cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNET ... What is So Premier about the Premier Account???

N/A

Hello to All Members of This Beloved Forum,

Is it me? Or does the PlusNet 2mb Premier Account all of sudden not feel that erm..... "Special".

I mean... I pay for premium £21.99 to have the "better service", which includes unlimted usage, option for static IP blocks and a host of all other stuff.

But... correct me if i'm wrong, what has happend to Unlimited Bandwdith or as PlusNet put it "Unmetered Internet" we pay the extra money for. We are now being restricted to pretty disgusting Traffic Bands, and if you exceed them you are sent an Email telling you that you have over used your "unlimited" premier broadband service? How does that sound right?

I mean if im paying for the Premier service why should I have to "plan" my downloads for the nightime when I need to download MySQL Databases, Linux Distros and so on at the time I need them?

And I know PlusNET have received alot of negative reedback regarding the bandwidth issues, but also the current news of Binary Newsgroups being dropped. Also I urge anybody to attempt to apply for a 8 IP block nowerdays, its like talking to people who have no understanding. For example your told you must have a certain setup to qualify you to have them but... most usual home setups do not qualify and its pointed more at "business networks" yet they give the Home Premier account the option to apply?

And to finish this off, and im speaking for a few PlusNet Customers I speak to. We are all of a sudden receiving 2 - 5 disconnects a day? Coincidencial Caps on Speed? Reliability Down Falls?

I mean come on PlusNET we know our Infustructure is not the best in the World, but sort out the service. Really worries me Cable Companies can make few adjustments and offer 10mb, where as BT seem to be struggling to offer 2mb in most places, 1mb in some!!! and in some remote parts even Broadband At All !!!

I totally Agree with P2P traffic shaping for Ilegal Downloads. maybe you should do some thorough research and realise that P2P is no longer the Bandwidth Hogger? You may be interested to know thats Torrents and IRC XDCC are the protocals you should be shaping.

Right... anyway sorry to go on, but since joing plusnet 12 months back, its gone from bad to worse, to god right awful.

Regards

Matt
28 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

With regards to the Premier account, and usage, this hasn't been sold as unlimited for quite some time and when it was listed as unlimited this was only for a short ammount of time and that was quickly removed. When you signed up, July 2005 looking at your forum join date, none of the packages were being advertised as unlimited, though its true that we had no set usage policy in place at that time.

Traffic management is something that we've been doing for several months now, with the SUP being introduced back in August/September last year. The product refresh announced earlier this week is the next step along the road of ensuring the platform remains useable by the vast majority during peak times.

With regards to your comments about a request for more than 1 IP address, as I'm sure you're aware IP addresses are a finite resource and as such certain criteria have to be met before we can give you a block of 8 addresses. The reason behind your request also has to fit in with the way in which the packages are deisnged, and the AUP for residential and business accounts.

There are many things that could be causing disconnects, especially with the spate of bad weather that we've been having recently. But if you, or other people, are experiencing regular disconnects then I would suggest running through the automated faults tool to help diagnose where the issue lies.

As for the infrastructure, some of this is out of our hands, as BTw are responsible for maintaining exchanges and the backhaul network. But some of the limitations are down to the fact that ADSL has its limitations, especially when combined with some of the aging copper phone cables that have been in place for decades. Where as the cable providers are using a different network technology and using a different medium to deliver the connection to the end user. But this too has its limitiations and is certainly not available in all locations. Here in Sheffield there are places that are unable to get a cable connection from Blueyonder, simply because there is no cable available to provide the connection.
N/A

Wait for it.....Praise from me for +net

Also I urge anybody to attempt to apply for a 8 IP block nowerdays, its like talking to people who have no understanding. For example your told you must have a certain setup to qualify you to have them but... most usual home setups do not qualify and its pointed more at "business networks" yet they give the Home Premier account the option to apply?

Having just applied and successfully recieved a block of 8 IPs I can only commend +net on the smooth running of things. After a bit of debate over whether I was actually using the service to run a business and once I had convinced them that due to my studying for a number of exams (CCNA, RHCE and MCDBA) I received a poilte email advising me that the block had been allocated. Now all I really have to do is have DNS configured to point to the appropriate kit on my LAN and we are off.

For this +net I commend you. It is not like me to be heaping praise on a provider who has annoyed me so in the past but the barrowloads of scorn I have poured have been diluted somewhat by this good example of customer service.

I totally Agree with P2P traffic shaping for Ilegal Downloads. maybe you should do some thorough research and realise that P2P is no longer the Bandwidth Hogger? You may be interested to know thats Torrents and IRC XDCC are the protocals you should be shaping.

I feel that you may be a little misguided in that statement.

BitTorrent is classed as a p2p application and is rightly shaped as you have stated it should be. I have been forced to reduce my downloading habits over p2p and while I can appreciate that you may "need that latest distro NOW!" there are a large number of sites where you can freely download the latest ISO images via HTTP thereby avoiding the throttling.

Just my tuppence worth, but primarily, congratulations on getting the customer care right this time +net.
N/A

""Here in Sheffield there are places that are unable to get a cable connection from Blueyonder, simply because there is no cable available to provide the connection""

Here in the sticks there's no chance of cable

Looking at the product update I think maybe I'll hang around a while and see how it goes, there are far worse ISP's out there many using underhand tactics to control usage,.

I'll give PlusNet credit for being upfront about things again and hope that the communication to customers reaches former levels

I'm a 2MB customer and wouldn't expect to see any speed increase as BT still say I should only have 1MB

Just hope the problems of late (slow browsing email timeouts etc) are not a sign of things to come......
N/A

Just wondering on the issue on the legality of imposed changes.

