispute they have their uses, but we now have a situation where they are used to manage too little of something for far too many users.

Therefore the profiling has to be severe to allow all those users any kind of service when they're all awake (i.e. peak) ergo the current problems we are facing.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Where is the status message regarding a general slowing down of browsing?

Some comments on LLU and Premier but there is nothing about the general slowdown many, many are experiencing.

Where is the new PlusNet openness and communicationsHuh?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@quartzconsulting

As I understood it, this was an issue specifically related to Plus accounts (which I am on). I've heard reports about LLU (which has been said is a separate issue, the problem which has been admitted only relates to Plus apparently).

Are you having speed issues as well? As you're on PAYG then if so it would seem it is not as localised to one account type as has been stated.
N/A

This is not about a minority of bandwidth hogs, anymore.

To a degree it *is* about the bandwidth hogs and the affect they have on the service for us all.

It is also clear the Ellanoya, although clearly a great tool, is not all it is cracked up to be in it current configuration.

SW.

I don't want to start a virility contest, but have you evidence that it is only (or fundamentally) bandwidth hogs. Clearly they have a disproportionate impact and need to be managed, but I think the underlying problem is insufficient bandwidth. From my perspective (relatively light downloader, do not use binary news groups etc) things have been getting progressively worse. Something is wrong - and its not reasonable users with reasonable expectations of the advertised package they pay for.
N/A

In my view there is a problem with silver traffic on Premier which starts at approx 1pm until 11pm daily. If you think 9kb/s is an acceptable speed for silver traffic then please would you get Neil Armstrong to come on here and confirm that.

I agree 100% with you pmarsh.

It is only just over a month ago when it was stated that 100kb/s was a target acceptable minimum speed for silver traffic on premier.

I don't know how I missed this - but I did - and if that's the target minimum then they are majorly underperforming for a large portion of the day.
johnmglen
Grafter

I am concerned that the usual snappy responses on this part of the forum have all but dried up. Are PN running scared on this one?
Richchad
Grafter

Great post brandon2 :lol:

I know exactly how you feel :x
N/A

We're making various tweaks to the network currently, to try and make various improvements in customer experience. I can't give a guarantee/expectation on Silver traffic currently.

Either way, there's no way that this will be looked at until the problems being reported with http speeds are fixed.

Really daft question here - but presumably all these "changes" are logged - why not unpick them and revert back to the environment configuration which was working better a few days ago?

Is this not possible?
N/A

am the same as welll speed is crap
just like plusnet service crap
substandard internet provider, that am currently telling
everyone in the UK. to stay well clear Smiley

Ofcom are looking into my complaint with this provider....
Community Veteran

I originated one of the posts mentioned. My speeds had been perfectly fine since the pre-xmas speed crash debacle was sorted out.

Then without warning they started dropping dramatically in the early evening ... it appeared to coincide with the rollout of the firewall, but that may be a red herring.

I'd really love to know "what changed"
N/A

What hasn't changed is Plusnet's silence when the speed issue comes up. It's predictably quiet.
It's sheer incompetence for them to have this problem AGAIN. so soon after last time. do they not learn anything from experience?
They keep harping on about "thing's are getting better" and "hang on in with us you'll see the changes" but were not even back to the levels of service of 15 months ago, let alone seeing things improve.
Come Feb 14th they will have to give me my mac..and they can bloody well chase me for any outstanding fees. I seriously cant remember ever getting a month of continuous, good, trouble free service.

More than anything I'm fed up with being a beta tester for the Ellacoyas. PN continually fail to test the changes they make and we the customers get shafted every time because of it.
If this were my business I'd have kicked some staff arses out the door by now, repeating the mistakes of the past over and over tells me they just aren't learning.
bobbygeorge
Grafter

We are investing in more bandwidth, although this is mainly for the session expansion at the moment.

well, so we will see no performance improvements then :shock:

great news for silver/bronze traffic !!

we all had such high hopes for this ..
N/A

we all had such high hopes for this ..

Quite frankly i don't have high hopes for anything PN do...my limited experience with PN tells me they are incompetent beyond belief and manage to screw things up continuously, repeating mistakes and not learning from them.
I fear the minuscule amount of bandwidth they are 'investing' in will make such a small difference as to be barely noticable to the average punter.

If the company as a whole performed as well as the frontline staff do we might see some progress.