Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet Warns Heavy ADSL Users

Metalguru
Grafter

I spotted this today :-

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/cgi-bin/news/viewnews.cgi?id=EEkFVlAkFFPjaVZcFC

I thought with the arrival of BB+ , all the arguments about excessive usage / capping / bad boyz pipe etc had ended.

Maybe not !

Has anyone on BB+ received such a letter ?
92 REPLIES
clatz
Grafter

As a 2mb user who uses around 5Gb a month bandwidth I would love to be put on to the Bad Boyz pipe and get a throughput in the evenings of 67kbps.

That is a bloody site better than I am getting at the moment :twisted:
N/A

All I can I say some users do use that amount and their are probably packages designed to accomodate them elsewhere.

But, on the other hand 100GB+ per month, that must require some serious storage! Cheesy
Alecto
Grafter

You're a few days late with it. Tongue

The customers concerned are on premier whose traffic is hardly shaped at all.
On BB Plus, they simply slow you down if they think they need to, so you can't overuse it.
Community Veteran

So are AG
hitachi
Grafter

But, on the other hand 100GB+ per month, that must require some serious storage! Cheesy

There is a chap on adslguide who shifts 600gb a month complaining about being told to cut back.
N/A

All I can I say some users do use that amount and their are probably packages designed to accomodate them elsewhere.

Depends, download some movie trailers, demo software etc, few linux iso's, software updates for MS/AV/Firewall etc, upload to your website, exchange a few large emails or access the work's intranet via VPN and you've easily got 100GB with not of all it being stored longer than it takes to watch/install/test/delete... amazing how quickly 100GB clocks around.
N/A

Indeed it is easy.... I have managed 34GB in a month and hardly used the PC as just moved house! I am pretty sure I will top 100GB every month.........

Streamimng radio with video uses plenty of bandwidth up. A few microsoft downloads to keep things up to date, a few downloads of linux and trial/demo/shareware software and then some gaming - 100GB gone just like that!
N/A

Smiley

well i play games nearly 6 hours a day weekdays and 12 hours weekend.. downloads loads of stuff i need etc and listen to online radio and dont normal even make 20gb on that
craigbrass
Grafter

When 8mb comes out, I assume the *acceptable* will rise to 500GB or so i read.
N/A

plusnet liars!!!!

before i joined plusnet i asked 3 questions, and one of them was "is there a limit to uploading/downloading" and the reply was "no limit at all" so i joined thinking a company as big as this would not lie just to get customers, how wrong was i!!! here is the email i was sent....

Here at PlusNet we’re committed to providing a quality Internet service at a great-value price. It is only through careful management of our network that we are able to provide excellent service at great value for all our customers.

For this to be possible, all customers need to understand that broadband is a contended service. This means being aware that consistently using extremely high amounts of data transfer has a negative effect on all our other customers.

It has been previously stated that customers regularly using in excess of 100GB per month are using the service in an unsustainable manner.

It has to come to our attention that your connection has consistently been used in excess of 150GB per month, mainly during peak times. We consider this to be unsustainable, and the combined impact of unreasonable usage affects all our other customers. You can view your usage at http://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage/ . You can also see peak times at http://portal.plus.net/support/adsl/adsl_utilisation.shtml .

In order to protect the broadband platform and maintain the experience for all our customers, we are taking steps to reduce the impact of unsustainable usage customers.

During the next 14 days you must revise your usage patterns and use less than 50GB of data transfer, to equate to an average of less than 100GB per month. This is measured as a combined total of upstream and downstream traffic. We will monitor your usage throughout this period to see if there is any alteration in the way you use the service.

If you continue to use your service unsustainably we will apply a managed usage profile to your connection and will strictly apply a 30:1 PlusNet contention ratio. For a 2Mb customer this could result in a throughput of around 67Kbps. This will result in your current unsustainable usage not adversely affecting our other customers and the broadband network.

If you choose to change your usage patterns and use the service more reasonably, there will be no change to your service. However, we will continue to monitor your usage and we will immediately apply the managed usage profile to your connection if your usage returns to unsustainable levels.

Should you wish to cancel your service or request your MAC Key as a result of receiving this email, we will waive any outstanding contract rental charges. However, if you have any deferred hardware, migration or activation payments, these must be paid in full.

We are taking this action to protect the quality of service for all of our other customers. Please see clause 11.2 of our Terms and Conditions for details – http://portal.plus.net/info2/legal/ .

To ensure the level of service we offer to all our customers remains consistently high, we will be monitoring usage on a monthly basis and contacting customers, such as you, who are negatively impacting the service of others.

Kind Regards,
Customer Support

we are a family of 4 people in this house,
the internet is on constantly, streaming video, email, ebay, archiving, uploading web site, downloading, updating, homework, shopping, buying, selling, and a whole lot more, but that is what i paid for, "unlimited" ok i have had my moan, now i am waiting for my ticket to get around so they can lie to me a little more, just beware, it is only a matter of time before it is 80mg then 50mg then what? they are cherry picking, anyone that wants to do what they have rightly paid for will be kicked out! you have been warned.
Community Veteran

But you wont be kicked out, your rate will be limited to 30:1 at PlusNet's end and 50:1 at BTs end that you signed up for.

Chris
N/A

It as good as being kicked out if you are limited to what will be a 67K (512) speed.

Sorry if PN what to put limits on they should do it for new customers only.

I joined PN on the basis of UNCAPPED usage. If PN do not supply this they should be upfront and put these limits on the product specification page for new customers too.
Community Veteran

You are a relativly new customer, PlusNet went through a process of limiting some heavy users during ast year, some of those were sold unlimited accounts, your account was not sold as unlimited and the terms and conditions do say they can take action to limit users who impact the service, you will find that most ISPs will take similar action. You haven't been sold a capped service nor are you getting a cap, your getting a contented service which is what you signed up for.

Chris
N/A

I appear to disagree with you.
The product was advertised as uncapped\unlimited.
If there are caps in place (surely saying a maximum of 150GB is a cap?).

Personally I would say that under 250GB is fair usage and certainly not an indication of 24/7 activity on a 2MB line that should be providing 200K/s.

Also I purchased the product as "clean" and yet we are now told traffic is shaped.

Imagine using P2P - downloading a 4GB ISo file (say a linux release) the traffic for this one file will be about 10GB, given that in aid for P2P to work effectively you need to upload as much (if not more) than you download.