cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet DHCP server address?

N/A

My ADSL connection has stopped working, and I think it's because I'm not being assigned an IP address by PlusNet. The sync light is steady (I have an SMC 7401BRA router/modem) and the log says it has connected, but the status page doesn't show an IP address.

Do I need to specify an IP address for a PlusNet DHCP server so i can be assigned one?

(The router is quite happy to dish out IP addresses on my local network, however, it just doesn't get one from PN. The 'DHCP Client' option is enabled, but requires the IP address of a server).

Thanks.
8 REPLIES
N/A

The PlusNet DNS nameservers are:

Primary DNS Server 212.159.13.49
Secondary DNS Server 212.159.13.50
Optional tertiary DNS server 212.159.6.9

If you can reach the DNS servers I think that you should get a new DHCP lease. Try entering at least the first one of them.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

You shouldn't need to specify a DHCP server to connect. Don't think there is one because the IP address is assigned during authentication with RADIUS rather than via a DHCP server.

I'd suggest taking a look at

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/10

In particular try the two test logins near the top and see if they work, and assuming they do, try your own username again.
N/A

If you are on BB+ , I have DHCP enabled and it works fine
N/A

your modem/router acts as a DHCP server not plusnet.
N/A

Already have the correct DNS entries set up. I have had this up and working since 2002, and now my router/modem is not being assigned an IP address by PlusNet or whoever/whatever else assigns it.

I know my router acts as a DHCP server for my local network, but it also has to operate as a DHCP client to get an IP address to get on the internet. I haven't got a fixed IP address, so every time I've switched it on in the last four years it has had to get an IP address from somewhere. Now it's stopped doing that.

Accoring to the log it's connecting, but the 'status' page doesn't show and IP address which it used to to.

1/1/1970 0:0:0> Ethernet Device 0 Detected
1/1/1970 0:0:0> ATM: Detected
1/1/1970 0:0:0> ATM: Setting up vcc0, VPI=0, VCI=32
1/1/1970 0:0:0> NAT is enabled
1/1/1970 0:0:0> Client Filtering is enabled
1/1/1970 0:0:1> ADSL: Up rate 288, Dn rate 2272, Up SNR 7680, Dn SNR 5195, Up CRC 0, Dn CRC
1/1/1970 0:0:1> ADSL: FU 0, FD 0, HU 0, HD 0, ESN 0, ESF 0
1/1/1970 0:0:1> ADSL: LOSN 0, LOSF 0, LOFN 0, LOFF 0, LATU 0, LATD 0
1/1/1970 0:0:1> ADSL: ATMT 1, VID 34
1/1/1970 0:0:1> ATM Connected
1/1/1970 0:0:1> ATM layer is up, cell delineation achieved
1/1/1970 0:0:1> ADSL connected
1/1/1970 0:0:1> PPP1 PPPoA Connected

I'm trying to borrow another router to check if it's mine that's developed a fault.

Thanks for all your suggestions, though.
N/A

I've just been looking through some other posts. It seems that some older hardware doesn't support the 8mbps upgrade going on and won't connect, with similar symptoms to my own.

Even though SMC claim my SMC7401BRA router/modem will support up to 8Mbps, does anyone know from experience that it will or definitely won't work?

Cheers!
N/A

Just noticed that your VCI is set to 32, it should be 38
N/A

Wha-hey! You, sir - or madam - are an eagle-eyed star!

I can't believe I didn't spot that. No idea how that got changed. Internet pixies I suppose.

Cheers!