cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet and customer support staff

N/A

i must say these forums have proved great entertainment over the past few weeks. while i wouldnt take glee in any problems customers have because i understand it can be infuriating when glitches happen, some of the posts and responses from moderators have been comical in bothe extremes. to the point, i think some people have lost track of whats really happening.

Nearly everyone is receiving a FREE upgrade to whatever speed their line can support, this is being done automatically which some may argue is wrong. Yet many other ISPS are charging a regrade fee, or are only doint the transfer if the customer requests it (and if they dont know about it they will not benefit).

I think the fact plusnet has informed us as cutomers from the off was commendable, the fact we are all receiving a FREE upgrade is fantastic, and yes it may take a while to contact the cs team but this is a major overhall, where some members are being over zealous on scheduled delivery dates.

I was transferred over recently, my line was 2mb and since the regrade the max sync is only 3600 and im only receiving 2.3mb on various speed tests. Am i bothered, no not really, am i going to raise a ticket nope because i have got 300kb free for doing nothing. while it may not be 8mb im limited by my exchange so no point in moaning. My line has not disconnected since the regrade, and all seems to have gone smoothly.

as for the traffic management, i do download heavily, so if i get throttled then fair enough nothing is that urgent it cant wait.

as for people leaving plusnet to prove a point and stating so here on the forum, who cares, for every person who leaves im sure 100's get recommened, and if they think the new providers wont manage there traffic in the future they will be mistaken.

We are all painted a glossy picture of lines delivered upto 100mb in the future, digital streaming, dvds in seconds etc, but we are not there yet, anyone with common sense will know that the network is not in place to handle this yet, so the current network needs to be managed to allow a pleasent experience for all, and plusnet are ahead of the game. by the time its settled down we wont notice much difference while all the over isps will be just starting with their woes. until a new infastructure is implemented.

for those who are just being upgraded, be patient, 10 days for the line to settle down is no time and just remember you will still be ahead of the game unlike members on other isps.

i repair many pc's for people, and many queries are about new broadband connections, aol, bt, wannadoo all the regular providers and the troubles they have from day 1 are echoed all to frequently. but never from a plusnet customer, I have had 3 good yrs and 1 move and all went smoothly. i have interacted via phone and ticket system all rectified swiftly, i have reccommended many people and will continue to do so.

So i end my message by saying a big thanks to the CS teams and Mods who have taken much unwarranted stick
12 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Firstly thanks for the thanks as a mod Smiley

I echo most of what you've said there. At the end of the day it's an internet connection - some people seem to get so emotional about it.

What you say about other ISPs couldn't be explained any better. They're all having the same problems. Where Plusnet have lead the way, others are following. Every ISP is facing the same dilemma and they either allow their networks to overload, or apply traffic management. They simply wont be able to sustain service as a costs the consumer can afford these days - and with usage on the up - the problem is only goin to get worse for the ISP that doesn't know how to handle it.

I believe the forums are a very valuable asset to Plusnet and I'm proud to be a part of them. They're a superb resource for customers in my opinion and we should all just get along and be thankful for the resources and community we have available to us in my opinion.
N/A

I had two good and a half very good years. I have just left (well I am in the process of). I agree with many of the points you make, however I felt what forced my hand was the throttling.

I am an adult, as we all are. If I exceed my usage, I expect to be throttled/ have my service suspended. I do not expect to be throttled at any point before this time. If I have 15GB bandwidth at peak times, then I don't expect to be throttled after 2/3 usage of this. I do not need to me managed, I can manage my account myself. This, and the CSC agents who need retraining is the reason I am leaving.

I agree some people get far too emotional about certain things, most notably these regrades etc. Instead of moaning, vote with your wallet and feet - we have a choice and we can leave or stay if we want to.
N/A

Hey martinfamily no worries Cheesy (waits for onslaught of being called a brown noser lol)

cdsjsmith in deed i do understand why some people feel the throttling is taking control away from the user, but unfortunately in modern times, a minority (although i presume on the increase) wont monitor their usage because they dont care. we all know the internet is the greatest invention where possibilites are endless, but in these days files are GB not Mb. the internet has surpassed the technology that delivers it, a victim of its own success i guess.

So when everyone received 2mb lines, most people including myself, revelled in the fact that downloads that where previosuly unattanable except via cd could be downloaded in a flash, and usage catapulted. Now the fact the lines are 4 times faster, previous files such as dvds etc can be downloaded by the majority of people and not just the dedicated few.

So the answer has to be some kind of control and traffic management is that, and affects mainly those who use p2p (yuk) or news servers. WHile people like me and you and many others can monitor our usage and apply our own controls, there are just to many selfish people who would quite happily leave theire pcs downloading 24/7.

Now if there was no management and 30 percent of users done this, how would we feel if trying to open a single web page took ages? Most people just surf and check emails, and i believe the traffics managment protects these users from a bad experience imposed by extremely selfish users. Users like us just have to accept that when we download we are free to do so upto our limit, but least we know we can still get a satisfactory speed when we just want to surf. If we have to wait so be it, all isps will be heading down this route, that is unless people are prepared to pay 40 or 50 pounds a month, Everyone moaned when we had to pay £39 for a 512kb saying we were ripped off, well now we can get higher speeds for less than a half, but something had to give. Are we a victim of our own cause?
N/A

i thought about mentioning the username there but we'll let it slide Tongue Wink
N/A

i thought about mentioning the username there but we'll let it slide Tongue Wink

lol trust me best left alone lol Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
N/A

Wink Smiley
N/A

Re: PlusNet and customer support staff

i must say these forums have proved great entertainment over the past few weeks.

