cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet Broadband Packages. Which is for what?

N/A

I am still quietly confused about all the packages that PN have on offer and dont understand which one is for what thing.

As far as I have read it Broadband Premier is the best for Residential but there are some caps on usage (30GB Peak and 100GB Off-Peak), 15GB usenet cap and a general P2P slowdown correct?

And Business Premier is the best package for Business users there are no caps on usage but this is aslong as you dont hammer the connection 24/7. There is a 15GB UseNet cap but what about the P2P slowdown?

Is there a distinct difference in things such as gaming online for the Business Account?

And does PN even recommend Residential customers of BB Premier to go to the Business Premier? If alot of customers start using the Business Premier instead of the Residential BB will that package also have further caps placed upon because of the customers moving over?
18 REPLIES
N/A

bump
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

With regards to Premier, you're correct. Though the figures aren't really a cap, just a usage level, as when you reach them you can continue to download, all be it at a slower rate than before.

The business accounts are shaped a little, though its not quite as much as the Residential Premier, as business accounts receive a slightly better assured rate.

Gaming shouldn't really be any different on the two, or if anything it will be slightly better on the business account, again due to the assured rate.

As for moving from Residential Premier to Business Premier, we wouldn't advise that, and its also not possible to do it if you've been contacted as part of the SUP. This is in part due to the fact that if too many people switched to business accounts to avoid the SUP, then we would have to introduce a similar system for business accounts.
N/A

The business accounts are shaped a little, though its not quite as much as the Residential Premier

What do you mean by shaped a little, does that mean that these accounts will also suffer from slowed P2P or not?
JonathanW
Grafter

Yes, they will see a little slowdown on p2p at busy times on the network. Though again, this won't really be noticable, unless there are other factors having an impact on speed at the same time.
N/A

I just keep seeing thread after thread of P2P slowdowns from 230k to 10k, but nobody has stated directly what packages this happens on, why it happens, how PN does it and how if you believe it to be wrong you can get PN to fix it.

I just dont want to pay £42 a month and not be able to use P2P at the correct speed.

Alot of software I use is open source and as such the makers cant use http or ftp servers and often use torrent files to distribute updates etc. Will bit torrent and other such software be affected on the Business Premier package by any sort of cap or slowdown that PN is responsible for?

I am not talking about excessive use just from time to time I have no choice but to use these type of P2P programs to download the odd thing. I was not informed when I made my migration about any caps, limits or anything and would like to make sure that this is still the same.
N/A

bump
N/A

Well I am also confused..Am considering moving from dialup to Broadband Plus and felt it would be nice to know how much I could download a month off peak. With dialup I can just about get 3Gbyte a month 1am - 7am 28 days a month.

Got onto Plusnet support and they do not appear to want to say how much I could achieve, only to say it might slow down a bit, even off peak.

Does anyone know from expereince the speeds that can realisticly be achieved off peak on the plus pacakge?
LiamM
Grafter

phearfactor. Plusnet's Vision may help you out on explaining that kinda stuff.

It's available here
LiamM
Grafter

Well I am also confused..Am considering moving from dialup to Broadband Plus and felt it would be nice to know how much I could download a month off peak. With dialup I can just about get 3Gbyte a month 1am - 7am 28 days a month.

Got onto Plusnet support and they do not appear to want to say how much I could achieve, only to say it might slow down a bit, even off peak.

Does anyone know from expereince the speeds that can realisticly be achieved off peak on the plus pacakge?

Faster than dialup anyway. I've seen people who have exceeded the SUP on BB+. For the money I think it's a fantastic product. So long as you don't expect the world on P2P and Usenet downloads you should enjoy it.
N/A

Hi

I thought there was no SUp on BB+

thanks
LiamM
Grafter

There isn't currently any restrictions in terms of how much you are allowed to download. What I meant was I know people who had exceeded the Premier SUP figures, but on Plus.
N/A

Hi
Thank you that a lot clearer now.. Cheesy

cheers
N/A

I get the feeling that with the BB+ product as long as you do big downloads when everyone's asleep, as long as they don't wake up and notice, you will have plenty of speed to make use of?

If the bandwith is there, why not use it?.
N/A

Yes, they will see a little slowdown on p2p at busy times on the network. Though again, this won't really be noticable, unless there are other factors having an impact on speed at the same time.

Not true there is quite a considerable slow down and very noticeable with no other factors impacting on the speed. I have tested this with several different P2P apps and all are the same. I might add that I don’t use P2P very much but after all the recent debacle on P2P speeds I decided to try it out…… and ……. I am not impressed.