cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet admits VMBU is inaccurate

N/A

Below is from a ticket I have, where an agent from PlusNet admits that the new VMBU has been (if not still is) inaccurate, and reporting incorrectly. Amazingly, this came in the first reply of this particular ticket (although I did previously have a different ticket regarding questionable VMBU stats).
11:53am, Wednesday 12th July 2006
I turned off my router at 11.45pm on Friday 7 July, was away from early Saturday morning returning home on Sunday evening after 7pm. No one else was here to use the connection, the modem was off (including at the wall), this account does not have a static IP.

If this new VMBU is so accurate, as Plusnet like to say, why is there usage recorded on my account for last Saturday (8 July)? There should be 0 recorded, not even any "background" usage as the modem was off.

9:48pm, Friday 14th July 2006
Dear My Name,
We were aware of an issue where customers had data transfer wrongly allocated to their account. We now believe that this issue has been resolved and apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.
If you have any further issues regarding this please advise us by response to this query.

Regards,
Agents Name

Reporting issues on PlusNet's overall system is also referred to here, and as questioned there - if their graph for overall usage reports incorrectly, then VMBU most likely would as well.
141 REPLIES
Community Veteran

PN have stated the VMBU for some people is not accurate for months, this is nothing new. Just see many of the service status announcements over the past few months.
N/A

PN have stated the VMBU for some people is not accurate for months, this is nothing new.

Inaccurate VMBU data (Ref 32779) was reported as fully resolved on 29 June at 16:10. This was taken from the service status announcements.

The inaccurate data on my VMBU happened on 8 July.

Either this issue is new (AGAIN), or PlusNet are wrong in saying inaccurate VMBU data is resolved.
N/A

... or PlusNet are wrong in saying inaccurate VMBU data is resolved.

I would agree that there is a certain amount of inaccurate usage that counts toward the PlusNet customers dis-advantage.
N/A

I recently reported a fault with my VBMU as it had grossly mis-reported my useage by over 1.5gig in a month!

After much back and forthing with Plusnet (who admitted they were at fault and said they'd re-set my month's useage and then instead just waited it out until my new monthly period began :roll: ) I was told that the VBMU issue had been resolved and they "belived" it was now reporting correctly.

Rightly suspicious I have just checked my useage so far with the new VMBU against the old more accurate one and it STILL is mis-reporting, and not by just a few mb either :x

15/07/06 -
New: 736.87
Old: 709.58

I have already stated to PN that unless my useage is reported correctly from now on (as I have now been assured by them it should be in wriitng) I will be reporting this bad practise to Oftcom.

As PN work on a useage capacity (and penalise members that go over this) they should ensure this is 100% accurate...
N/A

As PN work on a useage capacity (and penalise members that go over this) they should ensure this is 100% accurate...

PlusNet openly admit that VMBU is not accurate for the times. How can a product be fairly sold that has a strong basis on the times you use it, but the usage cannot be tracked accurately?

People on PAYG get hit the worst with this as they might have to pay for more usage when it should be recorded during the "free time" for them, but other people get hit too as they get "encouraged" to upgrade and pay more.

If VMBU does not report accurately for the times bandwith is used, then VMBU is not reporting accurately. It's as simple as that. The issues of incorrect reporting have therefore not been resolved, and people could have their accounts wrongly "managed", or worse people could be wrongly charged extra.

There are, of course, also many people on this forum who also believe that VMBU is reporting incorrect amounts over all for their usage.
Huaraz
Dabbler

I had reported issues last months and PN said their data is correct, despite me being personally in front of the computer at 00:15 doing transfers of 1.GB and more. They said I have no proof that I was sitting at my computer. At the end it was counted for the day before in the payable time.

When I complained PN pointed me at the data protection act to pay £10 to see their data. I have a 4GB free usage and have to pay for everything above and I am quite upset about PNs behaviour.

Did anybody get money back from PN for their wrong usage stats ?

Thanks
Markus
lingbob
Grafter

Did anybody get money back from PN for their wrong usage stats ?

I was ripped off for 500Mb of "Free" usage but I never got anything back :x
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

VMBU should really just be used as a guide, it can't be 100% accurate to the minute for every single customer. For most people it'll balance out over the course of a month. Errors can crop up because of how the data is generated (in batches every 30 minutes) so for some people free usage one day will start a few minutes before midnight and the next a few minutes after simply because it doesn't split the data down into less than 30 minute periods.
lingbob
Grafter

How very interesting.

How does all this affect customer billing and account management ?
lingbob
Grafter

When I complained PN pointed me at the data protection act to pay £10 to see their data.

I wonder if this applies when PlusNet request to see customers' own data Cool
N/A

Can someone comfirm whether the free usage for PAYG is from midnight to 8am or is it from 12:30am to 07:30am with a possibility of free usage between 12:00 to 12:30 and 07:30 to 08:00.
lingbob
Grafter

I'm not a PlusNet employee so I'm not in a position to either confirm or deny this but if you have a look here, and where it says "Please select your product", select "Broadband PAYG" from the drop-down menu. I think what it says there is just about cut 'n dried Wink
Huaraz
Dabbler

VMBU should really just be used as a guide, it can't be 100% accurate to the minute for every single customer. For most people it'll balance out over the course of a month. Errors can crop up because of how the data is generated (in batches every 30 minutes) so for some people free usage one day will start a few minutes before midnight and the next a few minutes after simply because it doesn't split the data down into less than 30 minute periods.

I would be OK if that would have been explained to me, instead of saying our PlusNet data are correct and tell me to proof that I am right. On the other hand I don't think it balances out. If I start always at 00:15 I will get half the time a correct value and half the time I pay too much.

Markus
N/A

... On the other hand I don't think it balances out. If I start always at 00:15 I will get half the time a correct value and half the time I pay too much.
Markus

I agree; the VMBU tool should be accurate to the second if that is how it is adverstised...

I would imagine that the simplest method would be either to change the wording in the above link - this would expose PlusNet once more as an isp who are tottering on the edge of oblivion, alternatively hire an expert to sort out the VMBU tool in much the same way as PlusNet have had to resort to (allegedly) hiring at great expense ( speculation?), a data recovery expert to recover the lost data on the PlusNet Email servers; lost because of incompetence...

Fixing the VMBU tool would obviate the need for that...