cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet first ISP to peer at 10Gbps with LoNAP

LiamM
Grafter

Further proof of Plusnets dedication to suport, network capacity and reliability.

From http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2159 :
A service provider is only as good as its data connectivity between other service providers and the rest of the world. LoNAP is a London based Internet Exchange Point, and they have just started to offer ISPs the option of a 10 Gigabit per second connection (10 Gbps). To give an idea of how fast this is, a complete single sided DVD could be transferred in around 3.5 seconds.

PlusNet is the first ISP to take up this peering option at 10Gbps, though with the increasing speed of connections and take up of broadband in the UK one would expect the number of providers to increase rapidly. Normally service providers interconnect at around 100Mbps, or the more common option of 1Gbps or multiples of this.

More details on LoNAP can be found on their website http://www.lonap.net/.

If this is what the FUP has allowed Plusnet to invest in, further capacity and reliability for the majority of it's users (unaffected by the FUP). Then I for one support it all the way.

Well done Plusnet!

EDIT : On another note. Nice to see Plusnet reclaim their place amongst the top 5 of the ADSLGuide Speedtest Leader Board.
13 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

It certainly is big news, and somehting we are very happy about.

Regards,

Rich
LiamM
Grafter

When is the expansion likely to be complete then, Rich? Or is it just a case of pressing some buttons and wham!
N/A

As far as i'm aware it went live yesterday Liam.

Regards,

Rich
N/A

But only for the London area again, is that the only place in England?
LiamM
Grafter

I think you've misunderstood. This will be of benefit to everybody.

It means basically that Plusnet have a much faster link a network of Service Providers etc... The fact that this link terminates in London makes no difference, everybody using Plusnet will benefit.

I'm finding it unusually hard to explain, but in essence it means a lot more capacity to any other site / service provider using the network, and more capacity accessing sites / services hosted by them.

For example, it means much more capacity between Plusnet and other ISPs / Service Providers which means more capacity on the network.

Someone help me out? Cheers.
N/A

TO lift directly from our press release (I couldn't write it better myself)

Internet exchanges allow Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to exchange data directly with each other, reducing the number of networks that data must pass through to reach its destination, and therefore increasing the speed and reliability of service provided to clients with lower costs of operation.

Regards,

Rich
N/A

in laymans talk:

if youve got an isp with (for ease of arguements) 10 customers, each with 1 meg connections, but the isp only has a modem connection to other ISPS, unless u are browsing sites hosted by your ISP or its other customers, you arent gonna get 1meg, your gonna get 56k...

if the isp had a 5meg connection to the other isps, as long as only half of the customers are using all their bandwith then youll get 1 meg - but as soon as more people start using it, itll start slowing down for everyone...

so - an isp being connected to other isps with a very big fat pipe is important, especially as dsl gets faster and the uptake continues to grow.

people whove been around a while on the net may remember when everyone and their dad had an isp, and they were always underconnected - 1 isp, 20 customers on 33k modems, and not ONE customer got a full 33k download because the isp only had 128k isdn or similar.
Community Veteran

Is having a single 10GB pipe cheapr than having 10 x 1GB pipes?

This should help PN keep up/beat the opposition in relation to pricing too - the futures bright, the futures orange (and purple Wink ).
N/A

lol, i like it, also the futures green too, with envy from other ISPs Tongue
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

When is the expansion likely to be complete then, Rich? Or is it just a case of pressing some buttons and wham!

Tuesday 15th March Cheesy
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1110910606.htm

Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Firejack
Grafter

Re: PlusNet first ISP to peer at 10Gbps with LoNAP

EDIT : On another note. Nice to see Plusnet reclaim their place amongst the top 5 of the ADSLGuide Speedtest Leader Board.
Can't wait to do my April speed test. I think we can safely say Plusnet will be number one with all our new super fast connections :twisted:
N/A

Can't wait to do my April speed test. I think we can safely say Plusnet will be number one with all our new super fast connections icon_twisted.gif

One problem with that Wink Adslguide judge there speed tests soley off 512/576k connections, april regrade will have them 'rid' so to speak, basically meaning they gonna have to rethink there speed test's Smiley
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I think the people at ADSLGuide are looking into the future of the speed test league table. I don't think it'll be around in the same format for much longer.