cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet Customer Support (Not)

canford
Grafter

Yesterday I needed to password protect some folders at my domain hosted by PlusNet. Having set up the .htaccess file it became clear that I had a problem with the path to htdocs. I went to the FAQ which covers the path in the case of <user.plus.net> but not the path to a hosted domain. After much use of Google, which produced nothing profitable, I raised a question. In it I explained the problem, mentioned that the FAQ did not cover this query and asked for the path.

18 hours later (average closure time just over 2 hours) I received a reply which referred me to the FAQ.It may be that this is a very simple question, to which the answer is blindingly obvious.... in which case why was the answer not given?

If, in my work life, I behaved as this CS agent did, I would be facing questions about my competence.

After this weekend's e-mail debacle I am already pointing my e-mail away from PlusNet servers, but am starting to wonder if web space hosted by PlusNet is yet another 'added value' service
10 REPLIES
N/A

Have you managed to do what you wanted? I did noticed that the ftp was very slow yesterday so this may have been the problem. I set up password protection last Friday without to much of a problem by using the information in usergroup. http://usertools.plus.net/htpasswd/
canford
Grafter

I too had noticed ftp slow for the past couple of days but, alas, I have not yet been able to protect the folders. I used the tool to which you refer, but my problem is not the password per se, rather the path to a domain such as <bloggs.co.uk> hosted by PlusNet. I need this for the .htaccess file.

Thanks
FooAtari
Grafter

Re: PlusNet Customer Support (Not)

If, in my work life, I behaved as this CS agent did, I would be facing questions about my competence.

I am in no way defending Plus.net, but in my experience (I worked in a call centre in customer services for 3 years) CS agents have VERY strict procedures to follow, with little flexibility, and also strict SLA's to deal with each customer very quickly. It isn't always the fault of the Agent. Obviously plenty mistakes are made which shouldnt be at the moment, and sometimes the CS agents are to blame, but what he did looks to me like it could be the first point in a list to resolve your problem. Refer customer to FAQ.

Just trying to give an argument from the other side of the fence, I'm not really trying to defend what has been very shoddy customer service for Plus over the last few months.
N/A

CS agents have VERY strict procedures to follow, with little flexibility, and also strict SLA's

That's where the problem is. Companies generate these procedures so that they can employ less skilled people. The agents use a check list and tick the appropriate boxes and cut and paste bog standard replys. At the end of the day this does not save any money as a problem that should only take one reply will need several attempts. Suppose the statistics may still look good as they are propably weighted to reponse times and not the number of responses it take for a problem to be resolved
N/A

I too had noticed ftp slow for the past couple of days but, alas, I have not yet been able to protect the folders. I used the tool to which you refer, but my problem is not the password per se, rather the path to a domain such as <bloggs.co.uk> hosted by PlusNet. I need this for the .htaccess file.

Thanks

Is the problem logging onto your ftp site or that you can't find the .htaccess file? Have you previously generated the .htaccess file? If not you need to write your own file and upload, this file does not exist by default.
canford
Grafter

Password protection is failing. As best I can tell this is due to an incorrect path in the .htaccess file. The path needed is to the .htpasswd file. It is required for the AuthUserFile directive.

The PlusNet FAQ deals with the path for <canford.plus.net> but not with the path for <bloggs.co.uk> hosted by PlusNet.

I may appear rather stupid so your patience and help is appreciated.
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

Assuming bloggs.co.uk is hosted on your canford PlusNet account, and not in a subdirectory, then the filestore pathname will be identical.

If it's in a subdirectory, then just append the subdirectory name to the above filestore pathname.

Regards, Neil
N/A

AuthUserFile /share/isp/plusnet/www/pc/pchambers/htdocs/paul/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName EnterPassword
AuthType Basic

require valid-user
AddType text/html .htm
AddHandler server-parsed .htm

Above is the contents of my .htaccess file. The pc is the first 2 letters of the user name, in your case it will be ca. Then your username. paul is the folder that my website reside in. I then uploaded both the .htaccess and .htpasswd to this folder. If you uploaded you web site to the .htdocs then uploading .htaccess and .htpasswd will protect all your webspace. Uploading to specific folders will only protect that part of your webspace. So if you have multiple websites it's better to protect them individually. If you go to www.pchambers.plus.com you might understand what I trying to convey.
FooAtari
Grafter

That's where the problem is. Companies generate these procedures so that they can employ less skilled people. The agents use a check list and tick the appropriate boxes and cut and paste bog standard replys. At the end of the day this does not save any money as a problem that should only take one reply will need several attempts. Suppose the statistics may still look good as they are propably weighted to reponse times and not the number of responses it take for a problem to be resolved

That's exactly the problem. Luckily (or unluckly) I worked in a billing department for a mobile phone compnay, so technical knowledge was not something we needed to know.

The other problem is though, having now got a qualification I have NO desire to go back to a call center unless I get a paid very well (Extra money for taking abuse! Smiley ), which is highly unlikely for the reasons stated above. They do not want technical people, so they can pay less.
canford
Grafter

Assuming bloggs.co.uk is hosted on your canford PlusNet account, and not in a subdirectory, then the filestore pathname will be identical.

If it's in a subdirectory, then just append the subdirectory name to the above filestore pathname.

Regards, Neil

Thanks, problem solved.

Thanks everyone