Well I'm THRILLED that I and my pants service has been of some "use" in entertaining you. I mean, just how funny it must be for someone to have had a continually CRAP service for over 2 yrs (having been with PN for many, many more yrs than that - and I would imagine more than "the entertained") and have finally had enough - oh and the sheer audacity to ask that PlusNet maybe look at the issue as I continue to pay them every month for a service I do not, and very rarely ever have, receive(d). In fact I'm nearly splitting my sides, NOT :x

These FREE upgrades etc. you are rattling on about aren't much use to me, are they? To be any use the BASIC service has to work in the first place :-( I think getting the basics right, working, and in place (such as a responsive customer service section, tough with the total muppets at BT etc.) are just as, if not more important than the stuff you are on about. Great if you have a proper and working service, totally pointless if you don't.

So, I end *my* message by saying don't be so patronising for starters. Then [try and] realise that not everyone is happy and getting value for money from PlusNet and that, TBH, some customers are getting ripped of on a continual basis and all they want is some decent customer service, and THE TRUTH.

Oh, and finally I'll bet none of the "fine upstanding mods" you talk about would a) be mods, or b) talk in such glowing terms about Plusnet if they'd had the pants service I have had - remember every story has TWO sides to it?
N/A

Re: PlusNet and customer support staff

in deed a fine point in hand, you take a quote from my text which suits your argument yet fail to quote the following line which states peoples problems like yourselves arent amusing let me see where is it, as you obviously scan read my comment

"i must say these forums have proved great entertainment over the past few weeks. while i wouldnt take glee in any problems customers have because i understand it can be infuriating when glitches happen" was the full text if you missed it the first time.

anyway, i appreciate receiving bad service is never good but then you state you have had poor service for over 2 years, so my question to you is if they were that bad how come you stayed with them? after a year surely you would leave if it was that bad.

and yes again your comment is right there are two sides to every story and seeing that if you browse the index all comments relate to a problem that select ppl are experiencing which are regretable but probably in the scehme of things relates to a minor percentage of customers, so i did exactly what your last comment stated and provided the other side of the coin.
N/A

Where Plusnet have lead the way, others are following. Every ISP is facing the same dilemma and they either allow their networks to overload, or apply traffic management. They simply wont be able to sustain service as a costs the consumer can afford these days - and with usage on the up - the problem is only goin to get worse for the ISP that doesn't know how to handle it.[/quote]

A N Other ISP allows the option to buy more bandwidth once the allowance is used.

Now that seems to be a fair policy that does not cost the ISP anything. Will PN follow or do they still maintain they lead the way. Oh, and they allow carry over.

'nuff said but PN have lead me elsewhere.

I will say the provision of PN broadband was excellent until the last couple of months when speeds dropped dramatically and no, I was never throttled for usage.
N/A

The "reason" oh "experienced PC and tele-comms expert" - and yes I can be patronising to - I have stayed is because;

a) I have been with PN for a bl00dy long time and in the past the service has been fine and matched my requirements
b) The problem is quite obviously a "muppet", whoops sorry a BT issue (but because PlusNet have to involve BT and there's some work and cost involved they don't really want to go that far if they can "manage" the situation in-house, i.e. blag their way through it) and therefore *my* problem would just move with me.

Now, seeing as you are the intelligent type and can see where I am coming from, what would be the point in moving to any other ISP when the problem is with BT (i.e. they claim they have performed a C&R)? Surely I would take that problem with me? So why not, like I am, either sort the problem out once and for all, *OR* get somone to admit that ADSL in our area *IS NOT* available (thereby costing BT, PlusNet and other ISP's money as people fall back onto cheaper services)

What with you being a pretty smart cookie, you'll now see where I'm coming from, yes? and that I have been hammering away - on and off -at Plusnet for 2+yrs to try and either get the service sorted or a "sorry sir, we can't provide ADSL in your area" type answer (which I would shout VERY loudly from the rooftops about just so that other unsuspecting fools don't contuinue to get fleeced). I am perfectly happy to accept a solution or a "you cannot have ADSL" type message - not bothered which one. I now work from home/remotely so I *need* an answer, but either will do. If the answer is "no ADSL" then I'll go to ISDN / whatever and ask Plusnet for my money back. If it works out technically, great.

However, I do demand one or the other, no more excuses, pants arguments or time-wasting - I have a lot of money tied up with being able to work from remote locations and I am not prepared to let it go any longer and I am also not interested in being "your entertainment" on a forum just because your situation is fine. Ok?
N/A

Can I ask why you chose the topic? It doesn't seem to relate to the content of your posts or the emotions behind it. As I'm sure you are aware, there are some real problem currently with many of the responses people have had from support staff and I can't help but thinking you were trying to tap in on this.

I agree that PlusNet have performed a lot of great work but for many of us they've been pushing things too far over recent months. I'm also not concerned over the fair usage caps or well implemented traffic shaping, infact I would welcome them. I also don't want the fastest connection on the planet, just a stable reliable one where issues are resolved promptly. I'm also well aware that all ISP's are having problems with MaxDSL. The problem many of us have is the way in which PlusNet have changed their way of communicating with customers and that their level of support has significantly deteriorated as they've grown, it just hasn't been able to keep up.

I'm not leaving to 'prove a point' but simply because I don't want to pay for an inadequate service, which sadly is what this has become IMHO. I do believe that PlusNet can turn this around and get back to where they belong but don't like the idea of paying my way through even more of the rough waters ahead.
Community Veteran

This topic has gone far enough, people have point thier POVs across and it's only going to get more heated if left untouched. Sorry guys, but thread locked.

Chris