If we joined at a time with certain promises, and now it's all "managed" and "limited" and if over the limit, access is "blocked", is there something wrong here?

I mean, I'm sure if someone's on a 12 month contract, such changes should not apply? ie I've joined/signed up for "X".

I've certainly been with plus.net for years now, and at the time I joined the word "unlimited" was posted everywhere on the site!

But on the other side of the coin, if I signed up for "service X" = no changes, and would that mean I won't get free upgrades?

Just wondering what other people's views on this might be. Maybe if I'm right then only the said changes should apply to "new applications" and not to those who really did sign up for "X".

I agree & it's true that plus's "Premier" service doesn't feel that "special" or prestigious product anymore.

Free upgrades & managed bandwidth = quick surf/downloads which means a very quick linear downgraded service as you progress though the month!

I agree that something has to be done, but with April's announcement with a "block" on the table, the service we're getting is getting worse and worse.
N/A

as ive said in another post, the premier package is effectively broadband plus from 12 months ago. 15gb allowance at peak time is pretty much pathetic, with limits from 10gb.

Goodbye plusnet - what was once a serious ISP - now a laughing stock.
Ritey
Grafter

PlusNet is a PLC look at the finacial performance over the past year...

Link

Share price doubled...
Umm wonder if they'd like it if it fell...

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Image changed to url as it was stretching the page due to its size]
N/A

too much of a want to be like tiscali and wanadoo with noddy users.

they will be bought within 12 months.
Ritey
Grafter

i think you could be right...

Date: Fri 11:41

Subject: TAKE-OVER TARGET

Author: Gurkh

Not a huge company but looks at Turnover..

2003 - 17.39m
2004 - 27.81m
2005 - 35.19m
N/A

With regards to the Premier account, and usage, this hasn't been sold as unlimited for quite some time and when it was listed as unlimited this was only for a short ammount of time and that was quickly removed. When you signed up, July 2005 looking at your forum join date, none of the packages were being advertised as unlimited, though its true that we had no set usage policy in place at that time.

My problem with the limits is the over complication of it, if you had made it a hard cap of about 20 GB with the option to buy more if needed I would have been happy with that, as i a numpty my brain has introduced its own traffic management I cant get my head round it for long before I lose conection or go over the SUP and experience a major slow down :lol:

Traffic management is something that we've been doing for several months now, with the SUP being introduced back in August/September last year. The product refresh announced earlier this week is the next step along the road of ensuring the platform remains useable by the vast majority during peak times.

Traffic management it seems has had a bad effect on my experience with pn, it realy started to hit home about 3 months ago, on-line game playing has been a problem and constant disconects etc have finaly pushed me out.
I just have lost faith and only the good service I have had in the past has kept me here this long.
I agree with the need for pn to change but the way its been implamented in my huble opinion is overcomplex and has a bad efect on my sanity.

There are many things that could be causing disconnects, especially with the spate of bad weather that we've been having recently. But if you, or other people, are experiencing regular disconnects then I would suggest running through the automated faults tool to help diagnose where the issue lies.

I have been though storms and much worse weather than this with out any problems, but maybe my constant tears have given my conection line rot
:shock: :lol:
N/A

I think everyone who wants to be really heard regarding this issue should buy 1 share then go to their shareholder's meetings and really give our two cents!

Plus.net has been good, it's a shame that for the past year plus.net is constantly giving me reasons to leave.

Weird but I don't think plus.net has offered anything extra to me since I joined - since it's BT who reduces the wholesale prices for ADSL and also speed upgrades are actually passed on from BT!

I'm already on the lookout for another ISP.
N/A

15gb allowance at peak time is pretty much pathetic, with limits from 10gb..

Err, Any official source for this halfing of my limits?
N/A

The limits are covered in this post. On a 21.99 Premier package, peak time limits (4pm to midnight) for all usage will be 15GB, at various levels from 10GB limits will be imposed to usage (in an attempt to stop the user hitting that 15GB limit). So more and more heavy handed shaping gets applied gradually one you're 2/3rds of the way through you're monthly allowance.
N/A

Hi all

When i first came to PN the premier package was advertised as a unlimited service,then it went to 100GB off peak 30 GB peak (4pm to midnight)

then it went to 100 GB off peak and 30GB peak with a 20 GB limit on P2P with a peak time 8am till midnight

now we still got a 100GB off peak ( i think ) with 15GB peak time limit with the peak times going back 4pm till midnight which is throttled after 10GB.

DSlmax is coming along shortly faster speeds here we come,how much will be throttled by PN so they can keep there platform running smoothly during busy times

when i joined PN it was one of the best ISP's around 6 months down the line it's got to be one of the worst (where did you go wrong PN)

i noticed wannadoo have just introduced a unlimited service at £27.99 month with free set up and free modem (free means free if you stay for 12 months)

thats enough about them before i get a slapped wrist for advertising another ISP

if other ISP'S can do it why cant PN

theirs my sunday morning moan ill go and shut up now...
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

i noticed wannadoo have just introduced a unlimited service at £27.99 month with free set up and free modem (free means free if you stay for 12 months)

if other ISP'S can do it why cant PN

Unlimited provided you don't breach their FUP, which is difficult for you to avoid, since they give no guidence whatsoever as to what usage might be considered unacceptable - except to suggest that it would affect 'users who share files'.

At least you now have a very precise definition with PlusNet, which allows you to either work within the limits or choose to move to another ISP if they provide a better solution for your Internet usage.

Neil