cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet Speed Test

N/A

PlusNet Speed Test

I've used the PlusNet Speed Test tool at intervals and always got +/- 1000kbps which seems OK - I'm a fair distance from the exchange.
Then, because I've experienced a 'connection outage' for +/1 half a day and now things are back to normal (without any action), I've been trying the Speed Test - on about 50% of the tries I get 0 and the other 50% the usual +/- 1000kbps (on 'retest'). Is the tool faulty or does this mean I'm actually also getting intermittent drop-outs (not noticeably!)?
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

PlusNet Speed Test

Disable your software firewall and try again. The speed test is especially affected by norton firewalls but othersd can also cause problems.

Make sure you don't use the https URL to access the speed test. This will try to encrypt/decrypt the data and thus report false / inconsisyant results.

PNs speedtest is known to be unreliable and aften reports 0. Try one of the alternatives like ADSLguide speedtest or BTO HTTP download test.
N/A

PlusNet Speed Test

Indeed, I just got 3.7 Mb/s using the ADSL Guide speed test and 335.5 kb/s on the PlusNet one, using the same machine (a Pentium'ish)!
Interestingly, using Pentium II machine I got 758.7 kb/s and a P4 gave 2599.5 kb/s with the PN test...

I might go and try the BT test with the P4, as I can't seem to get that one to report above about 1Mb/s.
N/A

PlusNet Speed Test

So, this morning, using the P4 machine (it's an 11 Mb/s wireless connection to the modem/router), I got:
Plusnet: 1.8 and 1.9 Mb/s
ADSL Guide: 2.9 and 2.9 Mb/s
BT: 3.2 Mb/s
N/A

Speed Tests

Thanks petervaughan for the alternative pointer to ADSLguide which I have now used (after downloading Sun's Java) but the PN speedtest sometimes works and sometimes doesn't so can't be firewall (Panda). Until recently all usages of the PN speedtest worked 100% of the time and gave +/- 1000 kbps. Recently I have had about 50% occasions it works and 50% it just reports 0. Tried ADSLguide which gives slightly slower (+/-935kbps) and also checks the upload (+/-242kbps). So the PN speedtest may be slightly 'out' - which doesn't seem to be critical (1000 or 935) BUT recently has started failing - apparently just failing to kick in. This morning I've just done a series of tests:
PN=1000 / 0 / 1000 / 0 / 0 / 0 / ADSL=935 / PN=0 / 1000 / 1000 / 1000
then followed by a whole set of PN=1000 and ADSL=935
(1000 means any number from about 1020 to 1040)
At all times the router lights were ADSL=on / Data=flashing
Except when the PN test failed ADSL=ON / Data = solid
All this seems to say there IS a problem with the PN speedtest not 'starting' on some occasions - and then reporting 0 - when it isn't like that at all.
How does this 'possible fault' message ever get reported to PN so someone actually does something about it?