cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet News server

N/A

PlusNet News server

Can anybody advise what is the address for plus.net newserver ?
TheHelp Assistant does'n't even mention newservers !!
Charles Davies
13 REPLIES
N/A

News server

usenet.plus.net

However, I've not been able to connect since about Friday. I raised a question on Monday morning, but had no response from Plusnet, despite caliming a 10 hour response time!
N/A

PlusNet News server

I have had an issue return since Friday, which I raised a question (19173996) over back in April and went through some very haphazard diagnosis for a month which never got to root cause. It was closed, since it resolved itself, with Plusnet Support saying 'it must have been a routing issue' (which we'd already ruled out). In essence, machines connecting wirelessly to my router take 90 seconds odd to get Usenet headers, when it's been instantanous since I was last seeing this, two months ago. It's only an issue with Plusnet's news servers, no other protocol is impacted.

If you're not getting a connection since Friday, may be the same underlying issue....
Njal
Grafter

PlusNet News server

usenet.plus.net

That's what I'm using too, no problems with news here.

http://www.plus.net/support/member_features/at_a_glance.shtml

gives the alternative:

Text Usenet: news.plus.net

It might be worth trying this alternative.

Regards

Neil
Community Veteran

PlusNet News server

Hi

I have just udated the grouplists for both "text.usenet.plus.net" and for "usenet.plus.net". I then did full updates to five groups, and found them to update very fast [around 5mbs].
So the probs you are experiancing are not a global one.
N/A

PlusNet News server

gives the alternative:

Thanks - I've bookmarked that page now!

I've tried the alternative, but this has the same effect. I would guess it is just the same server with a different name!

Keith
N/A

PlusNet News server

gives the alternative:

Thanks - I've bookmarked that page now!

I've tried the alternative, but this has the same effect. I would guess it is just the same server with a different name!

Keith
N/A

PlusNet News server

I have just udated the grouplists for both "text.usenet.plus.net" and for "usenet.plus.net". I then did full updates to five groups, and found them to update very fast [around 5mbs].
So the probs you are experiancing are not a global one.

And suddenly I get an instantaneous connection, after 5 days of it taking 90 seconds....
N/A

PlusNet News server

I have had an issue return since Friday, which I raised a question (19173996) over back in April and went through some very haphazard diagnosis for a month which never got to root cause. It was closed, since it resolved itself, with Plusnet Support saying 'it must have been a routing issue' (which we'd already ruled out). In essence, machines connecting wirelessly to my router take 90 seconds odd to get Usenet headers, when it's been instantanous since I was last seeing this, two months ago. It's only an issue with Plusnet's news servers, no other protocol is impacted.

If you're not getting a connection since Friday, may be the same underlying issue....

I guess it may be the same issue - the error I am getting is a timeout error, so my client probably isn't waiting 90 seconds.
N/A

PlusNet News server

I guess it may be the same issue - the error I am getting is a timeout error, so my client probably isn't waiting 90 seconds.

And I'm back to the same thing - I think what I saw earlier was just because the client hadn't dropped the session Sad
Community Veteran

PlusNet News server

Exactly what details are you entering for the connection parameters for the server?
You should have it something like this=

Hostname = usenet.plus.net <Or which ever one you want to use>
port = 119 <I cant remember if they allow other ports>
Account name= <leave blank>
password = <leave blank>

IE No auth is required, in fact it will screww it up if you are trying to auth from what I remember.
N/A

PlusNet News server

Exactly what details are you entering for the connection parameters for the server?
You should have it something like this=

Hostname = usenet.plus.net <Or which ever one you want to use>
port = 119 <I cant remember if they allow other ports>
Account name= <leave blank>
password = <leave blank>

IE No auth is required, in fact it will screww it up if you are trying to auth from what I remember.

Sorted!! I had my username and password entered. I've taken it out and it works fine. What I can't understand is that it has always been like that, so surely something must have changed at Plusnet's end. Still haven't had a response from them to my question though.

Thanks for your help.
N/A

PlusNet News server

Sorted here too - and agree, would like to know what changed. Interesting that I was seeing this issue for a month in April / May and no-one ever suggested this...
Community Veteran

PlusNet News server

Good.
Glad to help.