cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet DNS Issues affecting New Customers

N/A

Since 23rd December, PlusNet have had a serious issue with their DNS involving the creation of new records which has not yet been fixed.

PUG has concerns over a number of points surrounding this issue - for full details see http://usergroup.plus.net/news_xmasDNS.php.

Tim
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Since there is as yet no response on these forums this is the response on ADSLGuide at 15:18
I will chase this up ASAP for you, the issue was a problem with one of the servers and this has been rectified however some of the accounts which were affected still need soem further remedial work by development which has been slowed due to resource over Christmas.

As a follow up to this the script was run and as far as we can tell this has been rectified and is no longer an issues. It was treated with priority and was raised as a P1 problem and an engineer was called out.

Stewart Norriss
PlusNet Plusnet Comms Team Leader
JonathanW
Grafter

As Stew has said, the initial problem itself was delt with at the highest priority, as any such problem should be no matter what time of the year, or what time of day, it is. Though its possible that some of the cleanup has been delayed, but will be resolved as soon as possible.
N/A

The issue may have been partially fixed, but the response does not answer PUG's concerns in the article on the website.

Tim
LiamM
Grafter

Hey Tim,

Just wanted to say it's great to see more 'official-like' interaction between the PUG and customers on these boards.

This is quite a serious issue and you've brought it to my attention. I have a new signup affected now and I wouldn't have otherwise known.

Certainly would like to know how this happened.
___oDiN__
Grafter

maybe plusnet think users are mushrooms now..

keep them in the dark and feed them bulls**t

seems that way more and more these days reading here and on adsl guide i certainly thinking about jumping ship

Sad
N/A

As Stew has said, the initial problem itself was delt with at the highest priority, as any such problem should be no matter what time of the year, or what time of day, it is. Though its possible that some of the cleanup has been delayed, but will be resolved as soon as possible.

Sorry Jon, but when this was phoned through to CS by a member of PUG they were told it wouldn't be dealt with until after Christmas as it was low priority and basically washed their hands of it...

Not exactly what you'd expect for a P1 really?!? Unfortunately though - it's a very common response

"There is no problem" - Say it enough times and you may start to believe it <insert hypnotic eyed smiley here>
JonathanW
Grafter

Initially this might have been the case, but the problem was escalated to a higher priority and the appropriate actions taken. Though I wasn't in the office myself, Dave did have some input on the problem whilst in was in the process of being escalated to be delt with.
Community Veteran

Still no service status posted for this on-going problem which was clearly customer affecting.
kitz
Rising Star

Sorry Jon.....but Im not sure if Stews response is the correct answer :/

I was the first to actually get this reported as a problem and tried to take it up via PUG asap to get a resolution before it affected many other users.

Below is a log of what happened... There is a lot more info regarding this, but although I created the account, it was on behalf of someone else and therefore its unfair to discuss information about another users account on this forum or to name individual CS agents.

The facts here are

22/12/05. 17:45 Account created.

23/12/05. 00:25 Rang to report problem - account refreshed - was told would work within 4 hours.

23/12/05. 08.00 Problem still not resolved. Rang again.. agent didnt even bother to log my call on a ticket.

23/12/05. 8.30am because of 2nd agents disinterest and the promised SS about this problem had not been released I

took this up via PUG making you aware.

23/12/05. 10:49 Problem acknowledged.

23/12/05. 14:06 Told problem should be fixed.

23/12/05. 19:30 Problem not fixed rang CS again

23/12/05. 20:00 PN realise this is not an isolated case.

23/12/05. 20:00 Engineer called out. Engineer supposedly fixed his side of things.

24/12/05. Developers work needed to totally sort this issue fix scheduled for 5pm ish plus DNS propogation time.

25/12/05. 02:30 Cryptic message on ticket. Problem still not resolved Rang up CS to advise. Account destroyed and

re-created. Told should work by xmas morning in time to send and receive mail.

25/12/05. 02:45 Another account created to try and get EU a working email account.

25/12/05. 09.00 Mail on both accounts not working.

25/12/05. 09:15 Rang CS again to advise problem still outstanding.

As of now this problem is still not fixed... tbh I am very disappointed that even though I first raised this via PUG, I find that you answered on the public forums rather than to my queries via PUG. If Plusnet had taken this matter seriously when it was first raised then we would not be in this position now.

There are some facts about the public statement that dont quite seem to ring true.. therefore I have once again taken this back via PUG where hopefully you can answer my questions.

Apologies to those reading this now and wondering why I have taken it back to PUG.. but the reason for this, is although I did set the account up.. and did all the chasing round... its not my account to have info and facts talked about on the public forums. Sad
N/A

Just wanted to say it's great to see more 'official-like' interaction between the PUG and customers on these boards.

Thanks Liam - contrary to what some people may think, PUG members are not PlusNet's "fanboys", and we will certainly not defend their incompetence.

Tim
kitz
Rising Star

Update.

It appears that the DNS issues have all been resolved.. but the account on which the original problem occured now has other issues, and a new problem has reared its head.

Ive just rung up CS who have refreshed the mail components on the affected account... which looks as if this may (fingers crossed) have sorted the problem.
N/A

Hopefully it's fixed now as just managed to send email to the account I setup for a friend on 23/12 without a bounce. Pity webmail is banned at work so I can't see if the email has arrived or been swallowed in a black hole.

Ian