cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet - Once excellent, now very dissapointing

N/A

Thought I would come on here and voice my concerns regarding PlusNet.

As a business user we have been a customer of PlusNet for around 3 years now and not had many problems at all, in the early days I could pickup the phone and after a short wait could get hold of an experienced support engineer.

I am now having problems with my ADSL and to be honest it's almost impossible it seems to get telephone support from PlusNet. I have tried calling the various numbers on the site, going through about 5 menu options, then being told I should leave a message and someone will call me back - in 8 hours!

The previous enquiry I had I logged online through the Questions section, which was a chore in itself, but now this doesn't seem to be possible, instead I am asked a number of generic questions, of which I would have to answer incorrectly to even proceed with submitting a ticket. I gave up after around 8 questions about my connection and despite answering "My broadband connection is ok, I am having problem browsing", it still asks me a number of irrelevent questions.

Pardon my ignorance, but is it possible to get in contact with PlusNet for anything but sales enquiries?

It would have been nice and far less inconvenient if PlusNet could have kept me updated and told me that it wasn't possible to contact them if I had a problem - If I had known that I would have gone with another provider by now.

--

With regards to the problem we are having, its very simple, none of my employee's are able to gain MSN Messenger access - a tool we use to communicate with partners, suppliers and customers frequently - unfortunately we have had to resort to using the web based MSN messenger.

All it would take is a confirmation from someone at PlusNet that they recognise a potential issue with running this application at present and that would be fine, but not being able to contact PlusNet and find out the most basic information is a worry for me and a sign that the company doesn't really care about it's customers enough to warrant the most basic of support.
5 REPLIES
Snarf
Grafter

All I can say is that the forums are always a good place to ask questions like yours.

In reply to your question, I don't have any problems with Messenger, and if you can connect to the internet with no problems, I'm not sure it's a PN problem. Of course it could be a routing issue, but I'm not too sure on that. Usually Messenger issues can be firewall related (if you're running a firewall it could be blocking Messenger's access). Although Messenger can also be a flaky program that doesn't always run - does it present you with an error when it tries to connect?
N/A

Thank you for the prompt reply. We haven't made any changes to our firewall or router configuration for quite some time (at least a year now) and we never have problems with messenger, apart from the odd time when it may go down for a few minutes, usually due to problems with MSN systems.

It's not a problem with my pc etc as my laptop which normally connects without issue to MSN couldn't connect, but I plumbed it into my GPRS phone earlier and used that as the connection instead of PlusNet and it connected fine.

I tried a restart of my firewall, router and even reinstalled MSN Messenger Live on my workstation to no avail. MSN doesn't report a problem, it just sits there with the "people" logo spinning forever attempting to connect - doesn't time out or anything, just sits there.

I rarely have problems with Plus.net, apart from a recent issue with outgoing FTP connections but this was reported by PlusNet as a problem with an access router (if I understood it correctly) and doesn't seem to be a problem, and although FTP is running fine now, MSN isn't.

In hind-sight I left the broadband fault checker online for a few minutes and it seems to have timed out, but then gives me the option to submit a new Question/Ticket, which I have done - if only there was a direct link to creating a ticket without having to go through a whole raft of questions first!
N/A

they've closed pending a sale -and that's what the shabby service has been all about for 9 months

RIP Plusnet
Snarf
Grafter

May be a routing issue - strange though because Messenger usually reports if it can't make a connection, or if there isn't an internet connection available, it just goes back to the red and white x. Sorry I can't suggest any other ways forward as you seem to have done all the sensible ones. Hopefully PN will be able to check if it's a routing issue.
N/A

Could try a ping, will let you know if its a routing issue, personaly I doubt it, unusual to get routing problems without bigger consequences.

J