cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet overcharging me

N/A

PlusNet overcharging me

I have been on what is now the Teleworker Premier up to 8Mb service and have been paying £65 a month for almost two years now.

I have never really worried about what I was paying as the payment went out via direct debit and I was always happy with the service I received.

That was until 16th December when I received my "Usage on your broadband account" e-mail informing me peak-time management was being applied to my account.

Ever since then the service I have received has been apalling and practically unusable for P2P.

On investigation I determined that the service I am signed up for only costs £46 a month now and when I queried this with "customer support" ( a mis-noma ) they said it hadn't been changed because I hadn't asked it to be!!!

So I reaised a ticket to get it changed, so far the ticket has gone backwards and forwards numerous times with the latset being that they insist I have to pay a regrade fee.

All I want to to pay the correct amount for the service I receive, is that unreasable? Has anyone else had similar problems?

Anyway what with the restrictions placed on my account and the continuing overcharging I have had enough and am of to Zen.

Interestingly enough, I raised my ticket for the migration and immediately received a response asking why I was moving and if there was anything they could do to help. I referred than to my other tickets to which their response was to send me my MAC code!!

Customer Service at its best lol.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

PlusNet overcharging me

I believe all accounts were entitled to one free downgrade when the upto 4MB and up to 8MB products were released so I would argue and claim that.

It has always been the customers responsibility to ensure they are on the best product for their use so the answer you got from CS was actually correct.

Also under the vision for 2006 (see the announcements forum), PlusNet stated they would be refunding all accounts that were on the 4MB and 8MB products the difference between the up to 2MB product cost and what they were paying because it was taking too long for the higher speeds to be available. You should also query when you will get that refund, although there may be usage limits applied to whether you get the refund or not.

So you may want to hold fire on the migration to see what refunds you may get.
N/A

PlusNet overcharging me

But I am still being charged £65 for a service that costs £46.
And they want to charge me £15 simply to change the amount they bill me.
The service is the right one it is the price that is wrong.
Community Veteran

PlusNet overcharging me

Then, as I suggested, claim your free downgrade and keep pushing that entitlement if they refuse to do it. I have had several accounts that were on the higher priced product (one business & one residential) which were downgraded free of charge under this offer.

As for paying too much, as I explained, it is your responsibility to ensure you are on the correct product for your use and PN cannot be held responsible if you are on the wrong product, especially when details and prices are readily visible on their websites.

Also see what refund you are entitled too as this may help the situation as well.
ceridwen
Grafter

PlusNet overcharging me

So lets clarify - your account details lists your account as

"Teleworker Premier up to 8Mb"

You are paying £65 a month

On the PN website the package called

"Teleworker Premier up to 8Mb"

is advertised at £46 a month

PN now want to charge you £15 to move from the "Teleworker Premier up to 8Mb" package to the "Teleworker Premier up to 8Mb" package?

Matthew
Community Veteran

PlusNet overcharging me

Remember, the £65 probably includes VAT, the £46.80 does not, so the actual price is £54.99

laras, Also what product are you actually trying to change too as I had assumed you were going for something like the teleworker up to 2Mb product?
N/A

PlusNet overcharging me

My account details are listed as "Plus.Net HomeWorker Pro - Up to 8Mb" which is nowhere to be found on the plusnet web site. As far as I can tell the service is now called "Teleworker Premier up to 8Mb" .
N/A

PlusNet overcharging me

I don't want to change service I just want to pay the correct amount.
I have a 20:1 contention ratio, unlimited(ish), up to 8Mb service which was / is called "Plus.Net HomeWorker Pro - Up to 8Mb".
As far as I can tell from the plus net web site this is now called "Teleworker Premier up to 8Mb" .
Community Veteran

PlusNet overcharging me

AH, OK I understand now.

When the new products were introduced (as you stated homeworker was replaced with teleworker), no customers were automatically changed to the new products. They remained on their existing products, with the existing features at the existing price. It is the customer who must instruct PN to change their product, PN cannot do this automatically without your authorisation.

As a result you would have continued with the product you had at the price you were always paying.

Again I stress, it is the customers responsibility to ensure they are on the correct product.

Even in this situation, you are still entited to one free downgrade (a downgrade is usually when you will pay less each month) so yu should not have to pay £15 to move to the telworker upto 8MB @ £54.99 Inc VAT/month.

Also I don't believe this product is entitled to any refunds as I indicated earlier as you were on one of the old products, not on one of the new ones at a higher speed/price.

Finally, as the 8MB ADSL sppeds are unlikely to appear before April 2006, I would seriously consider moving to the teleworker upto 2Mb product and save even more per month, then when BT release the higher speeds, you can upgrade (at a fee of £14.99+VAT probably) which you would have saved in afew months by being on the lower priced product anyway. There is also no guarantee your line will actually go faster than 2MB anyway so you may have been paying more for a service you could never have got. Currently the only difference between the different speed products, is the UP allowances that apply to it.
Community Veteran

PlusNet overcharging me

FYI all teleworker accounts have a BT 50:1 contention ratio not 20:1. The 20:1 contention is within the PlusNet network and is not the same as the homeworker pro which had a BT contention ration of 20:1.

This is why the teleworker products are cheaper than the oiginal homeworker pro products, because they are actually equivelent to the original homeworker products which were provisioned on 50:1.

So if you do change to teleworker up to 8Mbs, your contention will be changed from BT 20:1 to BT 50:1 which I suspect is not what you want.

The only busines products that offer a BT 20:1 contention is the Broadband Business premier product. See http://www.plus.net/business/broadband/business_features.shtml and broadband business premier up to 8MB product costs £64.99 + VAT, the same I beleive as what you have now.

You have to understand the difference between the BT exchange contention and the PlusNet internal network contention as they mean different things: See http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/contention_guide.shtml
Sproglet
Grafter

PlusNet overcharging me

The difference with the business account and the account laras is currently on is there is a better contention within the plusnet network.

I know of a couple of users who switched to the Business up to 2Mb account as they only had 2Mbit anyway at the exchange and save themselves a fortune (no regrade fee)

The regradee fee of 14.99 is to change the contention of the product at the exchange as the old teleworker pro account has 20:1 at the exchange and the current incarnation has 50:1 at the exchange.
JonathanW
Grafter

PlusNet overcharging me

I don't want to change service I just want to pay the correct amount.
I have a 20:1 contention ratio, unlimited(ish), up to 8Mb service which was / is called "Plus.Net HomeWorker Pro - Up to 8Mb".
As far as I can tell from the plus net web site this is now called "Teleworker Premier up to 8Mb" .

Hi,

These aren't actually the same account. As the Homeworker Pro accounts are provided on a 20:1 BT contention line, where as the Teleworker packages are supplied on a 50:1 BT line, which is where the downgrade fee is coming from, as actual work is required from BT in order to change the line from 20:1 to 50:1
N/A

PlusNet overcharging me

So is there no package that I can move to that will not incur a fee?
Peter was of the opinion that I should get a free regrade.

I can't believe that plus net are willing to loose my custom for the sake of £14.99. I image that they have an ulterior motive as I am a heavy user.
prichardson
Grafter

PlusNet overcharging me

Hi,

This isn't a issue over heavy use.

The £14.99 required here is for 3rd party costs and not because we feel like charging customers on a whim. These costs have been around as long as PlusNet have been supplying broadband.

The free downgrades offered to customers, only applied to the downgrade fee applied by PlusNet. A regrade is not a downgrade fee. Downgrades under the offer only applied when moving to another product within the same family, ie, a Teleworker product..

Kind Regards,