cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet - diabolical customer service

N/A

PlusNet are currently involved in an on-going move of my DSL.

They have taken almost five weeks to complete something they said they could do in six days.

They have managed to completely mess it up in almost every conceivable way.

The following is just one message I have received from the incompetents in their support department...

"CSC Agent 4:37pm, Tuesday 6th June 2006
Dear Mr Godden,
Returing this ticket for you advice on if the service is apparent at your side.

Regards,
XXXX XXXX

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html"

I cannot possibly express here the depths of my contempt for this company or their support staff.

I have never experienced such a catalogue of ineptitude and plain inability to do a job they are being paid to do.

PATHETIC.
26 REPLIES
N/A

you do realise it's not actually plusnet how move your broadband?

all plusnet do is enter an order and send it off to BT.

it goes wrong very, very often.
N/A

Diabolical support

Check the Sale of Goods Act. My contract is with PlusNet, not BT. PlusNet should manage their suppliers in a more efficient manner and have contractual agreements which allow for emergency measures when completing a project and the project is running late.

I have worked as a small and large scale project manager for many years, and the kind of excuses peddled by PlusNet ("it's BT's fault not ours"), are nothing but wheedling excuses for shoddy project management and useless contractual negotiation.
N/A

They do have contractual agreements to cover situations like this...
4.3 PlusNet will use reasonable endeavours to provide the Service and/or deliver Equipment by the date agreed with the Customer, but all dates are estimates and PlusNet has no liability for any failure to meet any date.

N/A

fair enough, was just pointing it out.

to be fair it's the same for all uk ISPS, no one "manages " BT.

Sale of goods act is not much use here i'm afraid, check the t's and c's you signed upto, plusnet know this happens and provide for it in the t's and c's as do all uk ISPs.

i'm sure plusnet would love to make it all better but theres sweet FA they can do.

I realise that does not help you one bit though.

*edit, james types faster. but the point remains as angry as you are it's far from plusnets fault broadband house moves have always been a problem/
N/A

Diabolical service

I'm very aware that there is not a great deal I can do, but this comes down to my point about useless contractual negotiation.

Such contracts are often "off the shelf" standard agreements drawn up by corporate legal departments, or else, poorly negotiated by the smaller company (PlusNet in this case).

The end result is extremely shoddy customer service, with the customer-facing organisation in a no-win situation that they have put themselves into... which is exactly the current situation.

Of course, it doesn't help when your customer service agents can't string a coherent sentence together either.
N/A

i think you misunderstand the situation.

BT just sell ADSL, it's the same to any and all no negotiating comes into it.

No ADSL has an SLA from BT you seem to think they (or any ISP) have some kind of say in the matter.

BT wholesale can't even get house moves right for BT ISP customers!
N/A

At least we can all agree its lousy, although I suspect that in the drafting of agreements there is little input from any ISP. AFAIK Ofcom watches all negotiations and contracts with BTw closely to ensure fair play, particularly to ensure BT Retail don't get a smoother ride.

I believe that the products only exist as off the shelf packages for the various providors.

/Off for more digging

Edit: Now Richard wins the fast typing award. He confirmed my suspicions somewhat however.
N/A

Diabolical service

Yes, BT sell ADSL, they also stipulate response times and provision timescales in their purchasing and service agreements. They have to, you can't sell a service and say "that's fine, you give me the money, you can have the service in six weeks." Then provide it in ten months.

Well, actually they can, and do. However, it's up to the purchaser to negotiate a better agreement... which is also possible, but rarely done, because BT are so big and try and have an expensive legal department.

In my last job, BT were so late with providing the leased line we had bought and paid for, the fines which we had built into the contract for late service provision, not only paid for the entire project, but ended up making a far bigger profit on the project than we had ever hoped to make in the first place.

The moral of this story - know the law, negotiate your own agreement, even when the other side says they won't negotiate.
N/A

Wouldn't a leased line be ordered and purchased via BT retail?
xon
Grafter

Re: Diabolical service

The moral of this story - know the law, negotiate your own agreement, even when the other side says they won't negotiate.

Need anyone say anymore? Cheesy
N/A

leased line *have* SLA's though, thats half the point of them.

ADSL doesn't and BT simply don't care.

like I said it's not open to negotiation, who else would plusnet go with? they have no choice if they want to be able to provide to the whole UK

what happens wiht leased lines is not relevant at all ADSL is ADSL not a leased line and ADSL has no service level agreement whatsoever and thats nothing to do with plusnet, plusnet legal team or plusnets negotiating skills!

It's simple really, they either get ADSL or the don't, theres no middle ground or room for bartering.

I appreciate what your saying but the reality of the situation is thats just not possible.

"hello we'd like to negotiate please"

"do you want to buy broadband"

"yes but...."

"tough, call us back when you're ready to pay. bye"

Do you stand at a supermarket till and haggle with the till person? Do you go in and steal a loaf of bread from tesco simply because the were out of stock of that brand when you went in the week before?

same principle, it's not possible to "negotiate an agreement" in all things or with all companies.
N/A

Re: Diabolical service

Yes, BT sell ADSL, they also stipulate response times and provision timescales in their purchasing and service agreements. They have to, you can't sell a service and say "that's fine, you give me the money, you can have the service in six weeks." Then provide it in ten months.

Well, actually they can, and do. However, it's up to the purchaser to negotiate a better agreement... which is also possible, but rarely done, because BT are so big and try and have an expensive legal department.

In my last job, BT were so late with providing the leased line we had bought and paid for, the fines which we had built into the contract for late service provision, not only paid for the entire project, but ended up making a far bigger profit on the project than we had ever hoped to make in the first place.

So they were still late then?
N/A

:lol:

exactly, despite your negotiations BT still missed a deadline, you'd paid thousands of pounds part of which bought you an SLA.

ISPs pay £7 a month for an ADSL port at the exchange which funnily enough does not.
FooAtari
Grafter

Looks like you have shot down pdgodden Wink