cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet P2P BB+

N/A

PlusNet P2P BB+

Hi,
I just spoke to a technical support rep on the phone.
I am going to clarify the following things.
BB+ P2P speeds: MAX 15kb/s MIN 0kb/s
PlusNet are not going to improve this.
Customer Meeting with PlusNet: We don't have info about this (dealt it will happen)
USENET: 15GB Full Speed is for Premier only.
They said they emailed everyone a change of terms and conditions stating that BB+ is not for P2P.
Refused to tell me why AOL can offer NO LIMIT downloading.
Could a PlusNet Comms Team member verify this once and for all for all of us!
Best Wishes,
33 REPLIES
Azagoth
Grafter

Re: PlusNet P2P BB+

They said they emailed everyone a change of terms and conditions stating that BB+ is not for P2P.

Well, I know they haven't emailed me concerning that! The first I knew about it was when I saw it posted here, on these forums, that the BB+ description/sign-up page had been changed to reflect the fact.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

PlusNet P2P BB+

Hi,

Broadband Plus isn't designed for high utilisation using things like P2P and binary newsgroups and never has been.

We don't block access to P2P or Usenet but do rate limit this type of traffic on Broadband Plus.

As for AOL, well isn't their 2Mbps service £29.99 per month?
N/A

PlusNet P2P BB+

Would be nice to get some form of respictible speed though, even if its just 30kbs or somthing. Not exactly going to kill your network.

I htink PN have fogotten that newsgroups are not just for downloading illegal files. They are a form of chat/forum, and 2kbs is simmply not enough even for downloading text.
Community Veteran

PlusNet P2P BB+

Text should be in silver anyhow :?
N/A

PlusNet P2P BB+

When I joined it never stated what it says now on Product Usage!
I rarely get 2kb/s on working torrents.
Please spare us at least 10kb/s and limit us to 5-10gb a month.
N/A

Re: PlusNet P2P BB+

can someone publish this email they sent? can't say i've seen it in my email box.....
N/A

PlusNet P2P BB+

I haven't received it either?
I bet no-one received it they said it to get me off the phone.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

PlusNet P2P BB+

I htink PN have fogotten that newsgroups are not just for downloading illegal files. They are a form of chat/forum, and 2kbs is simmply not enough even for downloading text.

Try using text.usenet.plus.net as the news server instead as that should give you better speeds as it doesn't carry the binary groups.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

PlusNet P2P BB+

I haven't received it either?
I bet no-one received it they said it to get me off the phone.

The T's & C's changes were mailed out at the end of August. I'll quote from those T's & C's which took effect for all customers on 16th September

6.3.2 Broadband Plus is not designed to sustain prolonged high-bandwidth, heavy-usage applications such as continuous Peer-to-Peer (P2P) file sharing, streaming video, binary downloads or other intensive uses.

This point has been in the T's & C's since we launched Broadband Plus earlier in the year.
N/A

PlusNet P2P BB+

Hmm so what is it for then, are we just suppoed to be looking around the internet lol. In which case it is VERY expensive compared to others.

When plusnet advertise shouldent they say when drumming up custom that "All you will be able to do is surf the net".

I really think it is time to move back to REAL Broadband.
Azagoth
Grafter

PlusNet P2P BB+

6.3.2 Broadband Plus is not designed to sustain prolonged high-bandwidth, heavy-usage applications such as continuous Peer-to-Peer (P2P) file sharing, streaming video, binary downloads or other intensive uses.

Which implies that BB+ can be used for short P2P sessions, for example just grabbing the odd mp3 every now and then.

Not even that's possible though, well not at 0.1k it isn't anyway. Over the past few months, I used to be able to grab a mp3 at 5k peak and 30k off-peak, now I'm lucky if it ever get's to 1k!
N/A

PlusNet P2P BB+

Yes thats what I am trying to say.
Now on BB+ on the Product usage page it says,
"Broadband Plus is not suitable for data-intensive applications such as file-sharing and large downloads."
When I signed up it said something to the sort of,
"Priority is given to HTTP, VoIP and gaming during peak hours. But P2P will still work"
Also when I signed up I was going to get BB Premier but a Tech Support rep said BB + was fine for the odd P2P download.
Finally PlusNet should give Premier users full speed at all times and BB+ users 10kb/s which is just over dial-up speeds during peak times and around 50-100kb/s when their network isn't busy. If you have a look at the BB + Graphs for Network Use it shows it is growing and more customers are going.
PlusNet should also inform customers where the bandwith is going. Like say 10% P2P / 50% HTTP / 40% Gaming etc. Also show how much of Bandwith is left(remaining.) This would make it clear for all the BB+ users Smiley
Best Wishes,
N/A

PlusNet P2P BB+

N/A

PlusNet P2P BB+

Above is a screenshot taken at 21:49. It is a working torrent as you can see by the green icon and has enough peers and seeds. PlusNet should advertise BB+ WILL NOT WORK WITH P2P!