cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet are not the only ISP to clamp down on heavy users!

N/A

See link below:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/02/tiscali_fup/

Tiscali are introduceing a FUP, 3 strikes and you out.

It is becoming clear, we must pay for what we get, no matter which ISP we use, and the PlusNet limits look a lot better than these. But ISP will have to increase limits as the average user starts to make use of emerging technologies such as video on demand, BBC TV archives etc.

At present the most I have downloaded in a month is around 10GB, but with teenagers and now two PC's in the house using the broadband connection, I can only see this increasing, Thus ISP's & BT will need to start developing the infastructure to allow increased downloads, (we may have to pay more) especially with increased download speeds, better quality, full screen video will be available.

Finally I am very happy with PlusNet Cheesy , but can fully understand many of the reasons behind a lot of the recent negative posts by others. (I am sure some of it may be folks perception, but usually there is no smoke with out fire.) PlusNet need to work on this befor it spiros out of control.

All the best.

Cheers
David
10 REPLIES
N/A

Interesting... that ISPs finally start to understand the reality of P2P and heavvy users. Perhaps +Net should reinvestigate FUP but also note that this ISP consulted with its customers and the ASA before bringing in FUP.
Alecto
Grafter

But Plusnet consulted with its customers too before bringing in the FUP.

OK, so it didn't consult before dropping it, but.................. Tongue
Metalguru
Grafter

FUP went

Traffic Shaping arrived

Consistant level of consultation
N/A

Have a friend on Tiscali dont we all! They have treated her like rubbish over their FUP business. Five years ago I was on tiscali books as a 56k user and never again after their admin could not sort a simple problem regarding connection.

Since then either been a F9 or PN customer. I had a similar problem with F9/PN I e mailed and the response was fast and actually sorted my problem out (this was a new experience for me after a year on Tiscali books). I am happy with service rarely have my moans (except when FUP was annouced here).

I wont be migrating soon.

Keep up the good work PN
N/A

I certainly was not suggesting folks went to Tisaclia, far from it, what I was saying PlusNet are not the only ISP who are managing their network, and as far as I can see they are doing a better job. As mentioned on my original post, I am happy with PlusNet Cheesy, plus I was saying folks in the future will be looking for increased download limits as technology and products develop, thus PlusNet and other will have to increase folks limits.

Cheers
David
N/A

You get what you pay for. I've decide to leave for Zen and pay more for my service because they don't try and cut prices at the expense of service. I know what I want and I'm prepared to pay for it. Simple.
N/A

going to be interesting that Bethere are offering speeds up to 24mbit and 1mbit upload and there is no download cap Shocked , fastest speed one of their customers has got so far is 18.5 mbit Shocked
N/A

https://www.bethere.co.uk/beonline/generalFaq.do#faq9

Call centres and technical help all based in India. On that basis alone they wouldn't get my business. Sorry, but I don't want a cheap ISP on the back of people losing their jobs here.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Quote removed as it was just a full copy of the preceding post and served no purpose.
N/A

Add

Fast4
Pipex
NTL

to the list of ISP's taking action.

Despite the moans and groans here I think Pipex's initial method of strangling connections without prior warning and with no chance of it being having it removed was the worst implementation.

I did leave Pipex but my account wasn't one of the ones affected - it just prompted me to look for a better deal.

One of the affects of the mass upgrade is that has increased the number of people with higher speed connections (= more bandwidth requirement) without increasing revenues. This clearly puts more pressure on the ISP's.

Traffic management, caps and possibly idle timeouts (if Plusnet implement them and make them work) will become more common. The economics of the BTw ADSL provision dictate that.

Anyone who thinks they can have a leased line performance at £15 per month is living in cloud cuckoo land
N/A

Interesting... that ISPs finally start to understand the reality of P2P and heavvy users. Perhaps +Net should reinvestigate FUP

Tiscali's FUP is very different to PNs.

With PN you were allocated a maximum amount of bandwidth, which you could not exceed 3 months in a row.

Tiscali are simply preventing heavy users affecting other users at peak times.

PN are actually doing something similar at the moment, having contacted the heavy downloaders and given them an altimatum: ammend your ways or be much more heavily contended.

The latter is rather heavy handed and almost certain to cause the affected customer to migrate. Problem solved for PN.

OTOH what might be preferrable is if could PN could (optionally) regrade customers accounts so they cannot affect other users at peak times by limiting their speeds to say a 256k line. As a heavy user I would not be adverse to this.

This would solve the need to punish customers by placing them on heavily contended lines, is as a less aggreessive solution, and would alienlate fewer customers (hopefully).